Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "No one has done more to prevent conflict - no one has made a greater sacrifice for the cause for Peace - than you, America's proud missile submarine family. You stand tall among our heroes of the Cold War.” -- Gen. Colin Powell
Gold Wingers
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-03-18 5:12 PM (#14031)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Gold Wingers

OK, motorcycle enthusiasts...What in the hell is a gold winger? Have a new friend. He tells me that he and his lovely bride are gold wingers and attend gold wing rallies, conventions, meetings and various gold wing functions. I have no idea what in the hell they are talking about. I think I got the term right but not actually positive. DEX
Stoops
Posted 2008-03-18 5:27 PM (#14036 - in reply to #14031)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Gold Wingers

Gold Wing is a Honda Motorcycle equipped with all the comforts of a mobile home in much less space.
Like nukes and DBFers, there are two main motorcycle enthusiasts......Harley Davidson, and Honda GoldWings.

These are the luxury class cycles..............One of my shipmates, a YNC(SS) who is originally from this area travels from Oregonad to Texas frequently on his GoldWing and sometimes extends the trip to visit another shipmate, RMC(SS) in Arkansas.

And I have shipmates who prefer the Harleys and for the last PERMIT reunion in San Diego, a group of these fellows put their wives on planes to San Diego and they met in Houston and drove their HAWGS to SD.

I don't think it makes much difference what you ride....there is a special kinship among bikers.....and like the submarine force, that is further divided into a situation much like the nuke/dbf....but I have found they are all a pretty decent bunch of folks....

Runner485
Posted 2008-03-19 5:32 AM (#14054 - in reply to #14031)

COMSUBBBS

Dex, A Goldwinger is a top end Honda bike, that is so sophisticated that it drives itself, while you sit back and give it voice directions as to where you wanna go. It only costs a mere $90,000 for the basic unit, which means you get the cheapo version of the intercom, rather than the higher end digital voice system. For another $40,000 you get heated seats, (or saddles as they say in the industry) de-icing sideview mirrors and a gyro that keeps you upright at all times including when your stopped at a light....For another $28,000 you can get the version that allows you to not have to stop at any lights, stop signs or other little road annoyances.

So break out that check book and get on board. It'll eat up every penny in your 401k....Happy Trails
Launcher Lary
Posted 2008-03-19 6:54 AM (#14060 - in reply to #14031)

Senior Crew

Joe, Joe, Joe...I don't think that Schwinn makes training wheels for motorcycles, at least not ones capable of keeping our Velveeta and Spam assed friend verticle, and I don't think that either company makes a trike version, maybe he should call California Chopper for a special order...

heh heh heh

Billy Bob
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-03-19 7:40 AM (#14068 - in reply to #14031)

COMSUBBBS

I am writing a book called ROTTEN SONUVABICHES I HAVE KNOWN....a compendium of unsavory characters, scoundrals and unsalvagable human refuse. Billy Bob presently has ten chapters devoted to him. Love you Launcher....Next...One thing none of you have to worry about...me on a motorcycle. I had a terrifying initial experience and lost any desire I ever had to risk experiencing it again...I'd rather pet a cobra....go in a Bengal tiger cage....or juggle Iraqi IED's than get anywhere near anything remotely resembling a motorcycle. A close friend of mine and his dear bride both have one of these GOLD WING contraptions....From their description, they sound like a two wheeled Grayhound bus.....No Sir, I've acquired a lot of vices in my short span of life on this planet but strapping my worthless butt to a motorcycle isn't one of them.)..."Go Ye and worry not, for I shall stay seperate from all two wheeled mechanical devices." You've got my blood oath on that. DEX
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2008-03-19 10:18 PM (#14100 - in reply to #14060)

Great Sage of the Sea

Maybe not training whells, but Honda makes a Tricycle version of the Gold Wing - the guy who recruited me 30K years ago rides one, with his wifetucked in behind him. No gyro needed to remain upright.

Smiley
Posted 2008-03-20 6:23 AM (#14110 - in reply to #14036)
Great Sage of the Sea

Stoops - 2008-03-18 6:27 PM

Gold Wing is a Honda Motorcycle equipped with all the comforts of a mobile home in much less space.
Like nukes and DBFers, there are two main motorcycle enthusiasts......Harley Davidson, and Honda GoldWings.

These are the luxury class cycles..............One of my shipmates, a YNC(SS) who is originally from this area travels from Oregonad to Texas frequently on his GoldWing and sometimes extends the trip to visit another shipmate, RMC(SS) in Arkansas.

And I have shipmates who prefer the Harleys and for the last PERMIT reunion in San Diego, a group of these fellows put their wives on planes to San Diego and they met in Houston and drove their HAWGS to SD.

