Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS NAUTILUS SSN 571 steamed 60,000 miles on a lump of Uranium the size of a golf ball. A diesel powered submarine would have required 3,000,000 gallons or 300 railway tank cars of oil.
Advice for Submariners
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

GaryKC
Posted 2008-03-12 9:44 AM (#13765)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Advice for Submariners

Current and Future Boatsailors.... Take Note.
Write down and date every detail of every day aboard every boat.
Photograph everything and everyone with names, dates, and descriptions of all photos taken.
If you use nicknames, remember that persons real name.
Collect and keep every business card, matchbook cover, hotel/motel receipt, dodad and thingamabob.
Smile, every chance you get.
* Free advice from an old submariner and submarine website nonqual.
Someday you will need to remember who Ski, Tex, Slim and whatshisname were and when and where you did what you did!!
RCK
Posted 2008-03-12 10:38 AM (#13766 - in reply to #13765)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Advice for Submariners

Sorry NO CAN DO!!! Can you imagine all those guys calling you up over that five bucks you forgot to pay back now at 5% interesr after 30 years.......Holy backrupcy court Batman!!!!
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-03-12 12:05 PM (#13771 - in reply to #13765)

COMSUBBBS

Gary, I was told that if you were found with a camera on a nook, that they hauled you out to five miles the other side of Eastjeeezus out in the Chawawa-Boobelies and dropped you down an abandoned well DEX
Warshot
Posted 2008-03-12 6:51 PM (#13787 - in reply to #13771)
WWII Sub Vet

Dex's right. We weren't even allowed to HAVE cameras. That included Officers too.

So--NO PICTURES-NO WAY.

Warshot
Corabelle
Posted 2008-03-12 7:37 PM (#13788 - in reply to #13787)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Warshot

When Elmer & I were struggling to put his memoirs together, I asked him if he had kept a journal of his experiences. He replied, "Absolutely not! It was strictly forbidden because if a man were captured with such a document it could, etc., etc., etc."

Guess what his daughter brought me a couple months ago? Did he forget that he had documented "stuff" over 60 years ago? I'd sure like to ask him. Of course, what he did document was info that was in the Official War Patrol Reports, and we did have that before he died.

About pictures. He came home with enough pictures to fill a fair-sized album. They included many of his shipmates, pictures of the battle flag in early construction and pictures of rescued pilots.

Did you have pictures from your WWII service? Did you rely only on your memories when you wrote "Torpedo man?"

Cora
Pig
Posted 2008-03-13 9:53 AM (#13795 - in reply to #13765)
Plankowner

That is gret advice, Gary... thanks for the post. I can't begin to count the hours I have spent trying to identify the faces and places on the 1,000's of pictures and slides we have in the Archerfish Collection. Every picture has a memory to someone... and every memory becomes a story... even if it only starts with one or two sentences. Those are the stories we all need to be recording now while a lot of our shipmatres are still around to help. We have been doing this with Archerfish memories since 1994 and now have well over a thousand pages of stories... all in chronologicil order... and in most instances, pictures to offer as proof that just maybe (at least part of) the story is true.

Every boat should have a self-appointed historian to preserve the history. Spelling doesn't count... only a commitment. There are a lot of us on this board that have made that commitment to individual boats... don't re-invent the wheel. Pick a boat that isn't being worked on. You don't even have to have rode the boat... just show a willingness to collect the stories "and stuff" and the crew will respond... slowly at first... but when they realize you are serious they will sign-on to assist.

"I don't know how or where to start" isn't an excuse. There is more advice out here than you will know what to do with... all you have to do is ask.
crystal
Posted 2008-03-13 2:43 PM (#13798 - in reply to #13765)

Master and Commander

Ken (Pig) and I are in complete agreement.  I started my "collection" of the USS Sealion some 39 years ago (including pictures from that time).  At no time after WWII do I remember anything that was "so secret" (other than the radio shack in operation) that I couldn't take pictures if "cleared".  Hell, Cowboy and I went aboard the Henry M. Jackson and I took over 100+ pictures (pre-approved) from the reactor forward.  The secret service "ain't THAT secret"...

Edited by crystal 2008-03-13 2:44 PM
Warshot
Posted 2008-03-13 2:53 PM (#13799 - in reply to #13788)
WWII Sub Vet

Subject: RE: Warshot

Yes. Diaries were strictly forbidden.

I still don't know how the Chief that kept a diary on Barb that Fluckey used for his book Thunder Below got out without a Courtsmartial.

Warshot
Warshot
Posted 2008-03-13 2:56 PM (#13800 - in reply to #13798)
WWII Sub Vet

John,
It was in World War ll.

Warshot
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0