Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Any man who may be asked in this century what he did to make his life worthwhile... can respond with a good deal of pride and satisfaction,...' I served in the United States Navy'.” -- John F. Kennedy
A Moving Rendition Of Our National Anthem
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

RCK
Posted 2008-03-20 11:36 AM (#14121)
Master and Commander

Subject: A Moving Rendition Of Our National Anthem

Took aawhile to download but very moving by the "Cactus Cuties"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QKCVS57j284
steamboat
Posted 2008-03-20 12:22 PM (#14122 - in reply to #14121)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: A Moving Rendition Of Our National Anthem

WOH! Now that was AWSOME!
Thanks RCK.
Steamboat sends

Edited by steamboat 2008-03-20 12:23 PM
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-03-20 3:22 PM (#14123 - in reply to #14121)

COMSUBBBS

To me there are certain things that should not be monkeyed with, added to, subject to whimsical rendition, rechoreographed. cutsified, or subjected to alteration. Ballpark renditions, sports events alterations and popular singers adding their personal imprint on out national anthem is wrong....It is a sacred song. It is the symbol of our country. Jazzing up our NATIONAL ANTHEM has become "the thing to do", maybe it's time to rewrite the LORDS PRAYER...Add a few more COMMANDMENTS....Stick some more stuff in the PLEDGE....jazz up AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL...Toss in a few more lines in the BOY SCOUT OATH....No I don't think so. If those cute Cactus Sweetie Pies want to jazz up Mary Had A Little Lamb, She'll Be Coming Round the Mountain or Hi Diddle Diddle...fine...no problem, but leave my ANTHEM alone. Last year, I attended the funeral of a soldier killed in Iraq....the lad's mother had some high school trumpet playing doober knock out a souped up, jazz rendition of TAPS...cause "Danny would really like it". I damn near shot my lunch. I know this will draw flack and recognize that I am in a very thinly populated minority...but my ANTHEM is to be sung with respect, reverence, honor and just the way the man who penned the lines and set it to music, intended it to be sung....not turned into a Tin Pan Alley or Cole Porter novelty tune. DEX
Flapper
Posted 2008-03-20 3:58 PM (#14125 - in reply to #14123)

Master and Commander

dex armstrong - 2008-03-20 4:22 PM {Snip}...but my ANTHEM is to be sung with respect, reverence, honor and just the way the man who penned the lines and set it to music, intended it to be sung....not turned into a Tin Pan Alley or Cole Porter novelty tune. DEX

Just a small point, Dexter my man: F Scott Key indeed 'penned the lines', but the music (which because of the vocal range required, often gets mutilated) is borrowed from an old pre-Revolution times English drinking song.

That said, anthem-assassination by untalented hacks like Ms Roseanne Rarr ... or twisted beyond recognition by doo-wopping American Idol wanna-bes, is an affront to me too. But in my opinion, the Cactus Cuties sang it with harmonizing respect, acapella (without accompaniment) so, with a range of voices they were just duplicating some of counterpoints ordinarily produced by a band or orchestra. It was a good version in my book.

Edited by Flapper 2008-03-20 3:59 PM
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-03-21 7:58 AM (#14137 - in reply to #14121)