I don't think it makes much difference what you ride....there is a special kinship among bikers.....and like the submarine force, that is further divided into a situation much like the nuke/dbf....but I have found they are all a pretty decent bunch of folks...

It goes beyond being like the DBF/Nuke thing..It's more about American vs import,. Of all the guys I ride with none would be caught dead on a Honda.. In our local Rolling Thunder Chapter we have a few GoldWingers.. The bike is more a car than a Bike..it has reverse for goodness sake..some have GPS as well as stereo...why not just take your car???
I ride because I love bikes.. Wind in my hair, the Sound of a huge V twin through tuned pipes, the freedom, and the looks, as well as 40+mpg and performance. The people who like them ugly things also own and drive mini vans or Camrys and Accords at 90mph in rush hour traffic. Some of these people also have trailers they tag along with behind their Gold Wing.. We won't let them park in our motorcycle parking spaces at our local VFW..We have a sign that says "No Riceburners" I heard rumor that Honda is closing their Stateside Gold Wing plant where they "Assemble" Gold Wings.. They are moving production back to Japan or China... HD has out sold them the past several years Ride on all you Easy Riders.. I for one love the old British Bikes.. I have owned a few Nortons and Triumphs in my early days.. Nothing but HD since then.
Bob Melley
Posted 2008-03-20 7:27 AM (#14112 - in reply to #14031)
Old Salt

Honda bikes dont rumble and shake like the HDs........some people like that.......On the other hand, a smooth, quiet take away,
no oil on garage floor, and good readable instruments work for others.......At 65, I went to motorcycle school, a good idea in FL. I bot a small Honda 250cc, black, gold and red, full windscreen.....I loved it and was looking at a bigger bike......my wife witnessed a bad bike accident and asked me to give it up......torn between eating 3 meals a day at Mickey D's for the rest of my life and staying married, the bike went back to the Honda dealer.........I LOST NO $$$$$ in the transaction save gas and insurance which didn't amout to anything........BUT....if Hot Pants Molly Malone ever comes back from Alaska and calls me, I'll have a major decision to make.........
TCM
RCK
Posted 2008-03-20 8:11 AM (#14116 - in reply to #14031)
Master and Commander

I witnessed 3 bad motorcycle accidents. All were fatal. One guy was loookin east at a gal while heading west. He hit a lamp post and got killed. One guy passed a car too close and clipped the rear bumper. He ejected head first into an approaching car. Another guy met his end at an intersection when another driver ran a red light and the cyclist crashed into the side of the car. Even though I have seen these tragic accidents, I still rode my bike. I had two near misses. One when a guy turned right in front of me. I went sideways when I put the stops to her which slowed me down enough so the guy cleared the intersection before I hit him. Fortunately for me the bike righted itself before It went down. Last but not least, I was stopped at a three way stop sign when a guy coming at me couldn't stop and swung into my lane. I pushed back as hard as I could and rolled backwarards enough that he missed me by inches. I let him know what I thought of his driving skills as he sped by. I would still ride a bike if I had one. It is genetic as my father was a life long cycle nut.
Flapper
Posted 2008-03-20 4:15 PM (#14126 - in reply to #14031)

Master and Commander

Subject: A picture or two is worth 1,000 words

I can't believe that comparison pics haven't been posted. Without further adieu, I give you ...

the Honda Goldwing

...and a Harley 'Fatboy'

Road trip anyone?
Don Gentry
Posted 2008-03-20 5:10 PM (#14127 - in reply to #14126)

Admin

Subject: here's another 1,000 words

Hog or Tupperware - your choice

(BonnevilleBound.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments BonnevilleBound.jpg (176KB - 834 downloads)
Corabelle
Posted 2008-03-20 9:15 PM (#14131 - in reply to #14127)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: I know him!! My biker buddy!

Looks like you're packed up and heading out. Or, had you just arrived?

Cora
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2008-03-20 10:38 PM (#14133 - in reply to #14131)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: I know him!! My biker buddy!

Just in case you are interested, tomorrow is Good Friday, and the stock exchanges will be closed.

Harley Davidson, NYSE ticker symbol "HOG" closed at $38.23/share, up $2.47 over yesterday's close.
Flapper
Posted 2008-03-21 6:41 AM (#14136 - in reply to #14127)

Master and Commander

Subject: A little different camera angle, Don ...

