Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "THAT'S NICE THAT THE ELECTRICIAN AND A-GANGERS WORKED ALL NIGHT TO GET THE DIESEL GENERATOR READY, BUT WE'RE NOT GETTING UNDERWAY UNTIL EVERY TOASTER IN THE WARDROOM PANTRY IS WORKING" quoted during Tautog's DustPac '85-86 Deployment
Eggs
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Gil
Posted 2023-10-18 4:27 PM (#104242)
Master and Commander

Subject: Eggs

During my short stint (USNR) we only went on one patrol.  We converted one chill box to a freeze box and went to sea with two freeze boxes.  Eggs were stowed in the FTR because it was the coolest part of the boat - we were in cold water.  After about about three weeks or so at sea I got my first taste of powdered eggs - it was not endearing.

I know submarine cooks are suppose to be very good, but my experience was different.  My reserve center at Terminal Island (skimmers also) had incredibly great food, and the tiny chow hall at Hunters Point was delicious for boot camp, sub school, and drydock.  The Pickerel had one cook that I thought was great as both a cook, and a baker - even soup downs.  The other two just didn't seem to really care, and I thought their food showed it.

On my one patrol the sonar chief would put on an Italian night every Thursday.  He would cook spaghetti and other pastas, and raffle off one beer and a frosted mug for the rec fund at ten cents a ticket.  The Pickerel would trade food with the BOQ at Pearl and we'd sometimes get some good things.  One night we got frog legs, and another night we'd got real steaks instead of the usual five-way beef.  Even these items didn't compare to the food at the other chow halls.

Did anybody have experience with powdered eggs?  As I mentioned I tried them once from one of our not great cooks and never tried them again.  Could a cook make powdered eggs that were worth eating?  I don't mind omelets, but not my powdered eggs omelet.  I just think that with the right condiments they could be better than terrible.  Also I think it took about 3-4 weeks for the switch to powdered eggs, I can't remember if the fresh eggs went bad, or we just ran out.  On boomers do they keep real eggs in a chill box, and can they last 90 days.  I've eaten eggs over four weeks old at home, and I can't tell the difference.

At home I've eaten eggs older than four weeks old and didn't notice any difference.  On boomers for 90 days do they have chill boxes at all.  If so can they have real eggs the whole patrol.
Ric
Posted 2023-10-18 6:31 PM (#104243 - in reply to #104242)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Eggs

We'd be out for 60 days. eggs would last most of that but the cooks would use powdered eggs for some recipes to make the whole eggs last especially when baking. We did have the powdered at the end of some patrols.
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2023-10-18 9:17 PM (#104244 - in reply to #104242)
Master and Commander

Powdered eggs are a staple in US Prisons. I know several, I think they are now called Detention Officers, that eat out of the prison kitchens. I have been told some of the inmate cooks can do an outstanding job with those powdered eggs. Especially in a sausage gravy containing them over biscuits. If you have ever seen the infamous picture of the Georgia Detention Officers graduating after probationary period you can tell they appreciate food.  For some reason I can not get that picture to post, sorry.

Edited by Sewer Pipe Snipe 2023-10-18 9:22 PM
Tom McNulty
Posted 2023-10-19 7:08 AM (#104245 - in reply to #104242)

Master and Commander

The 599 and 600 stored their eggs in the FTR under the deck. They lasted for a few weeks as I remember. But not being a breakfast person I didn't take that meal unless it included SOS, Foreskins, or steak and eggs. In the civilian world after the Navy I spent many a morning at a Holiday Inn Express where they sometimes had powdered eggs scrambled. I used to dine mostly on the biscuits and pork gravy which was pretty good. So, in my opinion, powdered eggs cab be not so bad when cooked properly.
Ric
Posted 2023-10-19 7:28 AM (#104246 - in reply to #104245)

Plankowner

Same was true with powered milk. If made right it was acceptable. We made it the day before and put it in the chillbox. It beat orange juice on cornflakes.
During the gas crunch of the early '70's I would make it for drinking and baking in a gallon bottle and put one of those small cans of Pet Milk in it for the cream taste. Worked pretty good. and my bread came out great. Anything so I wouldn't have to drive anywhere and burn gas.
Gil
Posted 2023-10-19 9:56 AM (#104248 - in reply to #104242)
Master and Commander

On my boat we normally kept one chill box and one freeze box almost always.  On our patrol the chill box was converted to another freeze box - I assume that's standard.  Do boomers even have chill boxes?  Also does their crew have to walk over provisions in the passageways when a patrol starts?  
Doc Gardner
Posted 2023-10-19 5:02 PM (#104249 - in reply to #104242)

Master and Commander

I rode the boats before and after my tour in Vietnam as an FMF Corpsman. On Skipjack I was a Deckape and did my 60 days as a mess cook. Our eggs stored in torpedo room bilge lasted about three weeks. Scrambled powdered eggs were then served and our cooks did their magic. When I returned from Vietnam after eating C-Rats for 13 months they could have served me fried armadillo and I’d have eaten it as long there was enough Tabasco.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software