Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: United States Submarines destroyed a total of 1,314 Japanese ships during World War II, including one battleship, eight aircraft carriers, fifteen cruisers, forty-two destroyers, and twenty-three submarines. Against this score, fifty-two U.S. Submarines were lost.
Obit Messenger results for 04/18/08
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Pig
Posted 2008-04-18 10:43 AM (#15104)
Plankowner

Subject: Obit Messenger results for 04/18/08

PALMER, Jr., Howard Wayne, 57, East Fallowfield, died April 13, 2008, in Los Angeles. Born September 22, 1951, in Madison, S.D., he was a son of Marilyn (Holvick) Palmer, Annapolis, Md., and the late Howard Palmer Sr. and stepson of Thaddeus Jackson, Annapolis. He grew up in Kansas, Georgia, Texas, Germany and France. He spent summers in Rutland and graduated from Rutland (S.D.) High School. In 1970, he enlisted in the Navy and served in the submarine service until 1980. He worked for Gulf Interstate Energy, Exton, for eight years and then was self-employed in the computer field from 1988 until most recently when he was working as a commercial property manager in Los Angeles. He was the husband of Laura (Birgen) Palmer, East Fallowfield. They were married February 20, 1976, in Madison. He also is survived by two brothers, Jeffry Jackson, in Connecticut, and Douglas Jackson, Mount Airy, Md.; and five sisters: Barbra Crist, Severna Park, Md.; Jody O'Dell, Hiawasee, Va.; Rebecca Hancock, Gambrills, Md.; Thaeda Franz, Reading; and Tena Jackson-Quesada, in Costa Rica. He was predeceased by a sister. Services will be Saturday at 11 a.m. in Lake Madison Lutheran Church, with the Rev. Gary Lissy officiating. Burial will be in the church cemetery. There will be a prayer service tonight at 7 in Weiland Funeral Chapel, which is in charge of arrangements. To send a message of sympathy, visit www weilandfuneralchapel.com.

WITTE John Paul, 73, the son of the late Paul and Marian Witte, died on April 15, 2008. He was a retired electrician and member of Southland Christian Church. He served in the U.S. Navy aboard the submarine USS Cutlass (SS-478). He recently received the Holland Award. Also preceded in death by a sister, Claralee Arnold; he leaves to cherish his memory, his beloved wife, Frances Dee; daughters, Linda Crawford (Tobin) of Lancaster, and Debra Cruver (Robert) of Zarephath, NJ; and grandchildren, Hannah and Luke Cruver, and Evan Nicole and Emma Crawford; a brother-in-law, Clyde Arnold, and nephews, Steve, David, and Rick Arnold. Services will be on Sat at 10am at W.R. Milward-Broadway with burial at The Lexington Cemetery. Visitation will be Fri from 5-8pm. Memorials suggested to the American Diabetes Foundation. www.milwardfuneral.com

sister5lp
Posted 2008-06-03 7:27 PM (#16441 - in reply to #15104)

Mess cooking

Subject: RE: Obit Messenger results for 04/18/08

I am Howard's wife (of 32 years). I was very pleased and touched when I found this posting. Howard served a number of years on the Henry L Stimson, tendered out of Rota Spain. He was on the blue crew for this "boomer". I came on for only the last few patrols, however remember the support of the other wives and families. I will share this; I knew how proud Howard was of his submarine service, so I made sure he had a set of dolphins on his chest when he was buried. I have to thank the folks at a submarine base in GA who were good enough to mail me a set, as well as my oldest nephew who took it on himself (he is navy reserve) to order a set. This means that I was able to send Howard "off" with a set where they belonged and I will have a set to display along with the flag. Thank you again for making sure that Howard wil not soon be forgotten for his contributions.

Edited by sister5lp 2008-08-12 11:29 AM
Darrin
Posted 2008-06-03 7:56 PM (#16442 - in reply to #15104)

Great Sage of the Sea

Ma'am I am sorry for the loss of your husband, if you can please stay on this bbs, you will find that these folks here are very special and they do care about everyone that has worn dolphins and their spouses. They have huge shoulders for you to cry on and there may be one of us in your area that can come and check on you and see how you are doing and see if you need anything.

Again please accept my condolences for the loss of your husband, Have a safe voyage where every you go and if you need anything please let us know.

Darrin
Frmr TM3(SS) USS Honolulu (SSN 718)
Staff Sergeant, USA
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-06-04 5:27 AM (#16444 - in reply to #15104)
COMSUBBBS

Yes Laura, we are family. Condolences to you and your home from me and mine. Life sure is way to short for many of us.
sister5lp
Posted 2008-06-04 6:04 PM (#16483 - in reply to #16444)

Mess cooking

Great to see where you are located, Ralph. When we were first married we lived there, as the off crew office was out of the Charleston shipyard.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-06-04 7:39 PM (#16487 - in reply to #15104)
COMSUBBBS

You wouldn't recognize the place from how it has grown so.
nancy
Posted 2008-06-05 4:53 PM (#16500 - in reply to #16483)

Old Salt

"Sister" -- A salute to you for such a poignant and thankful report about your husband.

