Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: In 1921, a United States submarine, the R-14, having run out of fuel at sea while looking for the missing tug USS Conestoga, rigged sails from blankets and hammocks sewn together. Bunk frames were used for yardarms and booms. The torpedo loading king post for a fore mast, the torpedo loading boom for a mizzen mast and the telescoping radio mast, for the main mast. The R-14 sailed 100 miles in five days to the port of Hilo, T.H. at a speed of two knots. It has been reported in March 2016 that the Conestoga has been located 3 miles off Southeast Farallon Island, probably sinking with-in a day of leaving port. All hands lost.
B-a-a-d Day at Black Rock! (NSR)
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Corabelle
Posted 2008-03-07 8:06 PM (#13627)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: B-a-a-d Day at Black Rock! (NSR)

I took Gracie to the Beauty Shop (the doggie one) today, for her first 'grooming' since we've been a team. I was 'sposed to pick her up in two hours. When I went back after her, the 'groomer' told me that she was running into some difficulties because Gracie had quite a few tangles, and that it would take another hour at least.

I went shopping. When I returned at the (2nd) appointed time, the 'groomer' had clipped an 'elbow' and made it bleed; she had cut one toenail too close, and that was bleeding profusely; and she had clipped Gracie's tongue. Yeah - her tongue! If you've ever had a child who has bitten their tongue, you know what a marvelous blood supply tongues have.

The 'groomer' tried to staunch the blood flow, without a whole lot of success. While we were heading home, I stopped about two blocks from the "Shaggy Wag," and called my vet (veterinarian). No doctors were in today, but the vet tech told me that if she didn't stop bleeding in another hour, I should bring her in.

After we got home, Gracie kept licking her foot - the one with the too-close clip - and there was blood both on that foot and all over her face. So I took her to see the tech.

The tech determined that the toenail wasn't bleeding, but Gracie was keeping the tongue bleeding by continually licking her owie foot. I don't know for sure what she did, I was told to stay in the waiting room because my little Maltese is definitely a "hyper" puppy, and they thought she might settle down better without my sympathetic presence.

I brought her home again, and gave her ice cubes to lick. Everything seems a-ok at the present time.

The 'groomer' didn't charge for her services.

Ask me if she's going back to the "Shaggy Wag."

Not

Poor baby.

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2008-03-07 8:08 PM
SOB490
Posted 2008-03-08 6:26 AM (#13642 - in reply to #13627)

Old Salt

Subject: RE: B-a-a-d Day at Black Rock! (NSR)

At the risk of having to explain the pun to the youngsters hereabouts, that's a shaggy dog story if I ever heard one!

I'll bet that you couldn't take the dog back there even if you wanted to -- dogs do have long memories!

Edited by SOB490 2008-03-08 6:27 AM
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2008-03-08 3:16 PM (#13660 - in reply to #13642)
Master and Commander

When I hunted dogs, we had something like a steptic pencil in powder form for broken toe nails. Only mouth problems were missing teeth from fights with hogs. Then it was direct pressure to stem the flow. Used a lot of military pressure bandages for the other places. Finally found a strain of Louisiana Leopard Curs that seemed to know which end of the hog was dangerous. They would wear the hog down, till the hog had no fight left. Rarely if ever did they get cut. Last one I had taught my Airdale how to do it. After she died, the Airdale got cut because her partner wasn't there to distract the hog when she locked. Since then we have both retired. Now we are trying to raise an Australian Shepard between the two of us. Smart little dog, but one bundle of energy for two old timers to deal with. Poor old Lady sleeps real well each night because "Z" has worn her out. If I get out the hog gun to clean, Lady is still ready to go, at least in her mind.
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-03-08 5:22 PM (#13664 - in reply to #13627)

COMSUBBBS

Cora,

I'm glad to hear Gracie is OK...and as for making a trip out there...I would love it. Right now, we are both trying to ease back into life around here, taking it one step at a time, keeping every extremity crossed, praying that no more surgery will be needed. So, we will see.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software