Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: ENS Sam Hunter, the first submarine casualty of WWII on Dec. 8, 1941. He was attached to Sea Dragon moored next to Sealion. He was killed by shrapnel from the first bomb hit on Sealion penetrating the conning tower of Sea Dragon. The second hit killed 4 men in Sealions Engineroom.
Is my info correct?
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Runner485
Posted 2024-04-21 4:51 AM (#104743)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Is my info correct?

My brother-in-law has seasons tickets to the NY Mets. At a day game last week a 3 star Admiral was introduced as the veteran of the week. He has 40 years of service and is retiring next month. he also threw out the first pitch. He was in uniform.

More important to me was this next bit if info...
But the next veteran was a Chief Petty officer who was on a vessel the fired the first missals into Iraq during the first war. ??? I told my in-law that was a submarine. I wasn't completely sure about that. Can anyone verify that? 
fortyrod
Posted 2024-04-21 6:15 AM (#104744 - in reply to #104743)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Is my info correct?

June 1993, USS Peterson DD969, retaliation for assination attempt on president bush ordered by pres clinton,. First in the gulf war was USS Bunker Hill firing 31 missles.

Edited by fortyrod 2024-04-21 6:26 AM
fortyrod
Posted 2024-04-21 2:31 PM (#104750 - in reply to #104743)
Great Sage of the Sea

And here I find it was USS Loisville
https://www.jstor.org/stable/43989115
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2024-04-21 5:17 PM (#104752 - in reply to #104743)
Master and Commander

I believe it was the first "submerged" launch of tomahawks in combat.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world/everything-to-know-about-tomahawk-missiles-speed-cost-and-destructive-power/ar-AA1ncPtc

The U.S. Navy states that 140 total craft are capable of launching Tomahawks. That number consists of Ohio-class submarines, Arleigh Burke-class destroyers, and more.

The USS Missouri, a World War II-era battleship and the very last of its kind, was fitted to fire Tomahawks during the opening salvos of the First Gulf War. It fired a total of 28 cruise missiles, in addition to its 16-inch deck guns.

The submarines USS Louisville and USS Pittsburgh launched Tomahawks in 1991 at targets in Iraq and became the first submarines to fire Tomahawks while submerged.

geno
Posted 2024-04-22 8:22 AM (#104753 - in reply to #104743)
Old Salt

I believe a lot of Tomahawk information gets passed and it's not totally correct. Prime example is; FACT - USS Barb in February 1977 successfully launched the first Tomahawk cruise missile. I know because I ws there as leading TM. The Barb's launch was unique in the world of Tomahawk in that it was sbmeged from a standard torpedo tube. Yes, launched horizontally. A few years later someone asked who launched the first Tomahawk and the answer came back as a 688 class boat. Only problem with iinformation is that the correct part should have been which 688 class boat first launched Tomahawk. The reason - this 688 boat was the first vertical launch boat. Barb was not in a war zoone when she launched, it was off the coast of San Clemente Island. Barb crew were highy elated since she had sent seven that were failures, three of which sank to the bottom. Interesting in that it takes two different types of physics when launching issiles. From a torpedo tube or a launcher on teh surface ship brute force trig is all that is necessary for targeting. Vertical launches requires the use of Euler angles better know as direction cosines to align the weapon to the launcher, launcher to the ship and ship to enertial Mother Earth. But in the end I truly don't know who launched first in a war zone.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software