Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The first Japanese prisoner of war captured by the Americans was Kazuo Sakamaki, an ensign in the Imperial Japanese Navy. He was captured on the morning of December 7, 1941. Sakamaki had set an explosive charge to destroy his disabled submarine, which had been trapped on Waimanalo Beach. When the explosives failed to go off, he swam to the bottom of the submarine to investigate the cause of the failure and became unconscious due to a lack of oxygen. Sakamaki was found by a Hawaiian soldier, David Akui, and was taken into military custody. When he awoke, he found himself in a hospital under American armed guard. After the war he returned to Japan and found work with the Toyota Motor Corporation before retiring in 1987. Sakamaki died on November 29, 1999, aged 81.
For Dex... and those who want to listen to a few..
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Darrin
Posted 2008-04-03 5:17 PM (#14593)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: For Dex... and those who want to listen to a few..

Not so recent songs that were put out to support our troops and those that hold a special meaning to me..
Please download these so you can listen to what I think are true tribute songs...

My favorite of these songs is a song by a group called "Lonestar" and the song is "I'm already there" make sure that you download the "military version" this song came out in 2003 and the first time that I heard it I had returned to Kuwait AFTER making the thunder run to Baghdad with the 3d Infantry Division (please turn up the volume before starting to listen to this).. Still brings a tear to my eye today, the only difference is today is that my son was 5 months old when I left to go to war and now at the tender age of 5 at the end of the song there is a young boy singing "I'm already there" and that sounds damn near like my son.. The list that I have finally put together is special to me because every song means something to me and some of these I have given the reason why..

1.) Lonestar... I'm already there
2.) Toby Keith....Courtesy of the Red White and Blue
3.) John Michael Montgomery.... Letters from home
4.) Toby Keith.... American Soldier
5.) Aaron Tippen... Stars and Stripes
6.) Kid Rock... Only GOD knows why.. (heard this when I was dead tired in Baghdad after the thunder run and trying to keep 2 Battalions worth of AH-64's flying)
7.) Toby Keith... If a man answers... (for those of us who came home and found that "life" had changed while we were gone)
8.) Toby Keith... I'm so happy that I can't stop cryin... (for those of us in the group that found that life was different when we came home..)
9.) Toby Keith... I love this bar.. (reasons need not be told I hope....)
10.) Mettalica... Hero of the day... (used while trying to pick up the pieces and continue with living the "Dream")
11.) Toby Keith.... Who's that man.... (used when finally putting the fallen pieces behind us and starting over..)

My new truck is a 2007 Dodge Ram and it is a "Thunder Road" and it is vanilla in colour... Most people that have stopped me and told me that it was a good lookin truck which I appreciate they don't really know the whole story behind it nor will they ever fully appreciate the reasons as to why I bought it... The "Thunder Road" is for me to remember the "Thunder Run" to Baghdad and the colour is to remind me of what happens to CARC paint when it is sun faded and worn out..

While my truck is a 4X4 it doesn't go off road much but I will always remember being far away from civilization for months at a time and looking at nothing but sand as far as the eye can see.. I was lucky when I bought that truck because that colour is not a standard colour for that year Dodge nor is it for this current year model.. As far as I know I have the only 1 in that colour and I intend to keep it and give to my son PJ when he turns 16 and then tell him the whole reason as to why I bought it. There are pictures from my Battalion showing us doing the "Euphrates 500" and I was almost on the top of my "game" for those months that I was in combat and looking back those months changed me as much if not more then my time on Submarines....

I later was on Top of my game a few months later at the National Training Center (NTC) Ft Irwin, Ca as the NCOIC (Non Commissioned Officer In Charge) of a task force of 6 AH-64D's.. We were the FIRST COMBAT unit to see them and all of their training was for nothing because we waxed their arses and they were embarrassed when we left.. I left 3d Infantry Division right after that to become an Instructor here at Ft Eustis and found out that my life or at least my wife's opinion about me had changed in my wifes eyes and that we were no longer capable of living together... And as they say "poo happens" and I have moved on in my life and I think that finally I may have found some peace in my life and a good woman to go with it..

Darrin
Frmr TM3(SS) 718,717,711,692
Frmr EO3(SS)USNR NMCB1, NMCB 15, NMCB 21, USS LY Spear (AS-36), NSSF NLON Det 505 (as a TM3(SS))
Staff Sergeant, USA.. 101st Airborne, 52nd Aviation Brigade (Korea), 3d Infantry Division, United States Army Aviation Logistics School(USAALS), Warrior Transition Unit (Ft Eustis, Va)
REMF

chiefjoe
Posted 2008-04-04 3:27 PM (#14624 - in reply to #14593)
Senior Crew

Subject: RE: For Dex... and those who want to listen to a few..

THANKS!!!!

Doesn't say enough, but nothing I can say could.

Joe P
Darrin
Posted 2008-04-05 3:36 AM (#14645 - in reply to #14593)

Great Sage of the Sea

Hey Chief Joe, have you ever been to Torsk in baltimore???? Manassas isn't too far out of my way and I can pick you up the next time I go up to work on the proud lady that she has become again..
nancy
Posted 2008-04-12 9:56 AM (#14913 - in reply to #14645)

Old Salt

Thanks, Darrin:

Downloaded "I'm Already There." So poignant. Too bad all of your recommended songs can't be accessed with just one click. Will once again check on Pandora free radio to see if its added my request category, "patriotic."

'Course my all-time favorite is Lee Greenwood's, "God Bless the USA" (I'm Proud to be an American)

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software