Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: A typical modern submarine may require as many as 2,000 working drawings for the more than 7,000,000 items used in its construction. Blueprints from these drawings if placed end to end would make a strip 250 miles long.
A-1 Alarm Company
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

GaryKC
Posted 2008-03-18 8:38 PM (#14046)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: A-1 Alarm Company

Now that I've invested in a home entertainment system and hired a butler to help me around the house; I figgered it was time to protect my new stuff with some sort of high-tech, state of the art alarm system. Bubba came over this morning and installed it... I sure hope it works!

(divealarm.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments divealarm.jpg (31KB - 838 downloads)
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-03-19 7:45 AM (#14069 - in reply to #14046)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: A-1 Alarm Company

Gary, If you have ANY intention of jerking the handle of that sonuvabitch...Go buy your bride the industrial strength, super absorbant PAMPERS...She'll need them. DEX
Coyote
Posted 2008-03-21 11:54 AM (#14147 - in reply to #14046)

Master and Commander

That switch used to weld me to the deck about once a week. Like everything else on Sarda, it was worn out. Sarda was a New London school boat, and made 16 or more dives a day. The O-ring on the handle shaft would wear and admit salt water, which would cause the alarm not to oogah.

So I'd get sent to the bridge with new O-rings, vaseline, and a hair dryer. If I was lucky, the AE Fwd would turn off power to the dang thing, otherwise I'd take off the cover and receive a shock as power went through me to the bridge structure. Then I'd scream to turn off the power and they'd do it.

Then use the hair dryer to dry out the insides, take the handle off the shaft, take the switch off from inside and the old O-ring off the shaft. Put on the new O-ring with vaseline to help seal it, put it all back together, get the power back on and test it. Sounds easy enough, but it wasn't when it was raining and it always rained off New London in the winter.

I was the ship's sonarman; I still don't know how I got responsibility for that switch.

DBF

Regards, Coyote
Flapper
Posted 2008-03-21 5:54 PM (#14162 - in reply to #14147)

Master and Commander

Coyote - 2008-03-21 12:54 PMT{SNIP}
I was the ship's sonarman; I still don't know how I got responsibility for that switch.DBFRegards, Coyote

You got it because they figured an ICman or - God forbid - a regular 'trician's mate, would probably leave a sound-short ... and they figured you'd be careful enough to not cause yourself any further headaches!
(((Ping!)))

Edited by Flapper 2008-03-21 5:55 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software