... and being quicker to post that pic, might have saved me the effort of going through a Google of Honda & Harley images to make my point. It appears, from what little I can see, that the bike behind yours is a Goldwing.
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-03-21 10:27 AM (#14140 - in reply to #14031)

COMSUBBBS

Confession time. My first and last time on a two-wheeled conveyance occured in Bermuda. I rented one of those compression cycles, submariners called POPCICLES....Before imbibing in copious amounts of distilled spirits...me'n Stukey, Purdy and some other jaybird I can't remember right now...peddeled the damn things up Gibbs Light hill and came flyiung down the damn thing like rats with their tails on fire. We were young, fearless and stupid as hell. We drove our goofy contraptions into Hamilton and went to a Brit bluejacket hangout called Aggie Weston's Royal Sailors Rest...Aggies sold Cuba Libres (rum coke) for 5 cents a pop....For 75 cents American you could pickle your brain to a point resembling a chemical lobotomy. Non rated submariners of the late 50's were not noted for moderation and Emliy Post behavior. So, in keeping with Force behavior expectations, we proceded to get in the pre"knee walking, commode hugging" mode...(here, your Honor, I would like to have entered in the historical record, the following....At the point where we rented our two-wheel death bikes, we were given a key to the contraption and told. Lock the bike any time you leave it unattended. Remember that, it is important.) Once we got half in the bag, someone said,"Lets ride out to St. George." The entire country of Bermuda is like a Lionel train layout...You can jump up and down on one end and tilt the other end. So we went outside and singled up our lines...My other shipmates hopped aboard their mechanical steeds...and with a hardy "Hi-Oh Silver" disappeared into the darkness...The bastards had not followed the RIG FOR UNATTENDED BIKES bill and had failed to lock their mechanical steeds. I, one totally squared away drunk...had to play the "stick the key in the keyhole" game, then crank up and take off....Several things had happened by the time I got underway...(A) My shipmates had disappeared into the night traveling at the speed of light. (B) Alcohol, combined with my natually inherent stupidity had robbed me of my knowledge that the idiots mailing in their taxes to Queen Elisabeth didn't know what side of the road God ordained to drive on. So here I am flying through the balmy night like a wobbly meteorite on the wrong side of the road...(proper if I was in Chattanooga)....I reach terminal velocity heading down Parliment Street turn onto Apothecary Street and round the corner on to Bay Street...At this point, my eyeballs peering through an acohol induced rum colored haze see a lorry (limey for el trucko)...the sonuvabitch was heading right for me and I swerved to avoid joining the inventory of dead bugs plastered all over his grille. At this point, the Devil took over course control....I hit the curb puting an extremely expensive dent in the forward wheel rim....I went through a hedge (I returned to Bermuda for my 35th wedding anniversary and in the meantime the owners of the hotel have added a wrought iron picket fence topped off by iron spearpoints. I think I paid for the damn thing in court costs). Clearing the hedge, I plowed through some extremely rare flowers...also extremely expensive. Then I did something to the corner of a clay tennis court and slid sideways across a very plush grassy area into an evening lawn dance. The trip through the grass, sideways did a remarkable thing...It turned the starboard side of my uniform completely green...green from my ankle to my shoulder. This lovely lady, wearing a black velvet evening gown and a long loop pearl necklace who had barely escaped my high speed slide, came over and leaned down..."Sailor are you OK?" From my position. flat on my back, looking up the view was spectacular....When she bent over, the scoop of her neckline fell open...I mean VERY open...You could see her anatomical configuration from the contents of her half cup bra to damn near her belly button, Gravitational pull had her well developed bust seperating from the confinement of her breast retention lingerie. "Is there anything we can do for you? Don't move." The only thing I needed was adoption papers. She was Grace Kelly beautiful...I don't know if she was actually that pretty or became that way in subsequent late night fantasies fabricated in an outboard rack in Hogan's Alley. I can remember that she absent mindedly moved that droopy set of pearls so that I had an uninterupted view of her alabaster globes. Somewhere the local constabulary arrived...Bermuda gestapo arrive in cars that look like those Ringling Brothers clown-mobiles...It drives up and these little guys in cute shorts and long white socks wearing Bengal Lancer hats, come hopping out. These guys veiw US service personnel, in distress and having a world class grass stain...as a form of expensive hotel lawn litter. I was still under the impression that I had been run off the road by some idiot bastard driving on the wrong side of the road and attempted to explain this to the clown cops who produced little billy bats and beat the living crap out of me and tossed me into some kind of Tonka toy looking truck cage....There were two other U.S. naval personnel enjoying riding in the cage..One guy was a gunner off the USS KING (DLG-I) and the other one was a black guy from Alabama (I can't remember anything about him only that his big mouth really raised the price of poker the next day in court.). The local lock up in Hamilton runneth over with wall-to-wall drunken U.S. naval personnel....At the fleet landing boat cox'uns and bow hooks were sorting drunks by right shoulder ship name patches, and delivering them UPS style to their quarterdecks. It was obvious that a good time was being had by all. Since the Hamilton calaboose was loaded to capacity...they hauled the excess out to Fort Saint Catherine. For those who never had the opportunity to become intimately exposed to Fort Saint Catherine...it's an old stone fort dating back to the early days of Bermuda and contained guns that covered the only clear passage past the coral reefs and was placed there to blow hell out of any enemy approching. In the late fifties it was a tourist attraction, it's principle attraction being that it was used to house captured pirates awaiting conveyance to England for trial and hanging. I think it once held Blackbeard. The prison block was damp, with moss covered walls with stinking standing water everywhere...and during the night I spent there, loaded with drunken sailors of U.S., Canadian and British origin. All night long we were treated to vomitting, peeing and drunken snoring. The next morning names were called and we were taken to a courtyard, given a real fancy parchment looking document, with a red wax seal that read HER MAJESTY ELISABETH REGINA II vs SEAMAN ROBERT D. ARMSTRONG USN. Up to that very moment I didn't think the Queen knew anything about my existence on the planet....now here it was just me and Liz engaging in some kind of contest. They drove us to the Couthouse in Hamilton and put us in a room with a spiral staircase leading to the floor above where you came out in a sort of cage called The Dock...I went up paired with the black guy from Alabama whose big mouth immediately got us both in deep doo-doo. We get up in the dock and find that all the lawyers (barristers) and the judge are decked out in very elaborate wigs...sets of curls worthy of Liberace. The guy from Alabama starts laughing and says loud enough for everyone in a 150 foot radius to hear clearly...."Which twin has the TONI?" and "Jeezus Christ, we've been captured by the flaming faries." Immediately all assessed fines tripled. I was given the opportunity to pay close to $500 for improper behavior, pedigreed posies, a bent moped rim. repair of disturbed tennis court dirt, and disruption of a Princess Hotel scheduled social event...and unspecified court cost. My Gunnery Officer paid the bailiff from the non-existent, totally illegal saltwater savings and loan a la slush fund....and I signed up to pull a ten month dead horse to pay back the advance of my GET OUT OF JAIL loan. Liz won big time and my butt and a motorcylce seat have never had a nostalgic reunion. DEX
Don Gentry
Posted 2008-03-21 3:57 PM (#14160 - in reply to #14136)

