Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The first Japanese prisoner of war captured by the Americans was Kazuo Sakamaki, an ensign in the Imperial Japanese Navy. He was captured on the morning of December 7, 1941. Sakamaki had set an explosive charge to destroy his disabled submarine, which had been trapped on Waimanalo Beach. When the explosives failed to go off, he swam to the bottom of the submarine to investigate the cause of the failure and became unconscious due to a lack of oxygen. Sakamaki was found by a Hawaiian soldier, David Akui, and was taken into military custody. When he awoke, he found himself in a hospital under American armed guard. After the war he returned to Japan and found work with the Toyota Motor Corporation before retiring in 1987. Sakamaki died on November 29, 1999, aged 81.
Charlton Heston Dies
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

RCK
Posted 2008-04-06 10:09 AM (#14706)
Master and Commander

Subject: Charlton Heston Dies

Actor,social activist, NRA president Mr. Heston passed away Saturday at 84 years old. I recall his portrayal of Mose, and El Cid that I saw while in Hawaii. Rest I Peace.
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-04-06 10:33 AM (#14708 - in reply to #14706)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Charlton Heston Dies

Don't forget Grey Lady Down. He rode the Gurnard prior to filming the movie to learn hot act like a Sub CO. He learned from one of the best, 'Hammerin' Hank Chiles.

BB
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-04-06 10:53 AM (#14710 - in reply to #14706)

COMSUBBBS

He was a good man....If folks say that when you die, you have had a successful life, He was a good man and proved that you didn't have to tapdance in a swamp gratuitous filth to be popular and considered to be a great actor, That was part of his being universally accepted as a great actor. He parted the Red Sea, Won the Battle of New Orleans, Was a Mountaqin Man, Worn out Cowboy....He once said his favorite role was as the old cowpuncher in WILL PENNY....He was a NASCAR caliber chariot driver and one of the most dedicated American patriots ever created. His kind only come around once or twice in a lifetime/ DEX
Bob Melley
Posted 2008-04-07 1:36 PM (#14735 - in reply to #14706)
Old Salt

DEX:
NICE WORDS........I agree 100%, not too many folks like Mr. Heston show up, especially in Hollywood.
Think that role of Will Penny was one of his best......he was as they say, "a class act."
Tincanman
Jim M.
Posted 2008-04-09 6:02 AM (#14796 - in reply to #14706)

Great Sage of the Sea

I liked him as Matt Garth in Midway...
Roger Ramjet
Posted 2008-04-09 6:07 AM (#14798 - in reply to #14706)

Mess cooking

My special affinity for Mr Heston comes from his period as President of the NRA.. His popularity did much for that cause.. When one considers what currently comes from Hollywood, his stature reaches even greater heights..
Sorry, I try not to be serious very often..
Roger
Corabelle
Posted 2008-04-09 8:50 AM (#14807 - in reply to #14798)

COMSUBBBS

When he was a guest on The View, he confided to the girls that his chariot race was "fixed." I believe that he also once said that his face belonged to another century. Wonderful actor.

Cora
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software