COMSUBBBS

This is a subject I feel passionate about...First, I knew that F.S. Key wrote the lyrics and put them to Anachreon in Heaven a British pub song. That done, it transcended its' status as a drinking song and when chartered by Congress to be symbolic as representative of the heart and courage exemplified by the nation...it sure as hell became elevated far beyond its' former status. At least in my heart. The yougsters today never heard Mahalia Jackson, Kate Smith and the New York Firemans' Chior sing their Anthem...those renditions were representations where NO LIBERTIES were taken, they were reverential, respectful and had NO GIMMICKS IN THEIR PRESENTATION. This nation was inspired during World War II by Kate Smith's rendition of GOD BLESS AMERICA....it played constantly and conveyed the American spirit by forceful, purpose filled delivery. If it is possible...view the Churchill funeral and listen to the awe inspiring cathedral delivery of the two songs Churchill requested...A MIGHTY FORTRESS IS OUR GOD and THE BATTLE HYMN OF THE REPUBLIC (His favorite song and requested to honor his American Mother). Songs that are symbolic of sacred belief and national purpose should not be made subject to individual whim and caprice. I know that our national spirit has morphed into some kind of public commercial, "Support the Troops" bumper sticker society where patriotic people must have the required doo-dads...like trunk magnets, plastic antenna flags, flag lepel pins, yellow ribbons around oak trees and never question anything we do....Individualism has given way to homogenized society, ethnic blending and being assigned to specific voting blocks....military recruiters twiddle their thumbs and play gin rummy for lack of young lads coming through the door. From the voluntary service force statistics, hired mercinaries now far out number men and women subject to the UCMJ in our combat theaters...and laugh at them for being sucked in by the high dollar sign up bonuses, when BLACKWATER SECURITY contractors are making ten times more than the poor bastards slogging through the heat going door to door. Let's face it...when we did away with the Draft and American lads could say "screw military service, go get ghetto boys." and we lowered the national service standards so we could attract bottom feeders...paroled felons...and non high school grads, we got a national male population where most...most meaning the majority of lads 18-35, who own spinal columns that never felt a boot camp mattress. Loss of reverence for American iconic symbols such as our glorious Anthem is a part of that picture. Repect for our national symbols has diminished greatly...Scouting participation has lost a lot iof the meaning it had when I was a kid...they've taken a lot of the risk and adventure out of it...Because of bulls**t laws, no kid goes to school carrying an official Scout knife...a former symbol of maturity and trust...Mothers for the most part, discourage their sons from going into the service...and tell them time wasted serving the flag could be better spent going to college or vocational training. I serve on a ROTARY scholarship committee. In an interview of a youngster who had been thinking about entering the Air Force to obtain some kind of specific electronics training, we found an extremely bright, focused and highly motivated lad....and awarded him a $35,000 no strings outright grant...After the award, his Mother came up, shook my hand and said..."Oh thank you...thank you...thank you for keeping my son out of the military." And deep inside a small voice said, "Damn, what in the hell did you do?". I never saw that one coming. As usual, I have strayed all over Hell and half Georgia...and want to get back to The Texas Cutie Pies and their univerally accepted version of the song that is America...it may have been a Brit drunks ditty but the minute this nation married it as symbolic of the Republic it became far more. Let them sing YANKEE DOODLE, that's a little cutie pie song....FROGGY WENT A COURTIN' things like that....but the adults behind them should have the sense to realize that our NATIONAL ANTHEM is a sacred inviolate symbol to be left alone....like the flag....Christ on the crucifix...the likenesses on Mount Rushmore....and Lincoln on the penny. Sure I know that we have gone from great Americans on postage stamps to Mickey Mouse, Mickey Rooney, Barbara Striesand, The Hulk, Tinkerbelle, Howdy-Dooty, and have lowered the standard of our once beautiful stamps to one step above doggie doo and we use our post offices to hawk scarves, key chains, pins, tie clips, colorful wrapping paper, tape, boxes...to include brighty decorated boxes to use for presents, colorful party bags and all sorts of garbage that doesn't have a thing to do with increased efficiency in getting U.S. Mail from pouint A to point B....The postal system has gone so far in the dumper, it has become part of the deep submergence program....But, we gave the Statue of Libery a face lift and make over...we sent her gown to the cleaners, We rehabbed the Washibngtion Monument, and did a fantastic job on saving Mount Vernon....If we act fast maybe we can stop the rush to turn our National Song into some hip-hop ditty, a rap rant, or a Hee-Haw Hillbilly hit.....Then we can turn our attention to keeping The Virgin Mary out of the VICTORIA SECRETS catalog. DEX
RCK
Posted 2008-03-21 10:27 AM (#14139 - in reply to #14121)
Master and Commander

There is no codified material that describes how the national anthem is to be sung. The only information that is presented represents how the different segments of the audience should respond. Stand, men remove hats, civilians face the flag and place their right hand over the heart, and military salute. There is no script on the style that the Anthem is to be sung. Most of the time the Anthem is sung by one person and the style is dependent upon the person who sings it. Some deviate from the tradition to one that fits their vocal capability with no disrespect intended. The only true abuse that I am aware of was the rendtion given by Roseann Barr and she was booed off the field. She later apologized for her performance. As regards to the young ladies who sang the Anthem at the beginging of a Texas Tech basketball game, it was done with traditional stle and they received thunderous applause from the crowd. The girls range in age from 8 to 13 years old. I don't always think that a particular rendition is great but often it is within the style of the singer and to demand they change their style would make it worse. I might add that this was done by a chorus of singers and not a single person. The style and presentation are both appropriate and respectful. It is unfortunate that Dex thinks that his views somehow have to be voiced. He's frequently wrong but seldom in doubt. Sometimes it is better to remain silent on an issue that you disagree with and leave others to wonder if you are an ignoranus that to open your mouth and remove all doubt. My last word on the issue is that the girls were simply awe inspiring and patriotic and I love every bit of it. P.S. Dex if I were you I wouldn't voice your opinion on this matter around the Texas Tech Campus. They enjoy cooking on a spit over an open fire.
John396
Posted 2008-03-21 11:10 AM (#14144 - in reply to #14121)
Old Salt

