Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Fleet Admiral Halsey in a book called "The Admirals" when asked "What is the ultimate strategic weapon that is bringing the enemy to its knees? Halsey's reply "If I had to give credit to the instruments and machines that won us the war in the Pacific, I would rank them in this order: SUBMARINES, FIRST; RADAR, SECOND; PLANES, THIRD AND BULLDOZERS FOURTH."
Easter Dinner Menu
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

RCK
Posted 2008-03-18 9:33 AM (#14011)
Master and Commander

Subject: Easter Dinner Menu

I will post a series of recipes for Easter dinner from Paula's kitchen. I can only do one at a time. The menu is more a Southern Fare so it is a departure from the traditional celebration that is served in many happy homes on Easter. Enjoy!!

Bourbon Beef Tenderloin Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
1 cup bourbon
1 cup brown sugar
2/3 cup soy sauce
1 bunch cilantro, leaves chopped
1/2 cup lemon juice
1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
2 cups water
3 to 4 sprigs fresh thyme, leaves chopped
1 (5-pound) beef tenderloin, silver connective tissue removed
Oil, to brush grill

Preheat grill or oven to 350 degrees F.
Prepare marinade by combining the bourbon, brown sugar, soy sauce, cilantro, lemon juice, Worcestershire sauce, water, and thyme in a bowl. Make sure the tenderloin has been cleaned and the tissues has been removed. Fold the tail end of the beef back underneath itself so that it is of uniform thickness and secure with butcher's string. Place meat in a dish and pour marinade over meat, cover, and refrigerate for 4 to 6 hours, or up to overnight, turning meat over several times.

When grill is ready, place meat on oiled surface and reserve the liquid from the marinade. Cook over high heat with lid closed, turning meat often and occasionally basting with the marinade. Cook for approximately 25 minutes for medium rare.

Serve with horseradish cream on the side.

RCK
Posted 2008-03-18 9:37 AM (#14012 - in reply to #14011)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Easter Dinner Menu

Spinach, Strawberry, and Hearts of Palm Salad Recipe courtesy Paula Deen

1/3 cup cider vinegar
3/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup vegetable oil
1/2 small red onion, grated
1 1/2 tablespoons poppy seeds
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 pounds fresh spinach, washed and torn into pieces
1 can hearts of palm, drained and chopped
2 cups strawberries, stemmed and sliced
1 cup chopped walnuts

For the dressing, combine the vinegar, sugar, lemon juice, and salt in a small non-reactive saucepan and heat over medium heat until the sugar dissolves, stirring frequently. Remove pan from heat and let cool to room temperature. When cooled, whisk in the oil, onion, poppy seeds, dry mustard and paprika until thoroughly combined. Set dressing aside. In a salad bowl, combine the spinach, hearts of palm, strawberries, and walnuts. When ready to serve, add some of the dressing, and toss gently. Serve the remaining dressing alongside the salad so diners may add more, if desired.

RCK
Posted 2008-03-18 9:40 AM (#14013 - in reply to #14011)
Master and Commander

Southern-Style Green Beans with Bacon and New Potatoes Recipe courtesy Emeril Lagasse, 2004
4 slices bacon, cut into thirds
1 medium onion, finely chopped
2 pounds fresh green beans, ends trimmed
8 small new potatoes, halved if large
Salt and freshly ground black pepper

In a large saucepan or medium Dutch oven, cook bacon over medium heat until it has rendered most of its fat and has begun to brown, about 5 minutes. Add the onion and saute until translucent, about 5 minutes. Add the green beans and potatoes and enough water to just cover them. Bring to a boil, then reduce the heat to low. Season with salt and pepper, to taste, then cover the pan and simmer until the beans are very tender, about 1 hour, stirring occasionally and adding more water if necessary to keep the beans covered. As the beans get close to being done they will become quite fragile, so take care when stirring.

