Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The United States submarine USS TRITON was fitted with twin reactors and was considered the longest submarine ever built until the advent of the OHIO class. The TRITON was designed for a surface displacement of 5,900 tons. Large submarines of other countries have been the Japanese I-400 (5,220 tons), and the French SURCOUF (2,880 tons).
Check this out, it's ugly
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Runner485
Posted 2008-04-06 6:48 AM (#14690)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Check this out, it's ugly

http://www.subsim.com/new_york_times_sub_article.htm

The end of the submarine world  as we know it is upon us! And you can rationalize this all you want with bulls**t about how great blah, blah , blah....but it all boils down to bulls**t!

I'm kinda hoping this is nothing but a late April Fools joke...

Roger Ramjet
Posted 2008-04-06 7:37 AM (#14694 - in reply to #14690)

Mess cooking

Subject: RE: Check this out, it's ugly

Joe,
With the usual aside of: "I wish we'd had women aboard when I served!" I guess we really couldn't have.... I did notice that the article mentioned not mixing women with seamen... (you know I can't spell) ... which seems like a really good idea.... and I did note that the prospective female Commanding Officer was given "two hours" of on board indoctrination preparative to assuming command! Imagine that! Two Full Hours!?!?! Do you supposed she qualified and got her dolphins too? Then they mentioned having a boat with an all female crew... I guess that's interesting... although certainly not as interesting as one with say a 50/50 mix of men and women... Also it seemed as though the only female members selected for submarine service were either Officers or Chiefs... Rag hats were left out as usual!

Thinking about the entire issue, I do remember being section leader one night aboard the USS Sailfish in Pearl Harbor, Hawaii. It happened to be Chinese New Year and we were having an on board party to celebrate... A crew member - who will remain nameless (although these many years later he has assured me that he is no longer married to this woman) - asked me if he could bring his wife aboard.... Sure why not? Well she (and half the duty section) ended up in the forward room and I truly thought that things were really (I mean !!REALLY!!) going to get out of hand! It was a wild and crazy night, that's for sure! And she was just ONE woman! And we weren't even at sea! Seamen was everywhere! ('Er, "were", everywhere... wrong tense - still can't spell...)

I miss you amigo.....
Hugs and kisses XOXOXO
Ramjet
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software