Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Beeman Center at Sub Base Pearl Harbor was named for Arthur C Beeman, PhMC aboard the USS AMBERJACK (SS-219) on 4-Feb-43 - He was killed while the sub was engaged in a in gun action with a Japanese ammo ship..
Chinese Spy Sentenced
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

RCK
Posted 2008-03-24 2:29 PM (#14241)
Master and Commander

Subject: Chinese Spy Sentenced

A Chinese guy named Mak was arrested in 2005 for trying to give secret info on U.S. submarine propulsion equipment to the Chinese. The 67 year old man, who worked for the U.S. Navy, was arrested as he and his family boarded an airplane heading to Bejing. I don't understand why we don't treat spies like China does. A bullet to the head would seem to me to be an appropriate sentence.
Stoops
Posted 2008-03-24 2:39 PM (#14242 - in reply to #14241)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Chinese Spy Sentenced

I agree, with the provisio he has a quick and fair trial to insure that he is indeed a traitor. After that, he should be dispatched in aforementioned manner with all the efficiency and speed that was used on Tim McVeigh. Protestations by the ACLU or other bleeding hearts may be entertained after the fact.
Gil
Posted 2008-03-24 3:02 PM (#14247 - in reply to #14241)
Master and Commander

Around that time we also arrested another Chinese guy that was associated with my company for passing info to the Chnese.  He was arrested with much fanfare for having secret documents in his computer and he was later released with little or no fanfare.

The man and his family were devastated according to people that say they knew him.

Bob Melley
Posted 2008-03-25 8:25 AM (#14264 - in reply to #14241)
Old Salt

The Chinese gent that was sentenced was finally caught when family meeembers were trying to board a flight out of the US when they were caught with encrypted discs in their suitcases. There have been a few other cases of Chinese conducting espionage in the US......The most "famous" was the man who passed on the details of the US M-88 nuclear warhead designs to China. I think he got a bye...somehow.....Wen Ho Lee????? I'm with the bullet in the back of head team on this.......Treason should be punished with capital punishment whether the traitor in a US citizen, or not.....or member of the US military or govt agency......
China has it both ways, she's stealing US secrets and buying Russian weapons systems with the US dollars she gets by selling
her "products" to US customers....DON'T BUY ANYTHING MADE IN CHINA......Screw them.......The Boys in Beijing are planning how to knock off our grandkids as we speak......WHY HELP THEM TO DO SO?
TCM
Corabelle
Posted 2008-03-25 11:26 AM (#14270 - in reply to #14264)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Made in China

I don't want to spend my money buying anything made in China either, but someone mentioned recently that almost all merchandise available to us is made there.

My brother absolutely refused to buy anything made in Japan. He always remembered that "Japs" were trying to kill him during WWII. But, so many automobiles are made there, and since they couldn't get Hawaii, for instance, during that war, they simply "bought it" after the war. Last I heard, they own Rockefeller Center as well. ROCKEFELLER CENTER !

Lots of clothing in our stores is labeled, "Made in Taiwan."

Why isn't our industry competitive with these countries?

When can we buy Made in the USA again?

Cora
Mac McCoy
Posted 2008-03-26 6:49 AM (#14297 - in reply to #14241)
Senior Crew

Cora there is one simple reason that U S Industry can no longer compete with foreign manufactures. That is the cost of labor. We in the US keep demanding higher and higher wages which must be passed along to the consumer. It is cheaper to ship raw materials from the US to China, have the goods manufactured and shipped back to the US than it is to pay the wages that we demand for our labor. We pay around seven dollars an hour for an idiot to say "Ju want fries wid dat?" Or over $30.00 dollars an hour for someone to put lugnuts on a new automobile. We have no one to blame but ourselves for the amount of imports that come from China. We refuse to pay the cost of manufacturing goods in the United States.
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2008-03-26 11:07 PM (#14320 - in reply to #14270)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Made in China

Corabelle - 2008-03-25 9:26 AM

Lots of clothing in our stores is labeled, "Made in Taiwan."

Why isn't our industry competitive with these countries?

When can we buy Made in the USA again?

Cora

Actually, I think General Electric owns Rockafeller Center now.

As to "Made in America", can you say LABOR UNIONS? MINUMUM WAGE LAWS? EXCESSIVE REGULATION AND TAXATION? LACK OF WORK ETHIC? The list goes on...

I work for the USDA as a Machinery Tech in the Agricultural Marketing Service's Cotton program. The last set of numbers I saw, 85% of the cotton grown in the USA gets shipped overseas (China, Indonesia, Mexico, Brazil) to be spun into cloth and then turned into clothing.

If you owned a clothing company, and it cost 10 times as much to manufacture blue jeans or sport shirts in North Carolina as it does to do it in Mexico or Vietnam, and import tariffs are only 30%, where would you put your factory? Doesn't take a Harvard MBA to answer that one.

Boy Throttleman
Posted 2008-03-27 5:04 AM (#14324 - in reply to #14241)

Old Salt

American consumers worship at the altar of cheaper.
They would buy from the devil to save 10 cents

Edited by Boy Throttleman 2008-03-27 5:04 AM
C Stafford
Posted 2008-03-27 6:08 AM (#14325 - in reply to #14241)
Senior Crew

The company I work for, purchases a lot of parts for our assembled product from China because people in the U.S. want everything cheap. They don't realize that the quality is not as good and the products lifespan is less. A good American product may last twice as long, but costs 25% more.
Times may be a-changing because China's cost are going up 10-15% per year. We are bringing many products back inside because the quality is better and the price differential is becoming smaller.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software