Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Will let them go by . . . they are only heavy cruisers!” -- USS Dace Captain Claggett after viewing what appeared to be a full task force, and cruisers, with an apparent battleship following behind the cruisers
Our new Lady Friend (Brother a Boatsailor)
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-03-14 3:13 PM (#13836)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Our new Lady Friend (Brother a Boatsailor)

We are getting her a Cold War Service certificate to honor her brother's service. My oldest daughter Maj. KIris Armstrong USA (ret) does magnificent calligraphy and she's going to do the lettering so we can have it signed, matted and framed. We are going to include a reproduced photo of him and a pair of full size qualification Dolphins. She is very appreciative and that pumps us up. Barbara Jean and I wanted to buy her tickets to the Chesapeake Base "Bull and Oyster Roast" next Saturday evening but she will be in the hospital recovering from a surgical procedure that she will have on Thursday. I am going to give her a set of Silver Sweetheart Dolphins my skipper gave his wife when he took command of his first boat (Barabara Jean wears Solveig's). Hey, makes you feel good...In your heart you hope he would do the same for your sister if the situation was reversed. DEX
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-03-14 9:51 PM (#13847 - in reply to #13836)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Our new Lady Friend (Brother a Boatsailor)

I know they do some very strange things in your neck of the woods there Dex, but still, I am wanting to believe that your 'new lady fried' is actually the Sister of a Boatsailor!

Blue *_*
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-03-15 1:12 PM (#13872 - in reply to #13836)

COMSUBBBS

Blue, I was coming back from a SubVets get-to-gether and stopped off at HARD TIMES CAFE in Springfield wearing my SubVets ballcap and this middle aged sweetie came over and told me about her brother. I wasn't trolling or "checki8ng my traps", just sucking some Miller Lite suds and filling my ears with juke box tunes. HARD TIMES has a remarkable juke box, filled with old time cowboy movie songs by Gene Autry, Roy and the Sohs of the Pioneers, Frankie Lane, Marty Robbins, The Texas Troubadors....Tex Ritter, Eddy Arnold....all the old mosscovered bastards of yesteryear. You can go into nostalgia overload in twenty minutes. So, I sat...got wrapped around a couple of draft suds and introduced myself to this lovely little thing. Her signature is the expression of deeply held THANKS and sincere appreciation for the least little thing you do for her....There's a store here called The Ship's Hatch (actually there are two stores, one in the Crystal City Underground and one in Fairfax City.) I have gotten her a few things like a WWII Naval Service recognition coin and an engraved crystal glass pitcher with her brother's name, rate and Dolphins engraved on it. Little things for a proud sister to honor the memory of a brother she is obviously very proud of. DEX
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-03-16 12:29 PM (#13945 - in reply to #13836)

COMSUBBBS

Alice, Yes, if you e-mail me I can give you the address. The site was originally started to honor the fallen in this WAR we are fighting in the Mid-East, but has been expanded to include everyone who has served and holds an honorable service DD-214. I have been asked not to publish it and intend to tear it up after sending the address to you. The stock of those "coins" and certificates is niot that big. DEX
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-03-19 11:13 AM (#14081 - in reply to #13836)

COMSUBBBS

Her certificate arrived and is now in for matting and framing. It was signed by the CNO, who sent along a handwritten note written on a note card bearing a four star admirals flag and a brief statement showing how deeply her brother's service was appreciated. It truly helps to get things done when you live here in the DC area. And it is nice that you are able to be the difference in a young lady's life,DEX
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software