Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: USS GEORGE WASHINGTON, the world's first ballistic missile nuclear powered submarine, constructed in record time, set a record of its own by remaining submerged 67 days on its initial Polaris missile deterrent patrol in the Atlantic.
Fleet sub rudder - dimensions
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Jim M.
Posted 2008-04-19 9:43 AM (#15148)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: Fleet sub rudder - dimensions

Crazy question here..but would anyone know the dimensions and weight of a rudder used on a Balao-class fleet submarine?? Also a possible weight as well.

If anyone wants to know why, send me a private message or email me.
Pig
Posted 2008-04-19 11:12 AM (#15154 - in reply to #15148)
Plankowner

Subject: RE: Fleet sub rudder - dimensions

The rudder had an approximate area of 100 square feet. The total weight of the rudder was 11,000 pounds. I'm interested in why, but not enough to send a private message.
Jim M.
Posted 2008-04-19 3:00 PM (#15161 - in reply to #15148)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Fleet sub rudder - dimensions

I'm asking this question based on some research information I've gathered in my effort on CATFISH/SANTA FE. I've been communicating with the chap who was diving officer on HMS BRILLIANT, one of the Royal Navy ships involved in retaking South Georgia from Argentina in 1982..... he sent me part of a book called Operation Paraquat by Roger Perkins..in which this guy is describing how he placed demo charges on SANTA FE's rudder and periscope to disable the boat. He's also sent me photos of him going over the side of SANTA FE to place the charges. When I can, I'll ask him if anyone salvaged the rudder from the bottom of the pier at the whaling jetty in Grytviken. I've just gotten an email from the government officer in South Georgia (who's home in the UK on leave) saying that no one has lifted the rudder since then, or checked the bottom around the whaling jetty... They've got limited resources and he said that he may have someone check out the area around the whaling jetty, whenever someone qualified comes to South Georgia. THey've got few artifacts from the Argentine invasion.... the only thing there is the grave of Felix Artuso, an Argentinian submariner who was killed on SANTA FE on 26 April 1982 when they moved the sub from King Edward Point to the whaling jetty in Grytviken...
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software