Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: “What wordy praise can one give such men as these; men who … follow unhesitatingly when in the vicinity of minefields so long as there is the possibility of targets … Men who flinch not with the fathometer ticking off two fathoms beneath the keel … Men who will fight to the last bullet and then start throwing the empty shell cases. These are submariners.” - Eugene Fluckey in his final war patrol report aboard USS Barb
Women in uniform
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Flapper
Posted 2008-03-05 12:32 PM (#13509)

Master and Commander

Subject: Women in uniform

I could crowd into a foxhole with some of these military gals.
Coutesy of Brock, over on Rontini's BBS ... enjoy!:
http://funtasticus.com/20080226/defending-your-country-is-not-an-easy-job/

Edited by Flapper 2008-03-07 4:52 PM
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-03-05 5:48 PM (#13522 - in reply to #13509)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Women in uniform

Back in the early '60's I bilged out of Nuke School at Bainbridge, MD. Bainbridge at that time was also the WAVE boot camp. I was assigned to base public works while waiting on orders. When new recruit WAVEs would report in there were some real beauties mixed in. After about 3 weeks these beauties were hidious. I don't know what those WAVE Company Commanders did to those girls but---yuck-- whatever it was wasn't good.
Mac McCoy
Posted 2008-03-05 6:23 PM (#13523 - in reply to #13509)
Senior Crew

1959. Spent a couple of months in Bainbridge. Ralph those "Waves" looked much better when they were in Lancaster on liberty. Once you got rid of that uniform. OOPS Almost forgot that this is read by more than boat sailors.
TSpoon
Posted 2008-03-05 6:31 PM (#13524 - in reply to #13509)
Great Sage of the Sea

Ralph,
Remember the two WWII porp air planes in front of the Wave HQ? They would line up the new recruits, start the props spinning, then march the girls through.

In 1963 we called it, "Giving them the Prop Job". This was usually done somtime over their first weekend in camp. It was also the only explanation we could come up with as to why they became so ugly so quickly. It was either that or the boot hair cuts they got along with a new issue of dungarees and a tremendous lack of sleep.

Take your pick as to cause.

T.Spoon, DBF
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-03-06 7:13 AM (#13534 - in reply to #13509)
COMSUBBBS

Tim, I forgot the "prop job". It brought back some flash backs----- thanks. As I said, I was assigned to Public Works on the base and every night there were calls for us to go to the WAVE barracks and correct over flowing toilets and stopped up shower drains. No chances of shooting squirrels. That old Company Commander Matron watched us like a hawk.
This was in Dec 1963. I left there Dec 20 with orders back to Chasn. Squadron 4 and the USS Sennet SS-408. It was snowing like a b*&^% that day. I was driving a '57 Olds towing a '31 Model "A" Ford. Sure was glad to leave that place. A '57 Olds and a '31 Model "A"---- those were the days my friend we thought they'd never end. Sure would be nice to have either one of those in my driveway today.
The Olds had the J-2 progressive carbs and a B&M transmission and gasoline was $0.25 a gallon.
Bear
Posted 2008-03-06 8:10 AM (#13536 - in reply to #13509)

Great Sage of the Sea

TINS  It rained so hard one night during the summer of 69 that early on we were able to float down the hill (starting at the barracks used by the WAVE staff) on air matress and boards etc all the way past Nuc School to where the Data Clerk school was ( almost to the Hospital) except for trees and the new water fall/rapids we could have made it to the river During the course of the night the storm continued to grow the water rose and eventually destroyed several of the cars in the parking lot that were not moved in time including a VW that it sent down stream almost to the river and a brand new Chevelle that water washed over caused shreaks of anguish to the young PO who "volunteered" several more years in Naval Servitude to provide a shiny new blue break water in the parking lot. The bulk of the WAVEs were over near where the RM school was you guys days and the only ones in the cage on the hill had been beaten with the Ugly Stick that we pleaded for them to leave their clothes on (all but one young PNSN but that is a different story) they were Coyote Ugly when that meant UGLY. But there were still several that had to leave at Summers end bound for Idaho and Ballston Spa (it was not until Prototype that the Windsor Locks gang started to pick up luggage, mainly by depriving the young children of Mass. from there young educators to be, as the teachers college just across the border was just close enough to party with the "Boys from the Lake"

Edited by Bear 2008-03-06 8:16 AM
iPOD
Posted 2008-03-06 1:04 PM (#13554 - in reply to #13509)

Master and Commander

My daughters ship HMAS PERTH had a mini olympics recently and as the Engineering Department had no girls these two beauties filled in.

