Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS NAUTILUS SSN 571 made history by cruising submerged from the pacific to the Atlantic Ocean, passing under the North Pole at 11:15 p.m. EDST on August 3, 1958.
The Queenfish's Arctic patrol (new Book) Part 1
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Runner485
Posted 2008-03-18 4:53 AM (#14003)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: The Queenfish's Arctic patrol (new Book) Part 1

Queenfish: A Cold War Tale

United States Navy

TO THE SIBERIAN ICE PACK The Queenfish at the North Pole on Aug. 6, 1970. );}" href="http://www.nytimes.com/slideshow/2008/03/14/science/031808Arctic_index.html">More Photos >

<script type="text/JavaScript" language="JavaScript">function getSharePasskey() { return 'ex=1363579200&en=799941b1bd9e4bd6&ei=5124';}<script type="text/JavaScript" language="JavaScript">function getShareURL() { return encodeURIComponent('http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/18/science/18arctic.html');}function getShareHeadline() { return encodeURIComponent('Queenfish: A Cold War Tale');}function getShareDescription() { return encodeURIComponent('The icy surface of the Arctic Ocean may seem peaceful, but below the ice, its depths have boiled with intrigue.');}function getShareKeywords() { return encodeURIComponent('United States Armament and Defense,Submarines,Ice,Oceans,Missiles and Missile Defense Systems');}function getShareSection() { return encodeURIComponent('science');}function getShareSectionDisplay() { return encodeURIComponent('Science');}function getShareSubSection() { return encodeURIComponent('');}function getShareByline() { return encodeURIComponent('By WILLIAM J. BROAD');}function getSharePubdate() { return encodeURIComponent('March 18, 2008');}
<script language="javascript"> <!-- function submitCCCForm(){ PopUp = window.open('', '_Icon','location=no,toolbar=no,status=no,width=650,height=550,scrollbars=yes,resizable=yes'); this.document.cccform.submit(); } // --> <form target="_Icon" action="https://s100.copyright.com/CommonApp/LoadingApplication.jsp" name="cccform">

Published: March 18, 2008

Atop the globe, the icy surface of theArctic Ocean has remained relatively peaceful. But its depths haveboiled with intrigue, no more so than in the cold war.

Although the superpowersplanned to turn those depths into an inferno of exploding torpedoes andrising missiles, the brotherhood of submariners — the silent service,both Russian and American — has worked hard over the decades to keepthe particulars of those plans hush-hush.

Now, a few secretsare spilling through a crack in the wall of silence, revealing some ofthe science and spying that went into the doomsday preparations.

Anew book, “Unknown Waters,” recounts the 1970 voyage of a submarine,the Queenfish, on a pioneering dive beneath the ice pack to map theSiberian continental shelf. The United States did so as part of aclandestine effort to prepare for Arctic submarine operations and towin any military showdown with the Soviet Union.

In greatsecrecy, moving as quietly as possible below treacherous ice, theQueenfish, under the command of Captain Alfred S. McLaren, mappedthousands of miles of previously uncharted seabed in search of safesubmarine routes. It often had to maneuver between shallow bottoms andice keels extending down from the surface more than 100 feet,threatening the sub and the crew of 117 men with ruin.

Anotherdanger was that the sub might simply be frozen in place with no way outand no way to call for help as food and other supplies dwindled.

TheQueenfish at one point became stuck in a dead end. The rescue took anhour and tense backtracking out of what had threatened to become an icytomb.

“I still dream about it every other week,” Dr. McLaren, 75, the book’s author, recalled in an interview. “It was hairy.” The University of Alabama Press is publishing his recollections of the secret voyage.

SylviaA. Earle, an oceanographer and the former chief scientist of theNational Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration, said such feats inperilous waters made Dr. McLaren a genuine hero. “The sub could havedisappeared, and nobody would have known anything about it,” she said.“But they came through. That’s exploration at its most exquisite.”

AfterDr. McLaren’s mission, the Arctic became a theater of militaryoperations in which the Soviets tried to hide their missile-carryingsubs under the fringes of the ice pack while American attack subs triedrelentlessly to track them. The goal was to destroy the Soviet subs ifthe cold war turned hot, doing so quickly enough to keep them fromlaunching their missiles and nuclear warheads at the United States.

NormanPolmar, an author and analyst on Navy operations, called the polarenvironment “very very difficult” for subs. He said ice dangling fromthe surface in endless shapes and sizes made the sub’s main eyes —sonar beams that bounce sound off the bottom and surrounding objects —work poorly.

Mr. Polmar added that the submarine communitynonetheless considered the Arctic “a big deal,” because it had a nearmonopoly on operations there.

Dr. McLaren commanded one of the Navy’s most advanced warships, a jet-black monster the length of a football field.

Itwas the first of a large class of submarines specially designed foryear-round operations in polar regions. As such, it boasted an array ofspecial acoustic gear meant to help it visualize the complex worldbeneath the pack ice.

For instance, the sub had a specialsensor to detect icebergs jutting downward with threatening spikes.From bow to stern, it had a total of seven acoustic sensors pointingupward to help the crew judge the thickness of ice overhead.

AsDr. McLaren recounts in “Unknown Waters,” the Queenfish, in preparationfor its Arctic voyage, was stripped of all identifying marks and pickedup a full load of torpedoes.

It arrived at the North Pole onAug. 5, 1970, rising through open water. On the ice, an impromptu SantaClaus in a red suit frolicked with crew members.

The submarine then sailed for the Siberian continental shelf, where it began its mission of secret reconnaissance.

Bear
Posted 2008-03-18 12:41 PM (#14021 - in reply to #14003)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: The Queenfish's Arctic patrol (new Book) Part 1

This was actually my first boat I was sent to her about 6 weeks after the return to Pearl It was also almost my last Boat as well  We went to Sea and did angles and dangles with the Main Drain Pump "Strapped" to the deck in LLER I was the trainee and that stupid thing broke lose and wondered all around the damn place I was ready to non vol on the spot. Guess I was to stupid to at that point and it was only later in my career that I was able to "understand" why the hell we would do something that stupid

RCK
Posted 2008-03-18 12:57 PM (#14022 - in reply to #14003)
Master and Commander

Looks like another book I'll have to get!!
Gil
Posted 2008-03-18 2:58 PM (#14024 - in reply to #14003)
Master and Commander

I Remember the Queenfish always tied up in '67 and '68 in Pearl Harbor.  It was always having problems and a smoke boat had to take over a Pearl to Pearl run for it in '67.  Guess they finally fixed all those problems.  In those days the smoke boats took over many runs for the glow boats.  That always gave us bragging rights at the sub bar - problem was we hardly ever saw the crew from the nukes at Beaman's sub bar.

The other thing we could beat the glow boats was getting into Pearl ahead of them once we saw them on the surface.  The Pickerel's name was Paperhanger and Paperhanger could do 21 knots on the surface for about six months after we were de-barnacled.  Coming into Pearl we made it a point to get in ahead of the glow boats entering Pearl.  Small redemption for going without showers all week long.

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software