Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Will let them go by . . . they are only heavy cruisers!” -- USS Dace Captain Claggett after viewing what appeared to be a full task force, and cruisers, with an apparent battleship following behind the cruisers
Black and Tan
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

RCK
Posted 2008-03-11 4:46 PM (#13746)
Master and Commander

Subject: Black and Tan

This is a traditional Irish drink. I have never tried it myself and some who have, say it is difficult to pour without mixing the layers. You pour a half glass with Guiness Stout and slowly layer a Harps lager using a spoon to form a two tone drink. Those who are skilled at making the drink without mixing the layers say it is a good drink. Happy St. Paddy's Day libation.
whalen
Posted 2008-03-11 5:10 PM (#13748 - in reply to #13746)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Black and Tan

Yeungling makes 'em ready to drink....  Got 12 (er...8) in the fridge right now!

Tasty!

bt

Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-03-11 5:16 PM (#13749 - in reply to #13746)

Master and Commander

Subject: Finally a subject I know something about

RCK - 2008-03-11 5:46 PM

This is a traditional Irish drink. I have never tried it myself and some who have, say it is difficult to pour without mixing the layers. You pour a half glass with Guiness Stout and slowly layer a Harps lager using a spoon to form a two tone drink. Those who are skilled at making the drink without mixing the layers say it is a good drink. Happy St. Paddy's Day libation.

Americans love beer. It is the most frequently requested alcoholic beverage for men and second only to white wine for women. We already pour beer into tall, frosty mugs, what else is there? The fact is there is much more that can be done.
"Blending different type of beers together has long been standard practice in English and Irish pubs," says Steve Abbott of Guinness Import Company, whose job is to assist publicans in developing authentic Irish pubs, which includes consulting on food and drink.

I like to mix Guinness with Tenant's Lager but this combination calls for Guinness and Bass Ale. Works for me.
I copied this one from the internet; I love Google; makes me look smart

The artful skill of mixing beers together requires balancing the attributes of one brew with the characteristics of another. The key is to use two beers with appreciably different properties--body, taste, texture, sweetness and bitterness.

An excellent example is the Black & Tan, a savory blend of stout and ale, typically Guinness and Bass draughts respectively. The Guinness Stout and Bass Ale have different densities, or specific gravity's. The beers will layer one on top of the other -- the nearly black Guinness floating atop the copper colored Bass -- thereby creating a dramatic appearance. Hoist the combination and the heavier beer will slide along the angle of the glass such that both brews are consumed simultaneously. Set the glass down and the layers remain intact. The effect is captivating.
Stoops
Posted 2008-03-11 5:24 PM (#13751 - in reply to #13746)
Master and Commander

Doc---next time you get down here, come a day early....you gotta meet my future son-in-law, who brews beer and experiments with all sorts of recipes, and we've got to go to Boondoggles....where both he and my daughter work.....
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-03-11 6:31 PM (#13752 - in reply to #13748)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Black and Tan...now that's...speaking of Celts

THE BEST!!!

I have never met anyone "other" than a Celtic bartender or some with Celtic roots who knows "how" to pour an original "black and tan"...but when they do, it can be a delightful experience.

My "Irish laddie" is on the road to a full recovery. He had the stitches out today. Pathology report shows that the 2 glands that the Dr. was looking for "WERE" in the thyroid...and one was the size of a peach pit. So, he will go back next month for follow-up on calcium and hormone levels and probably once a month for a while to see how long it will take him to stabilize, but he's been cleared to go back to work on Mon...and we will celebrate St. Paddy's Day over the weekend. He's bored to a fair-the-well, but is so looking forward to rejoining the human race as a "functioning human being" again.

Again, to everyone, thank you so much. I know he could feel the good thoughts and prayers.

Dave Follo
Posted 2008-03-11 6:55 PM (#13753 - in reply to #13746)
Crew

I first had "Black&Tan" at HMAS Stirling, where it was made using either Swan or Emu Lager and Kalgoorlie Stout. After consuming about 15 or 16 of those thrist quenchers, I became very proficient at the "power puke".

DBF
RCK
Posted 2008-03-11 7:18 PM (#13754 - in reply to #13751)
Master and Commander

Black and Tan. Well I've got yo give it a try. The food and drink associated with St. Patricks Day have always made it one of my favorite celebrartions. Part of me is Irish and that part glows on the 17th of March.
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-03-11 7:33 PM (#13755 - in reply to #13754)

COMSUBBBS

I can only hope that the "glow" is a halo that will be over your head...being 1/2 Irish, as I was always told by my "sainted" great-grandmother Bridget Eileen Brennan Moore, gives us a bit more of a glow on St. Patrick's Day...and she said it was the halo that seems to "magically appear" on that day! (Ya think I've been blessed
with a bit of the Blarney...and I've never even kissed the Blarney Stone!)

