Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: A typical modern submarine may require as many as 2,000 working drawings for the more than 7,000,000 items used in its construction. Blueprints from these drawings if placed end to end would make a strip 250 miles long.
Loved this one
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-04-12 2:55 PM (#14925)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Loved this one

"War is an ugly thing,but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse, A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight; nothing that he cares about more than his own personal safety; is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so, by the exertions of better men than himself."
JrKrup, Skimmer
Posted 2008-04-12 5:00 PM (#14927 - in reply to #14925)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Loved this one

"Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men." George S. Patton

"Once we roared like lions for liberty; now we bleat like sheep for security." Norman Vincent Peale
crystal
Posted 2008-04-12 5:44 PM (#14928 - in reply to #14925)

Master and Commander

But we in it shall be remember'd;
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers;
For he to-day that sheds his blood with me
Shall be my brother
; be he ne'er so vile

BlackBeard
Posted 2008-04-12 7:06 PM (#14929 - in reply to #14925)

Great Sage of the Sea

dex armstrong - 2008-04-12 2:55 PM

"War is an ugly thing,but not the ugliest of things; the decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling which thinks that nothing is worth war is much worse, A man who has nothing for which he is willing to fight; nothing that he cares about more than his own personal safety; is a miserable creature who has no chance of being free, unless made and kept so, by the exertions of better men than himself."

John Stewart Mill. I had it posted next to my desk working for NAVAIR for over 25 years. Great statement.

BB
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-04-13 6:41 AM (#14940 - in reply to #14925)

COMSUBBBS

BB, Thanks ever so much. I copied the quote from a notecard tacked to a bulletin board in the amputee rehabilitation ward at Walter Reed at some point during the Southeast Asian War in the late sixties. It had no attribution...no author given. Thanks to you, I now have the author. That has always been important to me. A man, good or bad should be judged on his actual statements and the composition of his writing. I have carried that statement in my wallet for years, having renewed it as the paper it was written on deteriorated and became unreadable...I must have done that ten or twelve times over the years. Ten minutes ago, I took it out, unfolded it and wrote JOHN STUART MILL....It now contains, THANKS TO YOU...the origin of its' birth. I put the refolded paper back in my wallet and noticed the wallet is now quite a bit heavier. Seriously, it feels good to know who originally penned it. Thanks again...DEX
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-04-13 6:48 AM (#14941 - in reply to #14925)

COMSUBBBS

Chief Clear, HENRY IV...Speech before Battle of Agincourt (sp?)...reread by Winston Churchill during Invasion of Europe June 6th 1944....My absolute all time favorite. "Funny thing about we few...We keep getting fewer." Richard Burton...film THE LONGEST DAY. As a kid I hated reading Shakespeare, like the Bible, the antiquated phrases didn't make sense to me. That changed when I read both as an adult...Love the Bard. DEX
Flapper
Posted 2008-04-14 5:59 AM (#14969 - in reply to #14941)

Master and Commander

dex armstrong - 2008-04-13 7:48
{SNIP}
... As a kid I hated reading Shakespeare, like the Bible, the antiquated phrases didn't make sense to me. That changed when I read both as an adult...Love the Bard. DEX

I guess it takes a bard to know a bard, Dex. If the Silent Service era of middle of the 20th century has a bard, you are he!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software