Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Coronation ceremonies of Emperor Alexander II of Russia in 1855 were enlivened by a submarine concert. Wilhelm Bauer, a Bavarian inventor, took three musicians under the waters of Kronstadt Harbor in a submarine he had built, where they played appropriate music during the coronation. The music was distinctly heard on the surface.
Squids Win... Squids Win... Squids Win... (NSR)
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Don Gentry
Posted 2008-04-10 10:09 AM (#14852)

Admin

Subject: Squids Win... Squids Win... Squids Win... (NSR)

My hockey team, the Squids, won our division championship last night.  It was an extremely intense game and, in regulation, ended in a 0-0 tie.  In overtime, we won with a goal by a good friend of mine that hadn't had a goal all season but picked the best time to get his first!

For those of you that don't know, I had quintuple bypass surgery in July of 2003 and have no physical limitations (I'm very fortunate).  I've been playing hockey for two years now and I'm enjoying excellent health because of it.  For those of you that have had heart surgery, get active!  You're boat sailors dammit and there's nothing you can't do.  I'm 53 and the oldest on my team but I'm the 3rd highest scorer on the team this season too - we can get it done shipmates!!

Team sports is probably the closest you can get to the fraternal relationships we had on the boats - no kidding - so go for it!

GO SQUIDS!!

Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-04-10 10:39 AM (#14853 - in reply to #14852)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Squids Win... Squids Win... Squids Win... (NSR)

Big Congrats, Don, to you and your team. Good on ya, Mate.
Jim M.
Posted 2008-04-10 11:55 AM (#14857 - in reply to #14852)

Great Sage of the Sea

Don Gentry - 2008-04-10 10:09 AM

GO SQUIDS!!

Let's Go Pens... Let's Go Pens... Let's Go Pens... Let's Go Pens...
Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-04-10 12:01 PM (#14859 - in reply to #14852)

Master and Commander

Congratulations Don and to your teammates also.
Does that mean you're available if the Red Wings need you?
I'm still red tagged so it's up to you to come back home and bring us another Cup.
Corabelle
Posted 2008-04-10 12:11 PM (#14861 - in reply to #14852)

COMSUBBBS

You've always been a winner in my book, whether it's on a sub, on skates or a big-ole Harley.

Did I make any points here?

Cora
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-04-11 12:47 PM (#14891 - in reply to #14852)

COMSUBBBS

Don, I grew up in an area where we never heard if ice hockey (south of the Kentucky border it was called "ice hockey" to distinguish it from girls field hockey). In the FOX News of the World in the movies, they would show ice hockey every now and then, Olympics, Stanley Cup that sort of thing. To us it was like cricket, hurling, polo, curling, tossing the caber, zebra hunting, baby seal clubbing, camel racing, soccer, rugby, Aussie football and trap shooting...all of wchich we had (A) never seen,(B) had no idea how it was played, scored or why anyone would want to waste time when there was baseball, football, basketball and shooting each other in the butt with BB guns. However....I've moved to Maryland and everyone plays ice hockey...They start kids here so damn early that they trip over their own umbilical cords. I have come to not only appreciate the skill it takes but to go up to the local hockey rink (Southern Maryland SABERS), eat a foot long fully loaded chili dog (weight ten pounds) and watch twelve year olds give eat other fully expected bloody noses, scrapes, scratches...bumps, thumps and bust you on your rumps. I like it...not as much as an orthopedic surgeon must love it, but enough to keep heading back. So Don...I now have an appreciation I would not have had a year ago...and can honestly congratulaqte you for what you and your SQUIDS have accomplished......Having watched some of the heated "on the ice" confrontational debates, I'm glad they are not allowed to haul large caliber handguns...fragmentation ordinance....or lasser guided Preparation H mini-missiles. Congratulations AGAIN...DEEX
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software