Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Leonardo da Vinci, the Florentine Renaissance inventor and artist, developed plans for an underwater warship but kept them secret. He was afraid that it would make war even more frightful than it already was.
A looming tragedy threatens our way of life
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

RCK
Posted 2008-04-20 6:49 AM (#15180)
Master and Commander

Subject: A looming tragedy threatens our way of life

Report: Climate change will threaten beer production
By Caroline McCarthy, CNET news.com
We all know already that climate change will affect everything from food prices to cute baby polar bears.

But now it's really hitting home, folks. A report from a researcher at the National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research in New Zealand suggests that rising temperatures may threaten beer.

An Associated Press report details the findings from climate scientist Jim Salinger, who presented his research at the Institute of Brewing and Distilling's annual convention in Wellington, New Zealand. The grim results? Climate change may affect the production of malting barley, an ingredient crucial to the tasty beers we all know and love.

If we aren't careful, the regions in Australia and New Zealand in which malting barley can grow could experience some tragic shrinkage. Salinger's study didn't extend beyond those two countries, but he did warn that "similar effects could be expected" across the globe.

"It will mean either there will be pubs without beer or the cost of beer will go up," the Associated Press article quoted Salinger as saying.

One word: Noooooooooooo!

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-04-20 8:28 AM (#15181 - in reply to #15180)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: A looming tragedy threatens our way of life

The modern day Barnacle Bill or is it now Crustacian Billy? The Modern Day American Bluejacket faces courtsmartial for bedding a professional lady, has to attend alcoholism counseling for returning to his command carrying a package,....face gender sensitivity training for verbal observations regarding female bust development....and now, Mother Nature is going to rob him of his beer? My God...Can you just hear two COBs? "Hey Wally, When we knock off ships work about 1600, you wanna meet me down at the Chief's Club for a coupl'a cups of OVALTINE?" What ever happened to the old navy where the lads poured topside, sanded the decks so they didn't get slippery with blood during the action....loaded and primed their guns...and ran them out...and heard the skipper yell to the first coxswain..."Splice the Mainbrace...double ration all around'.? But then there was Kipling.."When it comes to slaughter...You'll do you your work on watyer...and bless 'im that's gots it.".....Whiskey, whiskey the Old Salt cried, an' thery gave him water and the old man died." What'll happen to all the unemployed barmaids....think they can get jobs at the A&W Root Beer stand? It'll just be no time at all until the armed services start going over to some form of merit badge system and mandatory tent revival attendance. DEX
Bear
Posted 2008-04-20 10:24 AM (#15186 - in reply to #15180)

Great Sage of the Sea

same threat different source was put out up here a couple weeks ago Beer production is in trouble because of Hops

It was on the news here that the sift to bio diesel has cause a shift in the production of hops as the producers of hops are shifting over to corn.

I think it is all a plot I just hope in this cause and effect that they find a way to take the residue of making bio diesel and figure out away to make bourbon from it

Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2008-04-20 9:50 PM (#15197 - in reply to #15186)

Great Sage of the Sea

Bear - 2008-04-20 8:24 AM

same threat different source was put out up here a couple weeks ago Beer production is in trouble because of Hops

It was on the news here that the sift to bio diesel has cause a shift in the production of hops as the producers of hops are shifting over to corn.

Yeah I read that, too, except the articles I read said it was due to 3 years of bad harvests in Europe, not shifting production. The Boston Beer Company sold over 20,000 pounds of hops to smaller brewries who couldn't otherwise get any, so they would not have to stop brewing. Hooray for Sam Adams! Hooray for fresh, local beer!

MAD DOG
Posted 2008-04-20 10:40 PM (#15198 - in reply to #15180)

Master and Commander

Say it ain't so,RCK.
I agree with DEX (don't shoot me}.
Seems like ,in an effort to be PC,they've endeavered to emasculate the modern day
brother of the phin in every way possible.
They can't associate with the notorious ladies of the evening,sing bawdy songs.drink their
dolphins,tack dolphins on a wet dungaree shirt,or return to the brow in less than an inspection
uniform.No longer can a squared away young bluejacketget away with stumblng across the
brow at 0900 (quarters was at 0700),uttering the famous words"Don't pay the ransom,I escaped".
(my personal favorite).Now we are told that beer will become a thing of the past?

This has got to be the ultimate sacriledge.
I was never a fan of the "tree huggers" and Do not subscribe to Mr.Gore's "global warming"
theory,but if they are using that horse s**t to take away my beer I may have to take a second
look . NOT!!!!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software