#1- I agree with Dex. I have seen some renditions of the Anthum, that if I have had a gun I'd shoot the bastards!!!
#2- I think that these little girls were wonderfull!!!!!!!
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-03-21 11:15 AM (#14145 - in reply to #14121)

COMSUBBBS

You're wrong...Check with the United States Army Band...the Presidents Own...There's a list of prohibitions a mile long, to include renditions sung the way your Cactus Kuties sing it. There are documents that must be signed and notarized before singing our Anthem in a government approved swetting...Robert Goulet, for example forfitted his right to appear at the White House because of his disregard for the proper singing of our Anthem. Goulet was a Canadian and really didn't give a damn. But many contribute his decline in popularity and the drop off in his record sales to public reaction to his disgraceful Anthem performance. Like the PR guy, with the ARMY BAND just told me. "Tell the fellow, that both the official words and music are CLEARLY laid out in the Congressional legislation that Chartered THE STAR SPANGLED BANNER as the United States National Anthem and authorized it to supercede all other unofficial non Chartered songs such as the more popular AMERICA THE BEAUTIFUL. The story goes that the famous John Phillip Sousa wrote a march based on THE STAR SPANGLED BANNER and was asked by the then Commandant of the Marine Corps to destroy it, because it adulterated a pillar upon which American society rested...Goulet forfitted his future White House invitations and I would assume that the same goes for Rosanne Barr. You see, official renditions cannot shame or embarrass the country the Anthem represents. Sad that Texas subscribes to a much lower standard and fails to see the level of respect required of a nations representative anthem. Before your posting I thought that Texas would have to adhere to our national standard...that didn't allow freelancing and lyrical moderation. I stand admonished and corrected. Where in the hell did you come up with the idea that the music and words were subject to some free wheeling freelance interpretation? Is that TEXAS thinking? Contact your Senator or Congressman for words and sheet music or place an order with the Government Printing Office....The United Stares Marine Band also publishes a Guide to Anthem Protocol and Flag Etiquette. Your comment reminds me of an old East Tennessee saying..."If it wasn't for Tennessee (Sam Houston and Davy Crockett and a lot of men just like em) there would be no TEXAS." Next...Two men riding on a train...one guy turns to the other..."Hey, you went to TEXAS A&M.", the other fellow looks startled,"I sure did...How'n the Hell did you know that?"..."Simple...read your class ring when you were picking your nose?" Hey, Don't pass out Texas crap...I can go for a day and a half with Texas harpoons. You can sum it up, with undertakers giving Texans enemas so they can use matchboxes for caskets. I rode the boats with Bobby Ray Knight from outside El Paso and spent the better part of four years fending off Tennessee Hillbilly harpoons with Texas flaming arrows...great game. The story goes, the Lord gave Crockett the choice of going to Hell or Texas..."I ain't no damn coward, I'll take Texas.".....Texans are living proof that Mexicans had sex with the buffalo....Luv it. Those little Taco Kuties should move to Tennessee...you see what good mountain air did for Dolly Parton. Luv ya, DEX
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-03-21 11:30 AM (#14146 - in reply to #14121)

COMSUBBBS

Dex is often wrong..but also passionate in his belief...RCK, lets face it. You posted a lot of garbage relative to your personally made up facts. It read GREAT...but was damn near totally factually WRONG. I am told that each year, many school band leaders write to the Library of Congress to obtain proper sheet music for the playing of our National Anthem...Not some Texas hoppitty skippity yahoo version as you suggest. But, the respectful Congressional Chartered version. And what in the hell does a gym full of howling basketball fans have to do with the proper singing of our National Anthem? Dex never set himself up as an expert on the Anthem...but to be honest after treating myself to your totally off base diatribe and litany of made up nonsense...No official way to present our Anthem? You ever hear any of the service bands and featured singers do a Texas Cutie rendition? You ever hear them deviate for personal improvement of the presentation? NEVER. Hey, enjoy what you like after reading your KNOW IT ALL post, be my guest, enjoy the loud applause Texas basketball Anthem and stay happy. DEX
Launcher Lary
Posted 2008-03-21 11:54 AM (#14148 - in reply to #14139)