(Girls.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Girls.jpg (41KB - 742 downloads)
Corabelle
Posted 2008-03-06 9:24 PM (#13579 - in reply to #13509)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: I dunno, POD . . .

The one on the right is kinda cute, but that blonde needs to shave her legs, underarms and chest.

Cora
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-03-07 10:50 AM (#13601 - in reply to #13509)

COMSUBBBS

As the proud Father of a daughter who just completed twenty years of service in the UNITED STATES ARMY (all active duty) to include 15 years of full combat jump status in the 82nd Airborne, I not only recognize the dedication and contribution of women in uniform, but have had twenty years of exposure to many of them. My daughter went in on the left hook attack in Desert Storm and lived several weeks in a "fighting position" she dug...roofed and sandbagged. She was a Sgt. in charge of an all-male sigint team. For her great work she was awarded two Army Commendation Medals...one by Gen. Henry Shelton (Then CO of the 82nd and a Maj. Gen. later became Chairman of the Joint Chiefs) Upon their return the 82nd Command Sgt. Major (Acosta)assigned Kris to the Headquaters Staff as Non-Co0mmissioned Officer in Charge (NOIC) and Maj. Gen Shelton, BG's Nix and Kellogg recommended her for OCS. Rather than attend gender norming OCS she selected the Infantry School OCS at Benning where the course was geared to a male standard. Upon graduation and commissioning she was awarded the Jess Walls saber for outstanding leadership. If she has not claimed it since retirement it still hangs i8n the entrance3 foyer in the 82nd Headquarters Building.Her rationale, if you are going to lead troops in 'Americas Guard of Honor", the spearpoint of the rapid deployment force, you'd damn well better be able to lead them. She did a tour as a platoon leader in the 3rd Infantry Division leading a collection and jamming platoon in the Intelligence Battalion. Then Shelton, now with three stars and Commanding the !8th Airborne Corps brought her back to Command the Headquarters Company in the 82nd ABN Aviation Brigade...When she left the 82nd as a major she was a qualified Master Parachutist (aka Master Blaster) primary jumpmaster, loadmaster and had hundreds of full combat equipment jumps and NEVER had jumped a sports parachute. There's a story, that I can't get confirmed...Women of the 82nd were ordered to attend a briefing by ladies...I believe they were Ann Coulter, a Phyliss Schlafley and some honey named Ilene Donnelly who were representing a White House created tean called DACOWITZ....These women were sent to explain that female assignment in combat support roles was being reconsidered. At one point Kris asked them to explain their military credentials and branches in which their expertise was acquired. None had served, she smiled and said..."I really admire your shoes and hairdoos." and exited along with several other female jumpers. She said, they had no right to reduce her pride in serving her flag. I know that Roy Ator has the same pride in his wonderful daughters service...I do. So when you're thi9nking about female contribution, remember the women who have worked like hell to prove worthy of accepatance and respect...and have. DEX
Runner485
Posted 2008-03-07 11:26 AM (#13603 - in reply to #13509)

COMSUBBBS

You guys must be really old....Not one of youse mentioned the beauties that appeared in those photo's....Made me sad that I can't be in a foxhole with two or three of 'em.....Make for a good nights sleep, wouldn't it!
Smiley
Posted 2008-03-07 12:57 PM (#13605 - in reply to #13554)
Great Sage of the Sea

iPOD - 2008-03-06 2:04 PM

My daughters ship HMAS PERTH had a mini olympics recently and as the Engineering Department had no girls these two beauties filled in.

