Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS NAUTILUS SSN 571 made history by cruising submerged from the pacific to the Atlantic Ocean, passing under the North Pole at 11:15 p.m. EDST on August 3, 1958.
GREAT TEXAS/TENNESSEE HARPOON EXCHANGE
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-03-23 2:11 PM (#14203)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: GREAT TEXAS/TENNESSEE HARPOON EXCHANGE

There's a fellow who obviously reads Don's Board but doesn't post. He calls himself Laredo Larry and rode Diesel Boats (not sure which one but from deductions, I think it was a SubRon 4 boat out of Charleston.) The old crusty coot has a great sense of humor and enjoys the old MessDeck brickbat tossing. He's a devout dyed in the wool Texan and the tw3o of us have enjoyed playing pin-the-tail on each other's donkey like the old days with Gary McLaughlin, Old Gringo, Billy Bob, Olgoat, Jon Krup, Chief Clear, John Wynn and the rest of the long-ago merry men. Loredo Larry (I hope I got the spelling right) you've made me laugh so damn hard I've fallen off the chair. The one about University of Tennessee Co-Eds and differed dental work is a classic. I know that you say that you don't want to become the target of derision by boatsailor non-qual groupies who don't understand our humor, but you don't help that by remaining in the closet. A very smart gentleman who is an old wioseman here, told me to just ignore those folks and join the Dance of the Rediculous that is an old Submarine Sailor tradition. We need your kind if zinger wit. Also, you are right about that famous Texan Audy Murphy...but don't forget that old East Tennessean, Sgt. Alvin York...another very deserving actual hero. Houston and Crockett were two fellows from the Volunteer State...If all the boys from Tennessee had used the Alamo's back door and if Houston and the Tennessee Volunteers had not shown up at San Juacinto....you'd be eating a helluvalot more chili peppers and refried beans than you're doing now. I did get a kick out of your characterization of Hee-Haw and what you term the Nashville Sound..That was damn funny. I love a Texan like yourself who can fashion responsive comebacks and whittle great flaming arrows. We need you, Kemosabi...Please consider joining the Board. Also, to answer your question...YES, I knew Jack Snyder...Great Sonarman...also made fantastic handtooled leather goods...but, (A) Jack was from Arizona (B) He was authorized to wear those cowboy boots and (C) It is my understanding that he died years back of a congenital heart defect nobody knew about. Mr. Loredo, thanks...now I must go cut out all the harpoon heads you busted off in my butt. Thanks for the wonderful smiles. DEX
Flapper
Posted 2008-03-23 4:29 PM (#14208 - in reply to #14203)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: GREAT TEXAS/TENNESSEE HARPOON EXCHANGE

I was reading your post, Dex, and what should appear right above it just now?

At random: "Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits thatsomehow seem to get along, understand each other and work welltogether.” -- Red Hanley who overheard a skimmer officer say this whiletalking to a non-navy type

That there is what ya call yer basic serendipity, eh?
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software