Senior Crew

(quote)...It is unfortunate that Dex thinks that his views somehow have to be voiced. He's frequently wrong but seldom in doubt. Sometimes it is better to remain silent on an issue that you disagree with and leave others to wonder if you are an ignoranus that to open your mouth and remove all doubt...(unquote)

I didn't have a "dog in this fight" until this comment...what the hell makes you think that YOU have a right to have YOUR views aired/printed but not him??? Everyone, and I mean every US Citizen has this right, remember free speech??? Everybody is entitled to his or her opinion, remember opinions are like a$$holes, everyone has one and they ALL stink. Which leads me to my next comment, how can his opinion be wrong, if it's an opinion, then it's a belief not a fact, also, he's been right more than he's been wrong. Lastly, if there is any credence to your last sentence in this quote, then why didn't you listen to your own advice???

Just a casual observance from someone without a dog in this fight, other than DEX is my friend...

Billy Bob

p.s. I am impressed that they knew all the words, celebs have attempted to sing it, on national t.v. no less, and couldn't remember the words.

Edited by Launcher Lary 2008-03-21 12:06 PM
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-03-21 12:37 PM (#14150 - in reply to #14121)

COMSUBBBS

FORGET THE PREVIOUS PIE TOSSING. To gather the previous Anthem information, I made a number of phone calls. I just got a return phone call from the Army Band who has liason with the U.S. Secret Service who approve of the protocol and establish Presidential mandates prescribed for official visits, to include the singing of the Anthem. The Secret Service gave him the following story. Lyndon Johnson was President during a period of great national divisiveness, because of the war in Southeast Asia. There were damn near daily war protests and the hippies were everywhere. At some point Johnson flew to Chicago for a testimonial dinner given by prominent Chicago lawyers. They had hired a very popular Chicago nightclub singer to sing the National Anthem prior to the attendees being seated for dinner. The gal, unbekownst to the Lawyers Association was a totally committed anti-war zealot and sung a highly disrepectful parody on the Anthem. The attendees sat in shock. The Secret Service ushered the woman from the stage and deposited her outside on the sidewalk. Johnson asked the two reporters present to do him the favor of not reporting the incident and the request was endorsed and amplified by Mayor Daly....and the request was honored by both reporters and all guests. After that, Johnson requested that in all future requests for his presence at functions, if the Anthem was to be sung... a bond must be posted and a transcribed and recorded version of the Anthem provided to the Secret Service. Johnson told Mickey Woodson..."If the sonuvabitches make a damn fool out of me like that again...It's gonna cost the bastards $200,000 for starters." Mickey said,"It scared hell out of a lot of program planners and was never court tested." The practice of providing certified recordings and the signing of enforcable documents remains a part of official visit protocol. Also once in Lesotho, a local high school band screwed up the playing of our Anthem unintentionally and the poor band leader didn't know what to do...and how to apologize so he ran over yelling "I'm sorry, I'm so sorry." Dropped to his knees and began kissing the First Lady's shoes. Ted Carson remembered a time when a little girl in an elementary school visited by Nancy Reagan forgot the words and substituted "And the rockets went boom, boom, boom". Ted also said, he never fails to be moved to tears when the announcer says,"PLEASE STAND FOR OUR NATIONAL ANTHEM and he sees old feeble veterans struggle painfully to their feet and place old carewiorn hands over their hearts and stand as erect as they can for the singing of the STAR SPANGLED BANNER....He says one time in the mid 60's when he was brand new to the band's administration and old WWI vet came up to him and asked, "Could you guys play 'It's a long,long way to Tipperrary?' Me and Bill here sung it in the French trenches in 1918." We had no music for it and none of us knew it well enough to wing it...We told him we were sorry but we couldn't do a good enough job of it to pass muster. He understood and thanked us anyway. At our Monday night rehersal I told the story...seven members of the band formed an impromptu group...practiced Tipperrary and ten or twelve more piopular WWI songs and returned to the old folks home and set up before dinner. When they ushered the old battle scarred coots in, they were greeted with Irving Berlin's OVER THERE and JOHNNY GET YOUR GUN...then they got the old rascal who made the request, pushed his wheelchair up front..got his pall Bill and struck up IT'S A LONG WAY TO TIPPERRARY...." Over gthe phone you could hear Ted get a little misty eyed telling the stories. He said something I never thought of,"Why do Americans feel compelled to dick around with the Anthem?". I had no answer. By the way, Ted's a wounded Viet-Nan era vet...Army field artillery. DEX
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-03-21 12:44 PM (#14151 - in reply to #14121)