RCK
Posted 2008-03-18 9:47 AM (#14014 - in reply to #14011)
Master and Commander

Sweet Potato Biscuits Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2 heaping tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup mashed cooked sweet potatoes
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) softened butter
2 to 4 tablespoons milk (depending on the moisture of the potatoes)

Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. In a separate, large bowl, mix the sweet potatoes and butter. Add the flour mixture to the potato mixture and mix to make a soft dough. Then add milk a tablespoon at a time to mixture and continue to cut in. Turn the dough out onto a floured board and toss lightly until the outside of the dough looks smooth. Roll the dough out to 1/2-inch thick and cut with a biscuit cutter. Place the biscuits on a greased pan and coat tops with melted butter. Bake for about 15 minutes. (Watch your oven: If the biscuits are browning too fast, lower the temperature.)

RCK
Posted 2008-03-18 9:51 AM (#14015 - in reply to #14011)
Master and Commander

Banana Nut Cake With Cream Cheese Frosting Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
Cake:
Butter, for greasing pans
3 cups all-purpose flour, plus more for pans
2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon salt
3 eggs, beaten
3/4 cup vegetable oil
4 large ripe bananas, mashed
1 cup chopped pecans
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Frosting:
1 (8-ounce) package cream cheese, at room temperature
1/2 cup butter (1 stick), at room temperature
1 pound confectioners' sugar, sifted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 cup chopped pecans

Cook's Note: This recipe is not formulated for a wedding cake, but for a normal size everyone can use. Increase as needed if you are making tiered or extra large cakes.

Butter and flour 3 (9-inch) round cake pans; set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cake:
In a mixing bowl, stir together the flour, sugar, baking soda, cinnamon, and salt. Add the eggs and oil and stir just until the dry ingredients are moistened; do not beat. Stir in the banana, pecans, and vanilla. Divide the batter among the prepared pans and bake for 23 to 28 minutes, or until a wooden pick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool the cake layers in the pans for 10 minutes, and then turn them out onto a rack to cool completely. While the cake cools, make the frosting.

Frosting:
In a bowl, blend together the cream cheese and butter. Gradually add the confectioners' sugar and beat until light and fluffy. Beat in the vanilla. Stir in the pecans, or reserve them to sprinkle over the frosted cake. Fill and frost the cake when it is completely cool.

Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-03-18 10:06 AM (#14016 - in reply to #14011)
COMSUBBBS

Love that Paula Deen. Have you been to their resturant in Savannah? Some really good vitals.
RCK
Posted 2008-03-18 10:36 AM (#14018 - in reply to #14016)
Master and Commander

Ralph Luther - 2008-03-18 10:06 AM

Love that Paula Deen. Have you been to their resturant in Savannah? Some really good vitals.

I was in Savannah a few years ago but I was driving to a meeting and did't have enough time to see all the sights. I did hit the Pirates House, the Old Town Section that was used in a film, and the waterfront. Truly a beautiful place with a lovely name.
MAD DOG
Posted 2008-03-18 12:30 PM (#14019 - in reply to #14011)

Master and Commander

Yum Yum.
Only problem is,the old Dog is "cooking impaired".
I'll print the recipes and coerce some "fair young debutramp"into preparing
it for me.Thanks.
MAD DOG
RCK
Posted 2008-03-18 12:34 PM (#14020 - in reply to #14019)
Master and Commander

MAD DOG - 2008-03-18 12:30 PM

Yum Yum.
Only problem is,the old Dog is "cooking impaired".
I'll print the recipes and coerce some "fair young debutramp"into preparing
it for me.Thanks.
MAD DOG

Sounds like a plan to me. You must be a sweet talkin devil.I couldn't get help if I set the house on fire!!!
Darrin
Posted 2008-03-18 1:32 PM (#14023 - in reply to #14011)

Great Sage of the Sea

went there when iwas stationed there a few years ago, the line was around the block just to get in the place and she wound up moving to a BIGGER store just to handle all of the customers just to have them standing outside also due to that many more people showing up...
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-03-19 4:23 PM (#14093 - in reply to #14014)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Easter Dinner Menu...Sweet Potato Biscuits...

HMMM, now that recipe looks great. I got one from a restaurant on the Outer Banks called Kelly's and their's are to die for...and I hate sweet potatoes.

Thanks, Bob!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software