Admin

Subject: RE: A little different camera angle, Don ...

No Gold Wings in our camp.  Probably a TourGlide or similar... I can't remember now.  I saw very few metric bikes in Sturgis and most were crotch rocket styles.

And Cora, the pic was taken just before I left for the Bonneville Salt Flats.

Runner485
Posted 2008-03-21 4:20 PM (#14161 - in reply to #14140)

COMSUBBBS

Gee Dex....Just when I thought you were gonna purchase a crotch rocket....

Edited by Runner485 2008-03-23 5:32 AM
Corabelle
Posted 2008-03-21 9:29 PM (#14174 - in reply to #14160)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Don,

Have I seen that T-shirt before?

Cora
Smiley
Posted 2008-03-24 1:28 PM (#14239 - in reply to #14127)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: here's another 1,000 words

Don Gentry - 2008-03-20 6:10 PM

I love it.. My Son rides Ducatis he has 2 Italian stallions in his garage..One of which is a 20 grand race bike..
He races when he's home at a big track somewhere in the woods of VA.. Nice bikes but they're sportbikes and for the life of me I don't know how he can ride them in that semi prone position?? They do sound sweet though... like Harleys on steroids.. Anyway he makes fun of us HD cruiser dudes from time to time..
He'll say if I wanted to ride a couch I'd stay at home.. I usually respond "if you need to ask you won't understand"..
I like the "Hog or Tupperware".. May I borrow it???
Smiley
Posted 2008-03-24 1:29 PM (#14240 - in reply to #14127)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: here's another 1,000 words

Don Gentry - 2008-03-20 6:10 PM

I love it.. My Son rides Ducatis he has 2 Italian stallions in his garage..One of which is a 20 grand race bike..
He races when he's home at a big track somewhere in the woods of VA.. Nice bikes but they're sportbikes and for the life of me I don't know how he can ride them in that semi prone position?? They do sound sweet though... like Harleys on steroids.. Anyway he makes fun of us HD cruiser dudes from time to time..
He'll say if I wanted to ride a couch I'd stay at home.. I usually respond "if you need to ask you won't understand"..
I like the "Hog or Tupperware".. May I borrow it???
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software