Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS Cusk was only one of four US submarines to ever receive the Republic of Vietnam Meritorious Unit Citation - Gallantry for her service in Vietnam. Cusk, was awarded seven awards during 1965, 1967, 1968, and 1969,The other three boats were the USS Sculpin (SSN-590), the USS Razorback (SS-394), two awards during 1967 and 1969, and the USS Ronquil (SS-396), two awards during 1966-67 and 1968.
Pig Boats presentation by John Clear
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dirty dave
Posted 2008-03-09 10:00 PM (#13703)

Crew

Subject: Pig Boats presentation by John Clear

Last Saturday I had the privilege to attend the presentation Silent Service Speaks:Giving Voice to the Past given by our shipmate John Clear(crystal). at the Naval Undersea Museum,Keyport,Wa.The presentation was a wonderful look into the past of our submarine heritage.I wish that John could make this presentation to all USSVI bases acrsss the country.
I would like to request that John give his presentation at the USSVI Bremerton branch in the very near future.Thank you John for keeping our submarine heritage alive and in the minds of our brothers of the phin past ,present and future.

Dave Davenport..SS 338.SS 653,SSBN 602,SSBN 643
USSVI Bremerton Base Holland Club Chairman
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-03-10 7:56 AM (#13705 - in reply to #13703)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Pig Boats presentation by John Clear

Dave, We will never be able to repay the gifts John Clear and Jim Christley have given us. There is a line in the Irish Declaration of Independence I have always loved,"In the name of Irishmen yet unborn" that I would paraphrase...Thanks to John and Jim in the name of adventurous lads yet unborn...for the preservation of names facts and artifacts saved, salvaged and taken into safekeeping...for capturing our history from first hand sources before it got homogenized, paturizede and bastardized. Somehow, I feel that was what Joe Negri had in mind when he set up his post service WATCH, QUARTERS AND STATION BILL for us. I'm proud to know both of them...and honored by their friendship. I did not make it to the Alaskan Cruise...(retirement income limits your liberty ambitions and puts a helluva crimp in your travel radius...waiting for a close aboard East Coast Convention somewhere in the future...Missed Hagerstown, that would have been perfect.). Anyway, John sent me a DVD of the sound and video presentatuion he made on the old petroleum powered saltwater darlings. When I'm feeling blue...a little depressed and need a booster shot of sunshine and stardust of yesteryear, I put that sonuvabitch on and jack up my spirits. Dave, I'm sure John Clear's presentation was a crackerjack...I'm envious...The man has no idea of what half-assed is he and Christley only understand first-class in all respects...Taken together they have established the sterling standard and in the words of an old s**tkicker song..."need to be given roses while they live." DEX
crystal
Posted 2008-03-10 10:30 AM (#13711 - in reply to #13703)

Master and Commander

Thank you to the members of the crystal fan club - LOL!!!!!!!

Had a great time presenting this latest effort, but had to work harder than during the cruise where I had the whole thing automated, this time I had to "TALK" - gad!!!

I've already been volunteered to give my talk at the May meeting of the Bremerton Base.  So for those that were at the Naval Undersea Museum (in the heckler's row) last Saturday, I will try to vary it enough to make it fun in May also... Thanks again for all your support...

(talk.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments talk.JPG (45KB - 732 downloads)
chiefjoe
Posted 2008-03-10 11:18 AM (#13712 - in reply to #13703)
Senior Crew

Do you suppose someone in the group could reduce the presentation to an electronic file for those of us not able to attend. I know it would miss the heart of being present in the midst of such an august group, but it would be appreciated and perhaps save for posterity the words and flavor of one of the giants who has walked among us.

I realize it would be only correct to request permission from Mr JOHN CLEAR, as the words and delivery belong to him. Also permission would be necessary from the host of any such gathering and the audience, whom would be intruded upon by the hardware required. I would not wish to dampen the emotions or banter from the event, as it would be an integral part of such a noteworthy occurrence.

