Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: In 1921, a United States submarine, the R-14, having run out of fuel at sea while looking for the missing tug USS Conestoga, rigged sails from blankets and hammocks sewn together. Bunk frames were used for yardarms and booms. The torpedo loading king post for a fore mast, the torpedo loading boom for a mizzen mast and the telescoping radio mast, for the main mast. The R-14 sailed 100 miles in five days to the port of Hilo, T.H. at a speed of two knots. It has been reported in March 2016 that the Conestoga has been located 3 miles off Southeast Farallon Island, probably sinking with-in a day of leaving port. All hands lost.
Zippity Doo-Dah Day
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-03-13 5:46 PM (#13805)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Zippity Doo-Dah Day

Had a GREAT day. I was responsible for getting the luncheon speaker for today's SPRINGFIELD ROTARY CLUB meeting. I invited TM1(SS) Arthur Gaines Smith, holder of the Silver Star, WWII Victory Medal and a Fully Loaded SUBMARINE COMBAT PATROL PIN (six war patrols). Look under Arthur Gaines Smith in Theodore Roscoes SUBMARINE OPERATIONS OF WORLD WAR II and Clay Blair's SILENT VICTORY... Art is one of the most modest individuals you will ever meet. You have to damn near hypnotize the guy to get him to talk....but the questions asked brought him out...He could see that people were genuinely interested in what the Submarine Force did in the Greatest Generation's War. I was never prouder to be Art's friend. Olgoat and I were there and I can assure you, the United States Submarine Force was never better represented or more universally appreciated. These days, if you were given a scavenger hunt list and it had "find either a size DDDDD bra or a man elgible to wear the SUBMARINE COMBAT PATROL PIN", you'd be smart to go for the underwear....Their ranks are thinning as we speak....They are lining up twenty deep at the RecSta at St. Peter's Gate at the Big Silver Pier in the Sky. It was a wonderful day, spent with terrific people. Thanks Ray and Art. DEX
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-03-13 5:53 PM (#13808 - in reply to #13805)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Zippity Doo-Dah Day

Dex,

please pass on my best wishes to Art, it truly was an honour to have met him, Elmer and Warshot when I was there back in 2004.

Would loved to have been there for his talk.

Blue *_*
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-03-14 2:54 PM (#13835 - in reply to #13805)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Thanks Blue, He's my personaql friend and hero

Wonderful gentleman...true submarine legend. Ray and I were proud to be there and be part ofr his support network. We got him a Silver Star coin to mark the date. DEX
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-03-14 9:38 PM (#13846 - in reply to #13835)

Master and Commander

Subject: Bruce Miller....

Dex, can you please pass on my email to Bruce.

walrus62@ozemail.com.au

Cheers mate

Blue *_*
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software