Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The Grampus and Pike were commissioned in ceremonies at Mare Island the same day, Thursday, the 28th of May 1903. A young naval officer, Lieutenant Arthur MacArthur III, older brother of General Douglas MacArthur, assumed command for both vessels at the same time.
SS?
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Corabelle
Posted 2008-03-24 11:20 AM (#14235)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: SS?

There was a Letter to the Editors in this morning's newspaper that said:

"Time running out to earn military honor due him.

Congratulations to the family and friends of the late Sergeant Woodrow Wilson Keeble* on his receipt of the Congressional Medal of Honor. Someone or more spent many hours of work and frustration to gain the approval for this award.

The United States Army uses a simple regulation: You need a witness and no self-nomination to regulate and control all considerations. Our Sen. John Thune knows this only too well. (Nothing written by man is or can be infinite: there has to be a course of action for exceptions to this basic regulation.)

Hundreds of thousands of our GIs earned medals of valor higher than the Bronze Star. Their only problem is/was a "3" prefix on their serial nmber if enlisted or an G9 if commissioned.

I have tried for four years to gain an audience with a board or panel to evalute my request to no avail.

Guilty until proven innocent.

I earned and want the SS inscription on my headstone in the National Cemetery in Sturgis. Hopefully not posthumously! I don't want anyone's sympathy or empathy, but I am slowly dying of congestive heart failure.

I welcome any suggestions, assistance or comments.'

Then, he signed his name.

*Sergeant Woodrow Wilson Keeble was an American Indian WWII veteran from one of our reservations, who just recently, did receive the MOH posthumously. He died 10 or 20 years ago, but as the letter said, someone was persistent in their attempt to get this deserved honor for him.

I looked the letter writer up in the phone book and asked to speak to him. I was told by the lady that answered the phone that he was not able to come to the phone. I then asked her if the "SS" that he wanted meant "Submarine Service." She said no. I had thought that I could connect him with our local USSVI organization.

I was so certain that was what it meant, that I asked no further questions, and she offered no more information.

Can anyone hazard a guess what the "SS" that he wanted on his headstone stands for?

Since he mentions army regulations, I'm assuming that was the military service he was in. Or, was he in the "Secret Service?" Are members of the secret service buried in national cemeterys?

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2008-03-24 11:22 AM
TSpoon
Posted 2008-03-24 2:49 PM (#14245 - in reply to #14235)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: SS?

Perhaps "Silver Star". as he was Army.

T.Spoon, DBF
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software