Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: George Washington Endorsed the use of the first American submarine, David Bushnell's TURTLE, during the Revolution. Following the vessel's attack on a British man-of-war, he discussed the potential use of submarines in a letter to Thomas Jefferson.
Blue, are you involved?
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-03-25 6:00 AM (#14262)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: Blue, are you involved?

There might be a market for tin hats in Oz.

Australian Building His Own Stonehenge
Published: 3/25/08, 8:45 AM EDT

PERTH, Australia (AP) - Pagans and druids, mark your calendars and book your airplane tickets. An Australian entrepreneur hopes to open a Stonehenge replica by the Dec. 21 solstice, just in time for New Age revelers.

"I'm doing it because I can," said Ross Smith, the former owner of a successful microbrewery business who plans to build the monument on his property in Western Australia. "Nowhere in the world has a complete Stonehenge been built."

The $1.26 million project, to be called The Henge, will include 101 granite stones arranged in an inner and outer circle, a central altar, and will span 110 feet.

"I've studied plans of the original and that's what The Henge will look like," Smith said.

Unlike the original Stonehenge, guests will be encouraged to touch and play around the new monument, which will also have an interpretive center and a children's playground.

Smith called The Henge "a business venture." An entry fee will be charged and it will be hired out for weddings and other events.

He hopes his replica will attract 200,000 to 300,000 tourists per year to the Margaret River region, already renowned for fine wine, chocolate and cheese.

A small team of quarry workers in Western Australia has spent the past five months drilling and blasting the stones into shape, and Smith expects the attraction will be open by Dec. 21, the summer solstice in the southern hemisphere.

England's Stonehenge was created between 3,000 B.C. and 1,600 B.C. Today it is a major tourist attraction and has spiritual significance for neo-druids and New Age followers, thousands of whom gather there on June 21 each year to celebrate the northern hemisphere's summer solstice.

steamboat
Posted 2008-03-25 12:52 PM (#14273 - in reply to #14262)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Blue, are you involved?

"Nowhere in the world has a complete Stonehege been built"..... not so: there is one in Washington State on the banks overlooking the Columbia River.
Steamboat sends
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-03-25 5:02 PM (#14280 - in reply to #14273)

Master and Commander

Subject: There is?.....

...oh of course and that's why I chose to not get involved......bloody Australians, who do they think they are?

Blue *_*
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-03-25 9:06 PM (#14287 - in reply to #14273)

Master and Commander

Subject: Controversy here....

steamboat - 2008-03-26 2:52 AM

"Nowhere in the world has a complete Stonehege been built"..... not so: there is one in Washington State on the banks overlooking the Columbia River.
Steamboat sends

Steamboat....I have just researched this claim of yours and yes there is indeed a 'stonhenge' in Washington State, but, there is some discussion on the various websites that state it is either a Full Replica and other websites state it is a Partial Replica.

Does anyone actually have the correct answer?

I was going to post something on the news website here stating he is wrong as there is one in W.A - USA but I best have my facts correct. Maybe he mean't to state 'the only one in the Southern Hemisphere'?

Blue *_*
Dantini
Posted 2008-03-25 9:37 PM (#14288 - in reply to #14262)

Senior Crew

Blue, et. al.,

Check out their website of the full sized replica at: http://www.legendsofamerica.com/WA-Stonehenge.html

Dan

Edited by Dantini 2008-03-25 9:38 PM
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-03-26 1:11 AM (#14289 - in reply to #14288)

Master and Commander

Subject: Dantini....

cheers mate, that was one of the websites I went to that said it was a complete replica....this one, however, says 'partial'.

http://parks.wa.gov/parkpage.asp?selectedpark=Maryhill

look half way down the site, on the right hand side, under the heading...

Popular Park Features

A full-scale partial replica of Stonehenge is located one mile from the park.
The Maryhill Museum of Art and the Stonehenge construction are open to the public.
The Columbia River offers opportunities for water fun.

so, which is it? complete full scale or partial?

Blue *_*

iPOD
Posted 2008-03-26 1:15 AM (#14290 - in reply to #14262)

Master and Commander

Hey Ralph, Blue may well be straight out of the Stone Age being a Neanderthal and all but he don't got the brains to build nuthing.

As to involvement mine stops at the wine, cheese and chocolate section and they do got some mighty fine examples of them at Margaret River.

http://www.margaretriver.com/pages.asp?code=121

Edited by iPOD 2008-03-26 1:16 AM
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-03-26 5:34 AM (#14293 - in reply to #14262)
COMSUBBBS

POD, now I know why Blue didn't take us there while we were at his home. Scoundrel was keeping Margaret River to himself. That gator we have in the pond out back might just be big enough to try him on for size when he comes Stateside next time.
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-03-26 2:13 PM (#14309 - in reply to #14293)

Master and Commander

Subject: But Ralph....

....I have been keeping my rental property down there in Margaret River to sell toyou for when you bite the bullet and emmigrate.

Man, you will love it there......Kathy loved it also.

Blue *_*

PS. Starting price around AUD$380,000 for my property! ( having bought it for $140,000 9 years ago )
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-03-26 4:12 PM (#14311 - in reply to #14262)
COMSUBBBS

$380kAUD yeah, right. I thought we was Buds and here you want to break it off in me.
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-03-26 6:07 PM (#14313 - in reply to #14311)

Master and Commander

better buy now whilst it's cheap.....pretty soon it will be in the AUD$400k's......c'mon Ralph, the waters warm!

Blue *_*
Dantini
Posted 2008-03-26 8:42 PM (#14318 - in reply to #14289)

Senior Crew

Subject: RE: Dantini....

Blue,

The pictures on the website I gave you looks like they have a complete arrangement even though they say it is "almost" a complete replica. I have never been to either site, but from the pictures I have seen of the one in England, it looks like it is missing a lot of pieces (because of it's age) and is not as complete as the one here in Washington. The other web site you had did not elaborate on why it was not a complete replica. I would have to say that it looks pretty complete to me, for whatever weight that would carry. Maybe someone else who has been to both sites could fill in the gaps here.

Dan
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-03-27 6:48 AM (#14327 - in reply to #14262)
COMSUBBBS

Be my luck, we'd move there and then you'd move Stateside with Kathy and I'd be stuck with POD. :~))))))))))))))
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-03-27 4:58 PM (#14332 - in reply to #14327)

Master and Commander

Subject: Cruel and Unusual Punishment....

...that it would be!

But still, I doubt POD would be too happy either!

Blue *_*
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software