Tee Hee... Ozzie or Greek Navy...well shiver me timbers it's the HMRAN "Raging Queen"...
Smiley
Posted 2008-03-07 1:03 PM (#13607 - in reply to #13601)
Great Sage of the Sea

dex armstrong - 2008-03-07 11:50 AM

As the proud Father of a daughter who just completed twenty years of service in the UNITED STATES ARMY (all active duty) to include 15 years of full combat jump status in the 82nd Airborne, I not only recognize the dedication and contribution of women in uniform, but have had twenty years of exposure to many of them. My daughter went in on the left hook attack in Desert Storm and lived several weeks in a "fighting position" she dug...roofed and sandbagged. She was a Sgt. in charge of an all-male sigint team. For her great work she was awarded two Army Commendation Medals...one by Gen. Henry Shelton (Then CO of the 82nd and a Maj. Gen. later became Chairman of the Joint Chiefs) Upon their return the 82nd Command Sgt. Major (Acosta)assigned Kris to the Headquaters Staff as Non-Co0mmissioned Officer in Charge (NOIC) and Maj. Gen Shelton, BG's Nix and Kellogg recommended her for OCS. Rather than attend gender norming OCS she selected the Infantry School OCS at Benning where the course was geared to a male standard. Upon graduation and commissioning she was awarded the Jess Walls saber for outstanding leadership. If she has not claimed it since retirement it still hangs i8n the entrance3 foyer in the 82nd Headquarters Building.Her rationale, if you are going to lead troops in 'Americas Guard of Honor", the spearpoint of the rapid deployment force, you'd damn well better be able to lead them. She did a tour as a platoon leader in the 3rd Infantry Division leading a collection and jamming platoon in the Intelligence Battalion. Then Shelton, now with three stars and Commanding the !8th Airborne Corps brought her back to Command the Headquarters Company in the 82nd ABN Aviation Brigade...When she left the 82nd as a major she was a qualified Master Parachutist (aka Master Blaster) primary jumpmaster, loadmaster and had hundreds of full combat equipment jumps and NEVER had jumped a sports parachute. There's a story, that I can't get confirmed...Women of the 82nd were ordered to attend a briefing by ladies...I believe they were Ann Coulter, a Phyliss Schlafley and some honey named Ilene Donnelly who were representing a White House created tean called DACOWITZ....These women were sent to explain that female assignment in combat support roles was being reconsidered. At one point Kris asked them to explain their military credentials and branches in which their expertise was acquired. None had served, she smiled and said..."I really admire your shoes and hairdoos." and exited along with several other female jumpers. She said, they had no right to reduce her pride in serving her flag. I know that Roy Ator has the same pride in his wonderful daughters service...I do. So when you're thi9nking about female contribution, remember the women who have worked like hell to prove worthy of accepatance and respect...and have. DEX

Dex Woman Marine and USAF Pilots have been operating "Hot Combat" ops since this all began back in 2001... Woman Marine "MudPushers" have raked up quite a record and reputation.. My Son owes his Butt to one in particular..
I know a few Army Helo pilots have been in the game too but that was "unofficial" unlike the Marine and Airforce Ladies who operate combat ops on a normal rotation with the dudes..
Darrin
Posted 2008-03-07 2:00 PM (#13609 - in reply to #13509)

Great Sage of the Sea

In my last unit we had the first female attack pilot to cross the berm during operation desert storm and then later to cross on the intial wave again in a attack helicopter for operation iraqi freedom.
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-03-07 2:19 PM (#13611 - in reply to #13509)

COMSUBBBS

Smiley, Why in the hell was that adressed to me? What in the hell made you think I wasn't well aware of the fine contribution that the women of all our Armed Services have made? I am very aware of it... The simple fact is that MY DAUGHTER was a soldier...she didn't fly helicopters, operate out of a field medical unit, drive a tank, fly jets...she exited aircraft and gave this nation 20 years of stellar service. complete unwavering devotion to duty and I was proud of her, I can remember a time when submarine bulletin boards lit up with posts relating to no women in combat support roles, assigned to submarine duty (Most nations to include Great Britain, Australia, and Norway have women serving on board their submersibles.) and operating in at risk positions. I have lived with a direct link to the diffuculties women have had trying to compete in what was a man's world and the embarassment when they come up short....My daughter beat the entire staff of the only parachute division left in combined pistol and rifle marksmanship and the comments were ones of resentment and fear that the 101 Air Assault Division would ride them about being out shot by a female. Smiley, the last thing this family wants or needs is a lecture on military participation of women. Every damn one of us have National Cemetary reservations. DEX
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-03-07 2:44 PM (#13613 - in reply to #13509)

