Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Leonardo da Vinci, the Florentine Renaissance inventor and artist, developed plans for an underwater warship but kept them secret. He was afraid that it would make war even more frightful than it already was.
For the military history buffs out there....
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Corabelle
Posted 2008-04-08 11:45 AM (#14772)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: For the military history buffs out there....

Found among my many papers -

State of Illinois, Town of Alton

I, J.C. Griggs, born in Boon Co. in the State of Mo., aged 28 years, and by occupation a Farmer, Do HEREBY ACKNOWLEDGE to have volunteered this 3rd day of April, 1865 to serve as a SOLDIER in the ARMY OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, for the period of Three Years unless sooner discharged by proper authority: Do also agree to accept such bounty, pay, rations and clothing as are, or may be, established by law for volunteers. And I, J.C. Griggs do solemnly swear, that I will bear true faith and allegiance to the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, and that I will serve them honestly and faithfullly against all their enemies or opposers whomsoever; and that I will observe and obey the orders of the President of the United States, and the orders of the officers appointed over me, according to the Rules and Articles of War.

Sworn and subscibed to, at Alton, Illinois this 3rd day of April 1865 Before John D. Morn.

I CERTIFY, ON HONOR, That I have Carefully examined the above named Volunteer, agreeably to the General Regulations of the Army, and that, in my opinion, he is free from all bodily defects and mental infirmity which would in any way disqualify him from performing the duties of a soldier. (I can't read the following name), Asst. Examining Surgeon.

I CERTIFY, ON HONOR, That I have minutely inspected the Volunteer, J.C. Griggs previous to his enlistment and that he was entirely sober when enlisted; That, to the best of my judgement and belief, he is of lawful age; and that, in accepting him as duly qualified to do the duties of an able-bodied soldier, I have strictly observed the Regulations which govern the recruiting service.

This soldier has Blue eyes, Dark hair, Fair complexion, is 5 feet 9 inches high.

John D. Morn

"entirely sober"?

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2008-04-09 8:36 AM
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-04-08 12:30 PM (#14775 - in reply to #14772)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: For the military history buffs out there....

Was this Gentleman a friend of yours?
Flapper
Posted 2008-04-08 12:37 PM (#14776 - in reply to #14772)

Master and Commander

Corabelle - 2008-04-08 12:45 PM {SNIP}
 I CERTIFY, ON HONOR, That I have Carefully examined the above named Volunteer, agreeably to the General Regulations of the Army, and that, in my opinion, he is free from all bodily defects and mental infirmity which would in any way disqualify him from performing the duties of a soldier. (I can't read the following name), Asst. Examining Surgeon. {SNIP}

Of course you can't read the doctor's writing! This just serves to prove that physician handwriting has been indecipherable for at least 150 years, and probably much longer. I think it's part of the Hippocratic Oath!
Corabelle
Posted 2008-04-08 12:50 PM (#14777 - in reply to #14775)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: No, Ralph - he died before I was born, but...

...I think he might have been a friend if I'd met him. He was my grandfather. My mother's father.

Cora
Lee Davenport
Posted 2008-04-08 3:33 PM (#14780 - in reply to #14772)
Crew

Cora, I obtained a copy of my Maternal Great Grandfather's enlistment papers in Company D of the 32nd Louisiana Volunteers CSA. They are very similiar to your Yankee papers.. Wonder who copied from who. LOL. He was badly wounded at the battle of Sabine Crossroads, and invalided out. He returned home and apparently died a short time later as a result of his wound(s).. Actually, I had two Great Grandfathers in the CSA, and one about 80+ years earlier in what is now known as the Revolutionary War...Also, his son fought in the war of 1812...
Mac McCoy
Posted 2008-04-09 8:18 AM (#14802 - in reply to #14772)
Senior Crew

My GreatGrandfather was in the Confederate Army. My GrandMother had the buttons from his uniform, His belt buckle and his enlistment and discharge papers. All of those items were in like new condition. Unfortunately they disappeared when she passed away. I suspect that one of my Uncles took the items and sold them. My Greatgrandfather joined at the age of 16 and lost one of his legs when he was taken prisoner by the D*&%$d Yankees. Seems that his unit was attempting to take him back (he was their drummer) and accidently shot him in the foot. Friendly Fire my A**. Medical care being what it was back then his leg was removed just below the knee when his foot became badly infected.
whalen
Posted 2008-04-09 9:59 AM (#14812 - in reply to #14772)

Great Sage of the Sea

Corabelle - 2008-04-08 12:45 PM ...volunteered this 3rd day of April, 1865 to serve as a SOLDIER in the ARMY OF THE UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, for the period of Three Years unless sooner discharged by proper authority:...

So, did he serve three years, or was he discharged six days later when Lee surrendered to Grant on 9 April 1965?  Did he keep the bounty?

Corabelle
Posted 2008-04-09 3:13 PM (#14821 - in reply to #14812)

COMSUBBBS

Well, I don't know what happened. I wrote an answer to your question that equaled in length a Dex story, but when I went to post it, your post, with my name on it came up again.

Not gonna write that much again.

You're a smart man, Bill. I wondered how long it would take before someone noticed the "late date" of his enlistment.

John Colby Griggs was a Galvanized Yankee. He was a Confederate Cavalyman who was wounded in September of 1864, and subsequently captured. While he was recupeating from his wound(s), a Union recruitor came through the hospital and enlisted him along with others. (There were Galvanized Rebels, also during that war.)

He ended his service by participating in Sawyers' Expedition, attempting to build a road from Niobrara, Nebraska to old Ft. Reno in what is now, Wyoming, fighting many Indians along the way. The story of Sawyers' Expedition is told in the book, "Galvanized Yankees," written by Dee Brown, who also wrote "Bury My Heart at Wounded Knee."

Since I don't know what the "bounty" was, I don't know whether he kept it or not. He died many years before I was born.

Give that man the prize!

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2008-04-09 3:28 PM
SOB490
Posted 2008-04-10 6:48 AM (#14840 - in reply to #14812)

Old Salt

Bounty? Wasn't there a book about that --- maybe a mutiny or something?

BTW, hotshot ... "when Lee surrendered to Grant on 9 April 1965?" Talk about the "hundred year war!"

Edited by SOB490 2008-04-10 6:51 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software