Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "I propose to you a new arm of war, as formidable as it is economical. Submarine navigation, which has been sometimes attempted, but as all know without results, owing to want of suitable opportunities, is now a problematical thing no more." - Brutus de Villeroi in a letter to President Lincoln, 1862
Current Technology Question - NSR
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

crystal
Posted 2008-04-09 7:56 AM (#14799)

Master and Commander

Subject: Current Technology Question - NSR

Technology Question:  I bought a bedside alarm clock at the exchange the other day (forgot the brand) - but - on the box it advertised "just plug in and it automatically sets the right time by itself" (or words to that effect).  I plugged the thing in and sure enough the damn thing set the correct time.  I unplugged it, moved it upstairs to the bedroom, plugged it back in and once again the right time!  How the **+=&&*^^ does this thing do it?  (I'm only a three wire Chief Electrician and not privy to these scientific advances)...

Stoops
Posted 2008-04-09 8:04 AM (#14800 - in reply to #14799)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Current Technology Question - NSR

Just a guess on my part, since I am also a three wire electrician (and not a chief), but I'd suspect it is getting the time signal from a cellular phone tower in the area or maybe a tv broadcast signal.

Edited by Stoops 2008-04-09 8:06 AM
MAD DOG
Posted 2008-04-09 8:06 AM (#14801 - in reply to #14799)

Master and Commander

crystal - 2008-04-09 7:56 AM

Technology Question:  I bought a bedside alarm clock at the exchange the other day (forgot the brand) - but - on the box it advertised "just plug in and it automatically sets the right time by itself" (or words to that effect).  I plugged the thing in and sure enough the damn thing set the correct time.  I unplugged it, moved it upstairs to the bedroom, plugged it back in and once again the right time!  How the **+=&&*^^ does this thing do it?  (I'm only a three wire Chief Electrician and not privy to these scientific advances)...

Crystal,I think it's something akin to what we used to call PFM.
(Pure F...... Magic)
RCK
Posted 2008-04-09 8:36 AM (#14804 - in reply to #14801)
Master and Commander

My wrist watch does the same thing. Even compensates for daylight saving time. It recieves a single from the atomic clock in the Rocky Mountains that keeps it up to the right time. It will lose 1 second every 23 million years or something like that.
woody99
Posted 2008-04-09 11:07 AM (#14813 - in reply to #14799)

Mess cooking

I have an Indoor-Outdoor Thermometer that does the same thing. It gets it's time by radio freq. from one of many clocks slaved to very accurate Atomic clocks. Check out the following article...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_clock
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2008-04-09 9:50 PM (#14827 - in reply to #14804)

Great Sage of the Sea

RCK - 2008-04-09 6:36 AM

My wrist watch does the same thing. Even compensates for daylight saving time. It recieves a single from the atomic clock in the Rocky Mountains that keeps it up to the right time. It will lose 1 second every 23 million years or something like that.

If memory serves, the atomic clock is at the US Naval Observatory, and it drives two or three radio signals across the country. We have 8 of those self-setting clocks at the USDA Cotton Program facility where I work. The ones in the office and on the patio work great, the ones in the grading lab don't get a good signal - probably all the metal walls and environmental control piping.

SOB490
Posted 2008-04-10 6:29 AM (#14836 - in reply to #14799)

Old Salt

Don't get tangled up with cell towers and NBS/WWV, guys - stop and think a second - the GPS system transmits accurate time - since about 1999, these automatic timesetting features generally have the time side of a GPS chip in them.

They add maybe $2.50 or so to the total cost at the consumer product retail level. A lot of master clocks in public safety command systems and schools are now using GPS instead of WWV for auto-timesetting. And the neat thing is that they need see only one satellite in order to pick off time - and are a lot cheaper than WWV-based auto-timeset systems.

Edited by SOB490 2008-04-10 6:41 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software