Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Nautilus has long been a popular name for a submarine. Some of the more famous of these are Robert Fulton's NAUTILUS (1800), Jules Verne's fictional Nautilus, and the NAUTILUS of Sir Hubert Wilkins in which he attempted a voyage to the North Pole under the ice (1931). There have also been three U.S. submarines of that name, including the world's first nuclear powered submarine built by the Electric Boat Division.
Funny thing happened to me last night
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-03-25 11:05 AM (#14268)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Funny thing happened to me last night

Where I lived before I moved to Maryland, I had a neighbor who had been severely disabled by a devistating stroke 30+ years ago. He was an optometrist and his inability to work at his prestroke level forced him into a very premature retirement. He lives a very independent life but used to have to call me when he needed help. I hung shelves, moved his computer, fished a single key out of his garage floor drain....and even dressed him in a tux once. Great guy...every disbled person should get to know Warren. After Solveig died, Warren and I started having dinner together every Monday night up at a place called THE HARD TIMES CAFE, a place known for its' chili...But on Monday nights it's HALF PRICE HAMBURGER NIGHT...They make bloody hamburgers the size of the diameter of a salad plate with a 3/4 lb. patty of Prime Angus beef....and if you want a cheeseburger, you have a choice of Monterey Jack, Aged Sharp Cheddar, Imported Swiss and American cheese....the burgers are served with a pickle spear and a heaping load of something called "handcut Ranch Fries."...all for less than $4....Warren is on a fixed income and is the self admitted, "Cheapest bastard on earth"....He knows every bargain night...every half price night...every newspaper coupon bargain...inh short, every really good meal deal going. So last night being 1/2 price burger night at HARD TIMES we all showed up at 6PM and had a typically great night, laughing and ribbing each other. The waitresses call us the naughty boys....and love us. I was wearing my old trusty, lucky REQUIN cap and when we left, the girls (Doris and BJ) helped Warren on with his jacket...and I put mine on and popped on my REQUIN ballcap. As I came out the door, this gentleman very close to my age, said." I see you rode the USS REQUIN."."Yessir, I'll plead guilty to that." "Did you know a fellow named DEX Armstrong?" "Yes, Why?" "Because I read his stories on the internet and read most of them to my fellow Marines at our monthly 1st Marine Division Assn. meetings. If you run across him, please relay our thanks." I smiled and shook his hand and told him, "I'm DEX Armstrong." He didn't believe me at first but grinned after I showed him my Driver's License..."Damn, I'm pleased to meet you...this is my wife Alice"..."Alice this is DEX Armstrong, the fellow I told you about." We shook hands again and BJ and I headed for the van...She turned to me and said..."That was weird." That has never occurred to me..EVER...I was totallyt dumbfounded, awed and amazed...I would love to know the odds on that happening...thyey have to be astronomical....but I'd be lying if I said that it didn't kindle a candle deep inside my soul. Sometimes when you least expect it, God just simply puts one of those Zippity-Doo-Dah Day bluebirds on your shoulder. DEX
chiefjoe
Posted 2008-03-25 11:18 AM (#14269 - in reply to #14268)
Senior Crew

Subject: RE: Funny thing happened to me last night

Dex:

You've done that for a lot of us. Your smooth pen with the ackward words (some we recognize because they are ours from days gone by, others we don't have any idea where your came by them), but when they transport us back to a time of good friends, good times and bad, we relive the moment and recognize, YES it really did happen.

THANKS for kindling the fond memories and emotions we often don't visit until a certain smell, a rolling motion, a friendly grasp, or an old sea story bring back.

Joe P
Jim M.
Posted 2008-03-25 12:17 PM (#14271 - in reply to #14268)

Great Sage of the Sea

dex armstrong - 2008-03-25 11:05 AM

... He didn't believe me at first but grinned after I showed him my Driver's License...

Didn't believe you..sheesh, the uncultured nature of him..heh heh. Seriously, Dex, you're famous..
steamboat
Posted 2008-03-25 12:44 PM (#14272 - in reply to #14268)
Master and Commander

Dex,
With your way with words and your phenominal recollection of those days of yore, you should be having a "Zippity-do-dah" bluebirds pooping on your sholder days every day. "Thanks for the memories."
Steamboat sends

Edited by steamboat 2008-03-25 12:47 PM
Gil
Posted 2008-03-25 2:44 PM (#14276 - in reply to #14268)
Master and Commander

Dex,

I had a stroke six years ago and was able to continue  working  after a six month recovery.  Knowing how bad it can be at times I'm sure Warren appreciates your efforts more than you could ever imagine.