COMSUBBBS

By the way Smiley in the first Gulf War my daughter occupied a position on the Euphates River that was shelled by the retreating Iraqi Republican Guard...that was in the early 90's...Does that count? Why in God's name do folks feel compelled to discount other peoples military contribution by playing some kind of "let me tell you about something you didn't know." trump card. Kris is a helluva young lady and known and respected by several who post here. Hey, times are changing...when I rode the boats, our Corpsman who was black couldn't pee in the same restrooms I could go into in Virginia. I remember the restroom in the Fredericksburg Va train station (The Richmond, Fredericksburg and Potomac Railway) having a sign WHITES ONLY....Doc King got on the train and sat down next to me..."Man, You should have seen the inside of the COLORED ONLY head it looked like a filthy mess." Times change...Women are in more at risk jobs because of thje simple fact that males are no longer burdened with the manly obligations felt by previous generations and don't volunteer...even with the obscene bonuses, incentives, education benefits and all the other geedunk dumps. That might be why more and more frontline job specialties are opening up to women and paid mercenaries that make beaucoup bucks and don't come under the UCMJ or any form of moral regulation....Women and Wyatt Earps. Hey, bottom line, Major Kristine Margaret Armstrong racked up twenty years of highly exemplary service and every damn one of us in the Armstrong tribe are damn proud of her and in the words of General George S. Patton,"When in the future her grandkids climb up on her knee and say Gramma what did you do in the war? She won't have to look down and say"I shovelled s**t in Louisiana." )With apologies to General Patton.) DEX
Runner485
Posted 2008-03-07 4:39 PM (#13617 - in reply to #13613)

COMSUBBBS

Chill Dex...I think your reading into Smiley's post something that ain't there! At least I didn't see it!
Flapper
Posted 2008-03-07 4:55 PM (#13619 - in reply to #13603)

Master and Commander

Runner485 - 2008-03-07 12:26 PMYou guys must be really old....Not one of youse mentioned the beauties that appeared in those photo's....Made me sad that I can't be in a foxhole with two or three of 'em.....Make for a good nights sleep, wouldn't it!

Speak for yourself, Runner! If you look at my intro to the original post above, I said:
"I could crowd into a foxhole with some of these military gals."
And heck! I'm old enough to be some of lady's Grandpa, heh heh.
Flapper
Posted 2008-03-07 4:59 PM (#13621 - in reply to #13617)

Master and Commander

Agree, Runner!
chill, Dex; Smiley wasn't denigrating or comparing Kristine to other women military ... he was simply making the point that others (in other branches) also have been in the thick of it.
Smiley
Posted 2008-03-08 11:48 AM (#13651 - in reply to #13613)
Great Sage of the Sea

Dex You have miss understood my post.. I am sorry if I rose your hackles.
Please pass my thanks alone to your Daughter for her fine service. My Son has also been in a few scraps from Panama to Samolia to Bosnia, Afgan and Iraq and is still serving and I can appreciate your well deserved pride.. It's just that I was really surprised when I first heard the War stories about Filley Grunts and Airdales getting in down and dirty in Afgan and Iraq that's all I was passing along.....my mistake..

Edited by Smiley 2008-03-08 11:49 AM
Smiley
Posted 2008-03-08 12:04 PM (#13653 - in reply to #13522)
Great Sage of the Sea

I remember being right out of Bootcamp going to BP and E school in Great Lakes where a few of us were walking down a sidewalk in a light rain shower.. A USMC Female Major in Raincoat and a rubber cover on her cap was walking past us Southbound while we were Northbound.. We were "collectively and quite obviously checking out her fine calves as she approached.. that's about when she went berserk because we did not salute her!! I, being the rookie boot camp wise ass I used to be said " we don't salute grunts lady, much less lady grunts".. Holy moley did it hit the fan.. We put her into Hyper and unbridled PMS.. She had all of us report to the base OD and wanted to put us on report... To make a long story short we apoligised because we could not determine her rank yadi ya..... She calmed down and we got extra duty for a few weeks as a result.. My first experience with a lady in Uniform... There were other much nicer experiences to follow in the distant future with Lady servicepeople..
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software