(Luck of the Irish.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Luck of the Irish.jpg (25KB - 714 downloads)
RCK
Posted 2008-03-11 7:41 PM (#13756 - in reply to #13755)
Master and Commander

I can only hope that the "glow" is a halo that will be over your head...

A Halo over me pate on St. Patty's Day and a pitch fork in me hand the rest of the year!
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-03-11 9:20 PM (#13759 - in reply to #13746)

Great Sage of the Sea

Marketing weenies aside... Black and Tan is a great way to ruin the flavor of Guinness. It is a way to cut the Guinness for those that can't Man-Up and enjoy the worlds most perfect stout.
I brewed beer for about ten years and made many stouts and porters (they along with ales best suit our local well-water.)
But if you must ruin Guinness with an inferior beer, please use Harp Lager, keep it all Irish -- although historically the Black and Tans were the Irish para-military force that carried out the British Army's evil deeds during the troubles back before independence. So using Bass fits if you want to honor those miserable *^&^^^%'s.
Another note, although a good stout is rich, dark and robust it has a lower specific gravity than most lagers, so the lager goes on the bottom and the stout, poured over the back of a spoon, goes on top. Traditional stout is usually lighter in alcohol also, it is rich because of the dark chocolate and roasted malts that are used. Higher alcohol darks are found in your Porters and at the highest end, an Imperial Stout/Baltic Porter. I made one of those once (in a cold steep - similar to Sun-tea process - no bitterness) that topped out at 12.3% abv.

BB
or Sean Patrick O'Herron as seen on my birth certificate.
Smiley
Posted 2008-03-12 4:30 AM (#13762 - in reply to #13746)
Great Sage of the Sea

I'm a Scotch snob on my 28th or 29th day of self inflected sobriety (lent). I do enjoy some "Beers" Dos X , Beck's Dark, and Rolling Rock on a hot Summer day on the boat.. I am 1/2 1st generation Irish and the other half is Polish.. I for the life of me can not see what is Beer about Guiness.. That is the skunkyist tasting "P" I ever drank. heck the ping pong ball in the can tastes better than the brew.. The Irish are funny like that.. Now there's Jameson and Paddys whiskeys they are on my top 10 list of whiskeys then they make this monkey pee Bushmills.... Go figure. My "Irish Uncle" once told me the Black and Tan was a why for the pubs to get rid of the Guiness when the tap got low.. It makes the Guiness taste almost like beer. LOL
Darrin
Posted 2008-03-12 4:45 AM (#13763 - in reply to #13746)

Great Sage of the Sea

Had a real Guiness in Shannon, Ireland in '03.. ok make that two very tall ones at the airport and damn those were goood. The ones imported aren't as good as the ones that I had that day... Maybe that was because that was the first beer that I had in 6 months after a tour in the worlds largest kitty litter box (-; Slept for nearly 11 hours after that on the airplane, woke up an hour outside of Savannah, Ga with two meals waiting for me which I ate and then got off the plane to a hero's welcome home(returned from OEF/OIF1). The St.Patrick's day parade in Savannah is by far the best party that I have been to in my career and I am missing it again this year... dem army bastages.... should be living there right now but dem army bastages decided I was not medically fit for duty and kept my butt here in Newport News

BlackBeard
Posted 2008-03-12 12:12 PM (#13772 - in reply to #13746)

Great Sage of the Sea

Some that claim they hate the taste of Guinness have never tasted a regular Guinness. The product most people are familiar with is Guinness Extra Stout. It comes in the small brown 12 oz bottle. It is not regularly found in Ireland. It is made for export and has a higher alcohol content and a more bitter taste.
Fifteen years or so ago Guinness finally found a way to export their original stout draft and maintain its taste 'near' the original brews flavor in Ireland. The 'widget' that released the compressed N2 when you open the can/bottle was their invention. So if you want to taste Guinness that is close to the flavor in Ireland, choose the tall cans or the black bottle with the widget inside or find a local pub that has it on draft. Guinness doesn't travel well which is why the Irish claim it doesn't taste the same, even after the short trip to England. Additionally in Ireland, beer is taxed by alcohol content so they tend to keep the percentage low. Guinness is about 3.5 abv over there. Here it is a bit higher. Higher abv% usually means a sacrifice in flavor.
When I was in Ireland I have to admit it did taste better there, but maybe it was the atmosphere.

BB
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2008-03-12 1:17 PM (#13773 - in reply to #13746)
Master and Commander

You people probably mix the Coke and Mr. Pibb at McDonalds. People take pride in making a good brew, and you all adulterate it.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software