You say every disabled guy should get to know Warren, let me say that every disabled guy should have a friend like you!!

Darrin
Posted 2008-03-25 5:32 PM (#14281 - in reply to #14268)

Great Sage of the Sea

Dex,
You would be suprised as to how many bbs' around the world use your material, I was on one a while ago from the navy and in their submariner block, part of the crew there believes that you are a GOD. Will send you an invite to that Navy forum, you have touched many a submariners life with your tapping on those keys in front of you. For some we are able to go and work on the Museum boats and relive part of our youths and for others who aren't able to get to them we read your stories of days past when times were easier and life was good to be young and invincible and of course to be on a submarine again and speaking for myself I start smiling and at times laugh and am thankful to have those memories written down because I have similiar ones..
Park Dallis
Posted 2008-03-25 7:26 PM (#14284 - in reply to #14268)

Old Salt

Congratulations, DEX,

There's a huge audience out there for your scribblings, this is just the tip of the iceberg.

Your work stirs the memories of the good times when we were young and invincible.  Who doesn't like that.

Thanks again.
Coyote
Posted 2008-03-25 8:01 PM (#14285 - in reply to #14268)

Master and Commander

Ex-SubRonSix folks particularly enjoy your stories. We who at times inhabited Bell's and walked under the RR tracks to get there or played tricks on the Onion just to play tricks understand completely. It also helps to have stood lookout on terrible nights and on beautiful days so you could understand the magnitude of the world in which you played.

Thanks for the stories.

Coyote
GaryKC
Posted 2008-03-25 8:29 PM (#14286 - in reply to #14268)

COMSUBBBS

Rumor has it that at Sub school the instructors make all students tape a poster sized photo above their bunks.

(DEX.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments DEX.jpg (9KB - 714 downloads)
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-03-26 5:37 AM (#14294 - in reply to #14268)
COMSUBBBS

GREAT SCOTT!!!!!!!!!! With a picture like that hanging above someone's bunk it would cause nightmares to the extreme.
Ed668
Posted 2008-03-26 6:37 AM (#14296 - in reply to #14268)
Senior Crew

Dex,

I wish that I had a dime for everytime that I have seen on a BBS or heard someone say, "Hey I read this really good / funny story about the Navy. Blah, blah, blah. I will pass it on to you."

Then I start reading the story and it turns out to be a Dex Armstrong story.

If bull$hit were gold you would be as rich as Bill Gate.

I have enjoyed all of your stories and look forward to any future writings.
Dirck
Posted 2008-03-26 9:44 AM (#14304 - in reply to #14268)

Dex,

I'm the guy you met outside Hard Times Monday evening...the Marine. I had to join Bottomgun BBS to get your email address. I sent you a longer email earlier today at your address. We were sitting in the booth right behind you at Hard Times and I heard you arguing with Warren about who was going to pick up the tab. If I remember right, you won. I didn't know you were Dex then, but like an earlier reply said, Warren is lucky to have a friend like you. Keep up the good work.

Semper Fi,
Dirck
Park Dallis
Posted 2008-03-26 1:51 PM (#14308 - in reply to #14304)

Old Salt

Welcome Dirck,

It's nice to meet a Marine with a refined taste in literature and an appreciation for DEX's writing.

Stick around for the fun.  We've got all kinds here including some FMF Corpsmen/Submarine Qualified Quacks you might like to get acquainted with.

Half my Radiomen A School class had just finished MC Boot and Infantry training.  I think 90% of them went straight to Nam from there.

Semper Fi.

Edited by Park Dallis 2008-03-26 1:54 PM
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-03-26 4:16 PM (#14312 - in reply to #14268)
COMSUBBBS

Welcome aboard, Dirck. Always good to see a new face show up.
Boy Throttleman
Posted 2008-03-27 4:54 AM (#14323 - in reply to #14268)

Old Salt

Dex, Face it you have become a shipmate to many an military man past present and future.
Thanks
Pig
Posted 2008-03-28 9:56 AM (#14351 - in reply to #14268)
Plankowner

Dex... not much I can add, but I know you know how much your writings mean to me. For over 12 years now one of your stories has been the "front page" of every one of our Archerfish Newsletters. They never cease to bring good comments. Thanks Shipmate!
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-03-28 10:23 AM (#14352 - in reply to #14286)

Great Sage of the Sea

GaryKC - 2008-03-25 8:29 PM

Rumor has it that at Sub school the instructors make all students tape a poster sized photo above their bunks.

Back in our day they just put saltpeter in the eggs. But I'd guess this works better.

BB
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software