Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The Grampus and Pike were commissioned in ceremonies at Mare Island the same day, Thursday, the 28th of May 1903. A young naval officer, Lieutenant Arthur MacArthur III, older brother of General Douglas MacArthur, assumed command for both vessels at the same time.
Mindless Ramblings of an Old Coot
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-04-07 11:47 AM (#14732)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Mindless Ramblings of an Old Coot

Remember back in the days of our youth when old codgers used to park their worthless butts in old canebottom chairs and lean back against the walls of country store porches, wittle sticks with a Case made jackknife, chew Red Man,or Browns Mule plug and spit out over the porch rauil. The bastards had a handle on everything in life. You ask them a question and they had an answer, whether they knew anything about the subject or not. They solved very complicated international problems with extremely simple solutions, mostly involving the application of nuclear ordinance...voodoo curses involving the applicaqtion of exotic deseases.....large scale natural disasters....or invasion and takeover by maneating alien cultures. What it lacked in intelligence and reasoning it made up in effectiveness and permant solution qualty. That brings us to modern warfare comparisons. Back in the old days when the Greatest Generation fought wars there was no such thing as "Limited Conflict" or "Limited War"....World War II was limited only by the diameter of the earth, There was no such things as "collateral damage","Enemy combatants", "Rendition" "Enhanced interrogaqtion technique",Waterboarding" "Acceptable levels of prisoner discomfort" and all the other horsecrap that has found its' way into modern warfare. Back then we FOUGHT WARS we didn't get mired in "surges" and mindless endless dick dances, that made billionaires out of contractors and lifelong handicapped citizens out of the troops who landed of the IED square in Baghdad Monopoly. From 1941 to 45 we dealt in widespread arial delivered high explosive collateral damage. We defined target areas by the geographical city limits. Nagasaki and Hiroshima were large scale ciollateral damage target areas as were Dresden, Schweinfert, Keil, Ragensberg, Colonge and Berlin. Back then we fully understood the linkage of wholesale pain and devistation and the concept of Unconsditional Surrender. It was simple you applied pain at a level that brought your enemy to his knees...you made him see the futility of his cause and he continued to bury his family day after day. The theory being, at some point society finds the consequences of continuation unacceptable and tosses in the towel and gives you all the troublemakers to ensure that no excuse is given to recrank the unacceptable level of pain. In four years, six milluion Americans fought two really savage Empires and one buffoon led pack of circus clowns and won total and absolute victories over both. Then we got into the Presidential hobby wars, where we tried to seperate good guys from bad guys, the good religious fanatics from the bad religious fanatics...the pepper from the flycrap. The only thing we have done is, prove we're not woth a damn at it. We have squandered worldwi9de support, international good will and shown the world What a real foriegn poluicy, Ringling Brother, Barnum and Baily three ring clown act looks like. We actually HAVE weaqpons of mass destruction....We are right now hauling the stuff in submersible FedEx wagons. For the detterrent forces to be effective they must do a little deterring every now and then. For example, if ten days after 9-11 we had created a nuclear excavated thity mile in diameter hole with a corresponding population reduction as the attention getter to accompany a request to round up the terrorists and place them in the terrorist repository equivalent to a corner GoodWill box. If there was reluctance, resistance we could haqve sprinkled a few more 200 mega ton valentines on aq few more population centers, illustrating what it means to be a nation that actuall HAS weapons of mass destruction....Say,"You ignoraqnt savages want to see mass destruction, here comes..." Or,"You want us to show you how your Allah stacks up against our God.", and accompany it with a shower of smoking sandals, singed camel guts, burt all to hell goats and ten or twelve million barbequed "70 Virgin seeking" SONS OF ALLAH. What good is having a buch of scarry stuff if to don't take it out and scare hell outof somebody every now and then, When your enemy flies four airliners into buildings...It's time to visit the sites that mean something to him, like the Kabba stone, the Temple on the Mount,all that fancy architecture in Kuwait and Dubai and downtown Mecca...and dump a few mass destruction illustrators down a few chimneys. We need to fight countries and get back to the principal of population devistation and urban center "now you see it---now you d on't" warfare. Do you think Teddy Roosevelt would have accepted 4000 American dead before he made the price of dead Americans pass the level of raghead oil price gouging? Do you think Patton would have recommended a troop surge, when the guys calling the terrorist shots and bleeding us to death with energy inflation had their worthlesws butts planted on solid gold custom made toilet seats and eating humming bird hearts off platinum plates? The first dead troop would have evoked a response that would have had everyone of those veiled sweeties peeing in her panties. There is an ancient Persian saying..."A dead sonuvabitch never detonates a roadside bomb" Mohammed....and "People who disappear in giant fireball never cause problems in governmental coalitions." In any event, if you go after Bin Laden and leave a trail of large holes loaded with radiation, you stand a helluvalot better chance of getting him than sending teams of Orkin men to look in all the holes. Now, pass me my Copenhagen and a coffee can to spit in...the next vacant porch rocker is mine. DEX
steamboat
Posted 2008-04-07 1:55 PM (#14737 - in reply to #14732)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Mindless Ramblings of an Old Coot

