Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS Schley / AA-1 / T-1 (SF-1) (SS-52) originally named for Winfield Scott Schley, Rear Admiral, United States Navy, renamed AA-1 on 23 August 1917 before being Launched on 25 July 1918; Commissioned, USS AA-1, 30 January 1920; Designated (SF-1), 20 July 1920; Renamed USS T-1 (SF-1), 20 September 1920
USS PIPER SS-409
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

PaulR
Posted 2008-04-13 9:14 AM (#14949)

Master and Commander

Subject: USS PIPER SS-409

Was anyone serving aboard PIPER in the early 1960's that has info regarding a "LT HUSTON" that was lost overboard in Sept of 1964?

I'm trying to get a full name and possible background info (hometown of record) to get him entered on the ETERNAL PATROL PAGE

Please CONTACT ME
PaulR
Posted 2008-04-16 5:33 AM (#15026 - in reply to #14949)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: USS PIPER SS-409 - followup

Funny how things work out sometimes, and how sometimes, you get much more than you bargain for.

In my quest to document the loss of the 1st LT Huston aboard USS PIPER in 1964, I've been able to:

Exchange emails with the "ET" radar operator on watch at that time.
The "ET" (George Bain) recalls that the event occurred on the COB's birthday and that COB was praying for the "Best" birthday present he could receive, by recovering the LT Huston. The COB was Joe Negri. My search reveals 15 Sept as Negri's birthday and the exact date that I had calculated the loss to have occurred. Lucky guess on my part.

Exchange emails with the ENG officer (LT Cal Sutliff) who had recently transferred, but he recalled LT Huston's name to be "William".

Read in a document that the LT Huston was a graduate of a "Maritime Academy" where he was a standout football player. Our CO on Sea Robin at that time was a graduate of MAINE MARITIME AVADEMY (MMA), so I contacted them with the info I had as luck would have it, "William A. Huston", of Bangor ME class of 1961 was co captain of their football team. They emailed me a scanned page from his yearbook, including his photo.

Do an on-line search for HUSTON in Bangor, ME and finding two listings, both at the same address. I ended up talking to a nice woman, who told me that her husband is the son of the LT. The son was a toddler at the time of his father's loss and has no memory of him. The widow, remarried and still lives in the area, and was returning from Florida that evening.

MMA is interested in honoring the LT as well, as they had no idea of the circumstances of his loss.

My work is near complete.

LT WILLIAM A. HUSTON, of Bangor ME. "Rest Your Oar"

Edited by PaulR 2008-04-16 5:35 AM
Runner485
Posted 2008-04-16 5:39 AM (#15027 - in reply to #15026)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: USS PIPER SS-409 - followup

Great detective work Paul. Lt. Huston wouldda signed your qual card for the digging you've done....

Sailor, Rest your oar
Flapper
Posted 2008-04-16 6:37 AM (#15029 - in reply to #15026)

Master and Commander

Subject: Wow!

Just WOW!

Nice work, and a to you!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software