COMSUBBBS

Bill Berman wants to know what "No codified material"means? DEX
Scrivener
Posted 2008-03-21 2:55 PM (#14157 - in reply to #14121)
Senior Crew

What does codified mean? In my opinion, “codified” means that something is included in statutory law. In this case it would be the U.S. Code. 36 U.S.C.A. provides: “The composition consisting of the words and music known as the Star-Spangled Banner is the national anthem”. The statute does not expressly prescribe the particular musical score that must be used. On the other hand, what did the drafters intend “music” to mean? I suspect that the drafters intended that version of the music that has traditionally been used. So, at least in an oblique way, the traditional version of the music has been codified. I might be wrong, though, not having examined the legislative record.

Sometimes, “codified” more loosely means “a rule carrying the force of law”, such as, say, an administrative regulation. I’ll bet that there are armed forces and executive branch regulations which prescribe how the anthem is to be played at military and governmental functions. And, I’ll bet that this is what Dex has in mind. Those regulations probably don’t govern private renditions at non-governmental events.

“He said something I never thought of,"Why do Americans feel compelled to dick around with the Anthem?".” In my opinion the answer is that occasionally the singer wants to show disrespect to the country. Sometimes the singer, being an entertainer, simply wants to show off (“hey, look at how talented I am”) and, rather than directing attention and respect to the country, tries to direct attention to himself. Both motives are wrong.

I personally favor the traditional version, when it is done right. But, I was not offended by the girls’ version, as I sensed that they were not attempting to disrespect the country or egotistically gather attention to themselves. And, I like harmony.

At any rate, that’s my 2 cent, hip-pocket opinion.
Corabelle
Posted 2008-03-21 3:22 PM (#14159 - in reply to #14151)

COMSUBBBS

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the way these little girls sang the National Anthem.

This is my opinion, and it didn't take five typewritten pages to voice it.

And I also didn't have to insult Texas; Texans; Northerners, Southerners, Mexicans or buffaloes.

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2008-03-21 3:56 PM
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-03-21 6:13 PM (#14165 - in reply to #14121)

COMSUBBBS

Scrivener, thanks. Your post is a very intelligent, well crafted presentation. Your assessment would seem right on the mark. Our government does provide what I thought to be the sanctioned and official version in sheet music printed at taxpayer expense and mailed out by various federal offices, to include the Dept. of Defense, Congress, the Government Printing Office and ALL of the service bands. As I understand it, the music is provided to insure what I am told is "consistant presentation" as called for in the Congressional Charter. In the household I grew up in, the National Anthem was as sacred as any religious profession of faith or patriotic imagery. As a young lad, I stood next to my Dad, who had recently returned from fighting in five European theaters of operation, at the opening of a Chattanooga Lookouts game. He picked me up, stood me on my stadium seat...taught me how to cover my heart with my hand and stand tall for the singing of the National Anthem...a song (his words) "Good men died for"...Unlike others whose opinions are rightfully expressed here, I am the kind of person who feels monkeying about with a song men died for, is wrong. There is no argument imaginable that would cause me to diviate from that...with all the songs that have been written that no one would care about them being cutsified, messed with, why the Anthem? Let's imagine a scenario where those little girls parents sat them down and said,"Sweetheart, this song is sacrosanct...its' purity and musical composition are a universally recognized symbol of the country of your birth. It would be wrong to alter the intended way the song is sung for simply to provide a unique presentatiuon or achieve a theatrical publicly appealing result. Darling, there are some things you will encounter in life that as you grow older that deserve your undivided respect and that should remain traditionally untouched. Historical acceptance requires consistency. A man once said, "There are inviolate rules with no exceptions. Exceptions dilute the intent and from the point of accetance of the exception you water down the intent and henceforth you no longer have a rule, but a flexible policy...and flexible policies breed more flexible policies." There are obviously folks who say, "The Anthem is no big deal". It is to me. That is a cross I bear gladly. But, there is another ideal men died for...the right of publicly expressed disagreement...and God Bless them for it. DEX
Don Gentry
Posted 2008-03-21 6:37 PM (#14167 - in reply to #14121)

Admin

I think the orignal post only said it was a moving rendition... nothing more.  I have to agree with that.  I don't think, first, it's reasonable to expect young kids to fully understand what's behind the words and music, and second, harmony is harmony... it's not creative license or "jazzing it up"... it's one of the most basic long-standing forms of vocal presentation in music.  A large choral group would have done it the same way but the harmonic transitions wouldn't have been so clearly heard having been muted by so many competing voices.