I agree with you that some ragheads need to burn in hell, but we don't need to get our hands dirty doing it. My point is this.... those folks over there understand one thing and one thing only: MIGHT MAKES RIGHT!!! We blew our best chance of restoring order in Iraq when we let them hang Sadam. They should have put him back in power and I guarantee you there would be order restored within a month. So what if he kills a few that don't agree with him? Mark my words, there willl be insurgents killing innocent citizens in Iraq 25 years from now unless we put some ruthless SOB in charge. There are some places on Earth that can never be governed by a Democracy, and the Middle East is one of them. The US has got to stop trying to export democracy to other countries at the point of a gun. It just don't work. Period.
Steamboat sends
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-04-07 2:39 PM (#14740 - in reply to #14732)

COMSUBBBS

You've got my vote...I wouldn't gladhand one more dime to these corrupt countries as long as one kid in West Virginia went hungry. We sent ten zillion bucks to Banowango Land to stop aids and the next thing you know we're somehow responsible for feeding all the sonuvabitches we saved. I had an idea about what to do with Saddam H......I wanted to haul him out to the Rose Bowl and at halftime at the Rose Bowl Game, charge the fans twenty bucks a brick to stone the bastard to death...and carry it live on pay-for-view TV...But Steamboat, your idea is one helluvalot better......Well sir, We brought democracy to Iraq and Palestine. What did we get? We got some s**te backstabber who travels to Thereran every other week to fanny kiss that looney running Iran....In Palestine we got Hamas.....What in the hell did we think we were going to get?....How about gratitude shown by jacking up the price at the pump to four bucks a gallon so they can buy surplus Warsaw Pact automatic small arms...sophisticated roadside bomb components....what they need to keep up thier "when we get them we're gonna blow your butt off" nuclear weapons development program. I cannot think of any war where one nations entire population bankrolled the purchase of sophisticated weaponry used to kill its' own troops. And put zillions into the coffers of the multi-national oil companies...Companies making an obscene killing while airlines go belly up...truckers can't afford to fill their rigs....and the little guy can't make ends meet. Why don't we blow them all up and make golf courses and theme parks out iof what's left...."Mama, Can I go to Allahland and ride the mechanical camel?" DEX
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-04-07 3:03 PM (#14741 - in reply to #14732)
COMSUBBBS

But you see now we have rules to go by. There are rules of engagment. The are rules for peace accords. There are rules for rules. In this day and age there is no way we could do a Hiroshima or Nagasaki or could a submarine CO steam thru a group of survivors from a ship he sunk without the entire world jumping on us. There is the warm and fuzzy folks amongst us that would get mad and stamp there feet and hold their breath until they turn blue.
It's a different world now. IMHO
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software