Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Submariners are a bunch of intelligent misfits that somehow seem to get along, understand each other and work well together.” -- Red Hanley who overheard a skimmer officer say this while talking to a non-navy type
Fleetboat pin
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-04-14 10:59 AM (#14974)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Fleetboat pin

Last night, I ate at an officers club at a nearby Naval Air Station. A retired couple (four striper and wife) had invited the widow of a retired admiral to join them for dinner. The lady they invited was 84 and a real peach of a gal....bright, spunky and a sweetheart in every respect. Little Mrs. Bubbly was right behind me ibn the buffet serving line. The line was slow and we had a wonderful conversation. When she turned to face me, I noticed a four inch long sterling silver rendition of a Feet Submarine,with a five inch deck gun aft. Does anyone still make those fool pins? Where do you write to get one?...She said that some outfit in Newport RI still makes them. DEX
Bear
Posted 2008-04-14 12:04 PM (#14975 - in reply to #14974)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Fleetboat pin

Dex  did it look like the Combat pin I have 4 or five of those and will gladly send you one. I believe the two major places around Groton (1 in RI and Best Emblem in NY have both closed up shop.) I used to get special buckles fronm the RI place but I think they sold out (or quit) because of a company called Oceana (I think) I have tried to contact Best Emblem for about 6 months to no avail, if anyone know the story let me know please I need a product they had an exclusive on. I will however look further for you. I need to keep 2 of the Combat pins but gladly share the other two or three if I can find them. Just IM me

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-04-14 12:34 PM (#14983 - in reply to #14974)

COMSUBBBS

No this thing was a little longer than a folded dollar bill and was shiny sterling....I've never seen anything like it. Someone said that they had seen them in the late 1940's made up as tie-clips that were sold in the uniform shops run by ships service. They appear to be solid and heavier than standard issue insignia. The dear lady had it pinned on her dress over a more than ample left breast....or was smuggling picnic hams. In other words, it was located in close proximity to highly off limits appendages and could not be closely inspected, touched or otherwise monkeyed with...Thanks, DEX
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-04-14 12:46 PM (#14984 - in reply to #14974)

COMSUBBBS

With reference to my previous post and the wonderful e-mail I got from a very nice lady who fully understands the risk and perils encounted by the Barnacle Bills of long, long ago. My Dear, there are bluejackets who have spent 30-40 years chained to the suction side of a heavy cruiser bilge pump in a remote area of the lower flats for simply gazing upon the projecting bust configuration of a three stripers bride...inappropriate eyeballing of pronounced anatomical features can be (according to the UCMJ) punishable by flogging, dismemberment or burning at the screwguards. Minor offenses, such as winking at a flag rank officers 19yr old grandaughter....can be taken care of by the forfiture of one or both eyeballs or having three links of anchor chain hung from ones nose. I hope this both answers your question and clarifies naval judicial policy. DEX
Ric
Posted 2008-04-14 2:43 PM (#14987 - in reply to #14984)

Plankowner

Subject: ...flag rank officers 19yr old daughters....

Dex, I use to go hiking with the Hawaiian Trail & Mountain Club on Sunday mornings when stationed at Pearl. One day this rather nice looking young lady torn her blouse on some shrubbery we were trying to get around on a very narrow trail on the side of a cliff. Being the gentleman I am, I took my tee shirt off and offered it to her since hers was torn in a rather "delicate" area. We were at the back of the group so I turned my back and she did the switch. I wore what was left of the blouse to keep the sun off my shoulders.

At the end of the hike she offered to run me back to the base. As we approached the gate I began to fumble for my wallet to get my ID card and Liberty card out to show the Marines. She said not to bother and we drove right through the gate with the Marines stiff as boards and snapping crisp salutes to us. I was a little flabbergasted to say the least as she told me her dad was some destroyer squadron commodore. I met up with her the next weekend and got my shirt back all washed and PRESSED!!!

I asked her out later and she though about it a moment and said we'd better not as her dad had a thing against sub sailors dating his daughter. Too bad she was a beautiful young lady.

crystal
Posted 2008-04-14 4:12 PM (#14989 - in reply to #14974)

Master and Commander

Ahh jeez Ric, I thought we had a real story going here! - LOL
Don Gentry
Posted 2008-04-14 4:16 PM (#14990 - in reply to #14989)

Admin

He *did* tell a great story John... now we know when he started wearing blouses!!   (the grass skirt came much later....)

Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-04-14 4:57 PM (#14991 - in reply to #14974)
COMSUBBBS

Gee Ric, looks like you stepped right up and into that one, Dude.
Ric
Posted 2008-04-14 5:35 PM (#14992 - in reply to #14990)

Plankowner

....so, when did you start wearing womens wigs?.... LOL

You bastards can't get to me... to me.... to me........ to me........

What can I say John,... was my only encounter with a commodore's daughter..... we did see each other hiking until I went back to sea. I think she went to the mainland to school when I was out. Never did see her again.

snakeyez
Posted 2008-04-14 7:22 PM (#14993 - in reply to #14974)

Senior Crew

So, Ric, when is your novel coming out? I can already tell my life has been bland compared to yours! :P

Dex, could that pin possibly have been a submarine launch pin?
crystal
Posted 2008-04-15 12:32 AM (#14995 - in reply to #14974)

Master and Commander

Dex if it looked like this:

EB boat

You're supposed to say "Jeez John is there anything you don't have?", to which I would answer "not that I know of" - LOL.  check out the deck gun on the bow and the tiny EB on the sail (from the company that gave them out waaaaaay back).  Let me know if this is the one - I have a box just big enough to mail it.  BTW: it's originally a tie clip (plated silver - just rub it in mercury - did I say that?).  Anyhow, it's showing it's years (like you!)... LOL

Runner485
Posted 2008-04-15 5:12 AM (#14997 - in reply to #14990)

COMSUBBBS

Don Gentry - 2008-04-14 4:16 PM

He *did* tell a great story John... now we know when he started wearing blouses!! (the grass skirt came much later....)

Along with the coconut shell bra.....he made a fine wahine!!!
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-04-15 7:00 AM (#14998 - in reply to #14974)

COMSUBBBS

THAT'S IT....Now I feel better...First, I didn't dream the thing up or visualize it smoking Columbian vegetation or under a root doctors trance....THAT's it...Thanks John. And now that I know what it is...where it came from, and who has it...I know it is exactly where it belongs. ZAT's IT. Thanks DEX
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software