To rule out simple harmony would be to restrict the performance of the anthem to a single voice.  I figure if five young girls want to get together and sing the National Anthem in this day and age, we're all money ahead

Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-03-21 7:10 PM (#14169 - in reply to #14121)
COMSUBBBS

There are somethings in this world and in this life I don't think should be messed with. One of those things is OUR National Anthem.
There are plenty of other patriotic songs to do with as your little hearts desire. Our National Anthem is not one of them. That's it plain and simple!
If you want a second one not to mess with, it is the Lord's Prayer.
steamboat
Posted 2008-03-22 4:42 AM (#14176 - in reply to #14121)
Master and Commander

For once I gotta side with Cora. I see nothing at all wrong with the little girls presentation of the anthem. I guess it is a matter of degree as to how far off base you are . As far as i can tell they sang every note as written. Now I would strongly disagree with a rap version.
Steamboat sends
steamboat
Posted 2008-03-22 4:44 AM (#14177 - in reply to #14121)
Master and Commander

For once I gotta side with Cora. I see nothing at all wrong with the little girls presentation of the anthem. I am a extremely firm believer in tradition. I guess it is a matter of degree as to how far off base you are . As far as i can tell they sang every note as writtenb but in harmony. Now I would strongly disagree with a rap version.
Steamboat sends
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-03-22 5:34 AM (#14178 - in reply to #14121)

Master and Commander

Subject: What an interesting thread.....

.....after reading the comments by y'all, I just had to watch the rendition by the girls.

I must say that I for one was impressed with the way they sang it. To me, it was done in a respectful manner, which at the end of the day ( evidently that is called, 'night' ) is all you ever want.

I read with much interest Dex's comments. I respect Dex for his integrity and passion, I wish I was more like that myself. I totally agree with his comments wrt not singing the anthem in a disrespectful manner, and I didn't see that in the girls rendition at all.

When I was at my one and only ice hockey game recently in Illinois, a bunch of pre-schoolers sang your anthem, they were in all reality, terrible singers/yellers ( as pre-schoolers are ) but I am sure they sang it to the best of their collective abilities and were warmly applauded for it too....including myself.

Hopefully that was short enough for you Cora? You may not like him, but we don't have to keep being told that either.

Blue *_*
Hugh
Posted 2008-03-23 1:50 AM (#14194 - in reply to #14121)

Senior Crew

Dex, the Marine Corps Band is "The President's Own" - not the Godless Army wannabe's.

http://www.marineband.usmc.mil/

Edited by Hugh 2008-03-23 1:54 AM
The Brat
Posted 2008-03-23 6:14 AM (#14195 - in reply to #14146)

Crew

I say, when Dex's grand kids can stand before 25 thousand people and sing the National Anthem as well as those 5 little girls did, then he will have the right to ping on Texans. Until then, he should remain mindful of the fact that there are more then a handful of TEXANS on this BBS he should not be so eager to insult the way he did.......
Tom O'Connor
Posted 2008-03-23 7:30 AM (#14196 - in reply to #14177)
Mess cooking

I have no problem with the way these young ladies sang the National Anthem. I can't believe that all the arguing here centers around the way the Anthem should (or should not) be sung. How many in this "fight" actually watched the video? The thing that really irks me is the complete disrespect shown by the cameraman SITTING ON THE FLOOR, directly behind the girls, FARTING AROUND WITH HIS CAMERA EQUIPMENT throughout the entire performance.
GaryKC
Posted 2008-03-23 8:31 AM (#14198 - in reply to #14121)

COMSUBBBS

Another moving rendition, by a veteran.IMHO

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LV7TMFceriw&feature=related

Edited by GaryKC 2008-03-23 8:33 AM

Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-03-23 1:39 PM (#14202 - in reply to #14198)

Master and Commander

Sorry mate, I disagree with you on that one and I was actually going to mention this version in my earlier post on how not to perform it.

He may be playing that to the best of his abilities, but, it is a disrespectful version, as is the spectators reaction.

....there you go, an Aussie 2 cents worth...which amounts to about maybe US$O.O18 worth.

Blue *_*
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software