Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "The Turkish skipper of ex-USS Tang, when asked about the difference between the German designed and built replacement boats for their retiring ex-US boats, is reported to have said, "American submarines are built for war, German submarines are built for export."
Stock car racing story...
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-03-17 1:41 PM (#13986)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Stock car racing story...

If you leave Fort Bragg by the rear areas...the drop zones, combat town, Camp McCall...Chicken Road...that way. The first town, going south of any significance is Rockingham. For those of you familiar with the old NASCAR Winston Cup Series...Rockingham hosted a race in the series each year Since I don't follow NASCAR RACING. I wasn't aware of the race. I came out of Bragg heading toward Southern Pines (all golfers know Southern Pines) then turned south toward Rockingham. About fifteen miles this side of Rockingham, Solveig and I started seeing all sorts of vehicles parked in the pine forests, with folks sitting around small fires sitting in folding beach chairs, drinking beer, laughing and seemingly having one helluva good time. The closer we came to Rockingham the more crowded the woods became and you started to hear Willie Nelson and Dolly Parton music and what sounded like some kind of hillbilly jamboree. Then you were greeted by North Carolina State Troopers welcoming you to Racing at Rockingham and cautioning you to drive slowly because people, some of whom were carrying a cargo of internally distributed brewed products, were crossing back and forth across the highway...there was also a strong suggestion that it would be in the best interest of all concerned if you refrained from drinking and driving. Then it started...little cute college age gals waved you down and handed you complimentary programs...One little blond girl gave us three bright red ballcaps with WINSTON CUP SERIES emroidered on them in white. The next girl gave us Red Winston Cup Tee-Shirts...Salem cigarettes gave us green foam beer cooosies....My wife and daughter saw the people in front of us doing it, so they held their new ball caps out the window like organ grinders monkeys holding out their tin cups. Cute gals in white blouses and red mini-skirts tossed all kinds of freebies in the caps. We ended up with seven or eight butane lighters, Ford Motor Company scarves and bandanas, decks of playing cards from Pepsi...a Head and Shoulders hair scrubber, packs of assorted chewing gum, Miller High Life and Bud Lite ballcaps, a plastic replica car with 7-11 decals on it....a Johnny Cash memorial recording...A Dale Earnhardt poster and a whole lot of other stuff we never expected....to include all sorts of packs of Salems, Winstons and other ciggy-butts. We kept heading south but I'll bet by midnight that place was one hopping wildman convention. Stock car folks definitely have a lock on LET THE GOOD TIMES ROLL. DEX
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software