As a late submariner's sister, I welcome you to the forum. I've always felt rather honored to be a part of this group. I, too, have a Dolphin pin/badge. Means lots to me.

Am sure your husband, under THE ADMIRAL'S command, is having fair winds and following seas.

Nancy

sister5lp
Posted 2008-06-13 9:15 AM (#16683 - in reply to #15104)

Mess cooking

I wanted to share something with you all, that I hope won't be too boring: One of my nephews now has Howard's pick-up (a 1986 chevy S10, that he actually ordered new). He was good enough to fly to California to pick it up and drive it loaded down heavy, back to South Dakota. This nephew did 4 years as a Marine. Anyway, Howard smoked a pipe, and my nephew (Chris) told me tht when he cleaned and vacumed the truck, he took a bit of the stray tobacco, and saved it. He went out and got an old style magnetic key case, put the saved tobacco in that and has it tucked up inside the truck. To use Chris' words, "this way Howard will always be riding shotgun for me".
Howard was not a big one for general chit-chat (I suspect like many IC-men) however he was always ready to help and share what he knew to be fact when asked. It just touched me that my nephew came up with that idea, and was good enough to share it with me.

Edited by sister5lp 2008-06-13 9:17 AM
Darrin
Posted 2008-06-13 10:20 PM (#16703 - in reply to #15104)

Great Sage of the Sea

That ma'am is a great idea, I wish that I would have done something like that when I picked up my grandma's car in the mid 90's. Stay for a while these folks will grow on ya.

Darrin
ELT2JV
Posted 2008-08-30 6:53 AM (#19217 - in reply to #15104)

New on board

I realize this thread was started some time ago, but I've been meaning to reply to it since I Laura forwarded it to me. I'm MM2 Ryan Jackson, Howard's nephew, currently active duty Navy serving in Charleston, SC.

I wanted to thank all of you for your kind words and thoughtfulness through our time of sadness and trials. I'm very proud to be serving in the Navy that my uncle once served in, and it is with great joy that share I that same pride with all of you.

Thank you all once again for your support.

v/r,
MM2 Jackson
Don Gentry
Posted 2008-08-30 9:20 AM (#19218 - in reply to #19217)

Admin

Welcome aboard Ryan... and thanks for your service shipmate!
steamboat
Posted 2008-08-30 11:16 AM (#19220 - in reply to #15104)
Master and Commander

Laura and Ryan,
So sad to hear of your loss. I am sure Howard is in "Fiddler's Green" now standing watch with his Shipmates.
Now Ya'll stay around here and play in this sandbox with us old pharts. We may get a little out of hand, but all in all we ain't a bad lot.
Ryan, tell us a little about your Navy career????
Steamboat sends
Corabelle
Posted 2008-09-01 9:52 PM (#19246 - in reply to #19217)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Ryan

I see you're in Ralph Luther's territory. I think you two should get together.

Cora
Gil
Posted 2008-09-01 10:51 PM (#19247 - in reply to #15104)
Master and Commander

Thank you for taking the time to share your remembrances with us.  You answered for me how he wound up in SoCal.
sister5lp
Posted 2008-09-11 8:45 PM (#19544 - in reply to #19247)

Mess cooking

Well Gil, Howard had done some computer work for a family trust, that happens to own comercial property in LA. He went out there for what was suposed to be a 4 week trip to take care of some accounting stuff. Their property manager died suddenly while he ws out there. I am sure you can guess who steped in to keep things running and well ......... however for him "home" was where I was, or in South Dakota. South Dakota was really his ultimate "home".

Ryan, so good to see you have joined this group. A really good supportive group of folks. Know I think of you often, and have a photo of that adorable little one of yours on the fridge.

Edited by sister5lp 2008-09-18 10:26 PM
ELT2JV
Posted 2008-10-27 12:21 PM (#20845 - in reply to #15104)

New on board

Hey all, sorry for the delay in responding. I've been meaning to post some details in reply, and I've certainly been meaning to but I've been in the middle of a LIMDU transfer. I'm coming up on my 3-year point this December, and so far have only been to Great Lakes and Charleston, SC for school (as the username implies, I'm a nuke ELT). My first two years were spent entirely in training, starting with MM A school, then on to Nuke Power school, and then down the road to the MTS's for prototype. I qualified as a mechanic and then went on to qualify as an ELT, and immediately after finishing school as a student I got picked up to be an instructor. Unfortunately my instructor tour ended prematurely when I tore my shoulder on the MTS, so currently I'm working at the PSD here in Charleston while I recover from surgery and attempt to rehab the shoulder back to its full capacity.

And that's the summary of my 3 years so far. Looking forward to the next 5 (at least) if the shoulder heals properly.

I'm glad you found this site Aunt Laura; more than happy to be onboard. I hope you're doing well with everything. I'll try to set aside some time to call and chat in the near future.

Edited by ELT2JV 2008-10-27 12:24 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software