Joe P
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-03-10 1:21 PM (#13715 - in reply to #13703)

COMSUBBBS

Joe, You old silver tongue devil....You gold medal soft soap artiste....You sir have rolled out an excellent grade of raggedy coot flypaper. Maybe...just maybe, we could induce the old unsalvagable sumbitch to have somebody make a video recording that could be circulated to bases well beyond the travel radius of Washington State....(That would be anything beyond fifty miles of whatever seedy gin-mill John is giving the talk, in.) Of course getting the presentation via cinematic recording would be like watching Jesus give The Sermon 0n the Mount on an Etch-a-Scetch....But, if we tied him up and set his socks on fire he might give in.....I'll start the bidding at $25...DEX
Don Gentry
Posted 2008-03-10 5:24 PM (#13725 - in reply to #13703)

Admin

Sorry I couldn't make it John but I agree with the masses that a video would be great!
Flapper
Posted 2008-03-10 5:40 PM (#13726 - in reply to #13725)

Master and Commander

Edited by Flapper 2008-03-11 4:57 PM
Roy Ator
Posted 2008-03-10 6:01 PM (#13727 - in reply to #13703)

Great Sage of the Sea

Wouldn't ya know it, the Chief scheduled his masterful event to occur right in the middle of my nap time. So, I missed it too!
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2008-03-10 10:32 PM (#13735 - in reply to #13715)

Great Sage of the Sea

We buy CDs and DVDs and videos because - even though a recording is never as good as a really good live performance, it's better than missing the performance entirely.

I wish I had video of some of Cowboy's talks.

Like Dex said, a good video of the presentation, on CD-Rom or DVD, could be a great asset to those who couldn't get to the original presentation, either due to schedule conflicts or illness, or distance. For a reasonable price, I'd buy one for Wahoo Base/Fresno Chapter meetings. And my own private enjoyment.

After recouping production costs, proceeds could go to your favorite Base, and/or the USSV-CF.

chiefjoe
Posted 2008-03-11 3:57 AM (#13736 - in reply to #13703)
Senior Crew

Talk about an idea growing legs....

I hadn't though about the fund raising capability of this. Every organization I know of is looking to find a new source of revenue.

However, one point I hope we all remember: The delivery and content belongs to Mr John Clear. While I hope this will come to pass, it is withing his rights to say no.

Somehow this media has degraded or diminshed the respect for intellectual rights (Please correct my spelling or contextual inaccuracies, big words like watermellon stymie me).

Joe P
crystal
Posted 2008-03-11 8:49 AM (#13739 - in reply to #13703)

Master and Commander

I will try to get someone to man my camcorder at the May Bremerton Base meeting and if it turns out to be something of use I'll let you all know.  Otherwise if I get really bored around here I could do a voice over on the talk portion of the slides (+/- 30 minutes).  Total length would then be around 45 minutes. 

However, let's not forget please that I do have a registered, for profit, company (Submarine Memorabilia) along with a partner in the venture.  We have been giving out war patrol reports like candy to all the WWII vets out there and the active duty sub C.O.'s (Ohio - Blue last month).  If all of you keep picking up some of the trinkets that are being offered, I wouldn't mind doing this project at cost and letting the USSVI Bases make a bit of profit - just don't forget that I can't do EVERYTHING for free (as nice as that sounds), between costs for the DVD/CD, mailers, labeling, postage (ad naseum), there is "always" some cost involved on my end. 

(bell.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments bell.JPG (99KB - 757 downloads)
dirty dave
Posted 2008-03-11 12:13 PM (#13740 - in reply to #13739)

Crew

National and Base Storekeepers.

If we are all interested in creating ways to increase Base funds,the National and all base storkeepers should purchase and carry the items that Submarine Memorabilla has to offer and sell at a slight profit.These guys have some great items that will sell like hot cakes with the right exposure and advertisement.
This way we all profit and it will allow John/Dan to increase their available products.

The Bremertom Base Storekeeper is on the ball and creates a big profit thru his sales at the monthly meetings.

Dave Davenport FTGC(SS) USN RET.
crystal
Posted 2008-03-12 5:47 PM (#13785 - in reply to #13703)

Master and Commander

Two newspaper articles (one Navy), and two more engagements.  I have the Bremerton Base (USSVI) talk on May 20th and now the Puget Sound Navy Museum also in the May/June time frame.  Between these next two engagements I should be able to get something on video tape and off to a few of you to screen for me to give some feedback.  More down the line... Thanks for the support...

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software