Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjo” -- Chief Officer Steward Dogan on the USS Gurnard during WWII
Anybody Ever Get One
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Gil
Posted 2024-04-07 8:47 AM (#104702)
Master and Commander

Subject: Anybody Ever Get One

I was on a site where a boat sailor got  issued one of these in the early 70's. I was long gone by then and a civilian in the Seventies.  Were these issued on anyone's boat.  Were they issued on some surface ships - anybody know if they are used these days?  

May be an image of text
Ric
Posted 2024-04-07 9:15 AM (#104703 - in reply to #104702)

Plankowner

Subject: RE: Anybody Ever Get One

When at A-school I had one I had to get from the MAA to leave the base and turn in on coming back. At sub school we got one, don't think we ever turned them in. When I reported to the Flasher I was issued one and told to keep it in my wallet. We never had to turn them in. Had to get one at TI I think.
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2024-04-08 6:52 PM (#104706 - in reply to #104702)
Master and Commander

I started boot camp in September 1967, and we had them for liberty in Chicago; never saw one after that.

In December 1967 when I reported to A School on a Saturday, the PO1 at the "quarter deck" assigned me a bunk and told me I was on liberty until muster at 8AM Monday.

I didn't go anywhere; but I guess I could have.

Gil
Posted 2024-04-09 11:19 AM (#104708 - in reply to #104702)
Master and Commander

When I finished my year of attending reserve meetings and reported to Terminal Island I was pretty green.  I was an E-3 that had been to my two week boot camp, and 4 week sub school during summer vacation from junior college.  I drove my '62 Chevy on the base and was assigned to the transit barrack - no valet parking.  The MAA tpld me I had the duty, and was assigned  the barracks watch.  I was so naive that after the watch I drove to my parents house and spent the night (six miles away).  In the morning I was told by the other guys in the barracks you can't do that.

In my one year of attending monthly reserve meetings we never knew what  duty was, and in boot camp and sub school at Hunters Point during the year we never had duty - I didn't even know what this thing called a chit was. My very first reserve meeting my mother had ironed my uniform.  While I was standing at my first muster I realized that everybody else's uniform creases were the opposite of mine.

When I was at Terminal Island the first week of the regular active Navy duty consisted of walking through the various barracks with a billy club. My interest was peaked because that also included the one Wave barracks there.  During the day our tasks were doing landscaping around the base which included the mini golf course.  This ended when my reserve center realized I was active.  They had me assigned to their center to do mostly waxing decks.

My orders came after about four weeks and they shocked me on a late Friday afternoon.  First I was assigned riverboat school, then survival training, and then Da Nang, Vietnam for riverboat patrol.  I immediately went to the base office and told them I thought there had been a mistake as I had graduated from sub school.  Turned out everybody had left their offices, and I had to wait until Monday to get a response.  After a harrowing long weekend for me and my parents my orders were rescinded and three, or four weeks later I was ordered to meet the Pickerel at Pearl Harbor. Whew, I breathed a sigh of relief.  I had just gotten in the Reserves days after taking my draft physical.  I only joined the Navy to keep away from being an  "Army Grunt" in 1965 Vietnam.  My Dad had done combat in P.I. during WWII, and he didn't want his only awkward, clumsy kid in Vietnam getting shot at either.

I did get to see Vietnam in June of '68 off Yankee Station, but being a member of the Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club is a lot safer than riverboat patrol.
PaulR
Posted 2024-04-10 8:03 AM (#104710 - in reply to #104702)

Master and Commander

YES.  I still have it. 

Issued in NOV 1964 on Sea Robin. I think we were heading to PNSY for overhaul. 

It's stamped "CIVILIAN CLOTHES AUTHORIZED"

For some reason I'm unable to attach an image file. OPERATION NOT ALLOWED

Edited by PaulR 2024-04-10 8:06 AM
carlb
Posted 2024-04-10 5:33 PM (#104713 - in reply to #104702)
Senior Crew

They were used in San Diego Training center when I was in A school in 1960...I remember having to go the Base XO asking for it to be returned after I got picked up for under age drinking...
carl b.
Coyote
Posted 2024-04-11 8:58 AM (#104715 - in reply to #104702)

Master and Commander

Used on USS Sarda SS488 in 58-59.

Cards were passed out daily by the duty CPO after he checked a list. If you were dink, you didn't get liberty.

Coyote
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software