Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS SKATE (SSN 578) was the first vessel ever to surface at the North Pole, when on March 17, 1959 she surfaced there to conduct memorial services for the renowned Arctic explorer Sir Hubert Wilkins.
90 Years Ago Today
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

RCK
Posted 2008-04-21 5:13 PM (#15218)
Master and Commander

Subject: 90 Years Ago Today

On April 21, 1918 "The Red Baron" Manfred Von Richtofen was shot down over the Somme(Sp)? River. Was he shot down and killed by an English pilot by the name of Brown.....Very doubtful in my opinion.....Or was he killed by an Australian machine gunner from the ground.....whose name I forgot....??? I think, having read the discription of his last moments while chasing a pilot by the name of May and the autopsy findings, he was killed by ground fire.
Jim M.
Posted 2008-04-21 5:35 PM (#15221 - in reply to #15218)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: 90 Years Ago Today

There were two Australian gunners thought to have fired the shots that killed Von Richthofen...

Gunner Robert Buie
Sergeant Basil Cedric Popkin

There are a number of books out, but the one that makes the best case for the Australians is Who Killed the Red Baron by P.J. Carisella

20 plus years ago, I was living in Vienna, Austria and booked a room in a pension (B & B) for my parents when they came to visit me. My father talked with the owner who gave my dad a letter signed by Siegfried Freiherr von Richthofen, the Baron's nephew (from his youngest brother Karl Bolko)...

JG 71 - Richthofen Geschwader flies as part of the Bundeswehr Luftwaffe...
Darrin
Posted 2008-04-21 5:47 PM (#15222 - in reply to #15218)

Great Sage of the Sea

Funny you mention the machine gunners, the Military channel just did a special on that the other day and for the most part proved that he was shot down by one of the machine gunners on the ground. They used all of the photographic evidence available and then restaged the last flight of the red baron and using a laser to simulate the machine gunners positions they did prove and disprove which gunner got him, I sadly don't remember which gunner on the ground got him.

Darrin
RCK
Posted 2008-04-21 6:02 PM (#15223 - in reply to #15222)
Master and Commander

I think I saw that program some time ago and I can't recall what the conclusion was either. I would be very interesed what the letter said that Jim posted about.
TSpoon
Posted 2008-04-21 6:27 PM (#15224 - in reply to #15218)
Great Sage of the Sea

If you guys had been in Yokosuka in 1966-67 you would know that Snoopy shot down the Red Barron. At least the song they played on all the juke boxs was about that famous battle.

T.Spoon, DBF
Jim M.
Posted 2008-04-22 4:16 AM (#15228 - in reply to #15223)

Great Sage of the Sea

RCK - 2008-04-21 6:02 PM

I think I saw that program some time ago and I can't recall what the conclusion was either. I would be very interesed what the letter said that Jim posted about.

I kept the letter because the signature is very much like the Baron's.. the letter was asking for a room at a certain rate in the B & B.. I can scan it and email it to you if you want.. nothing about the controversy.
Darrin
Posted 2008-04-22 4:26 AM (#15229 - in reply to #15218)

Great Sage of the Sea

I forgot about Snoopy shooting down the Red Baron, he was one hell of a beagle
Jim M.
Posted 2008-04-22 5:33 AM (#15230 - in reply to #15229)

Great Sage of the Sea

Yup...flew a wicked Sopwith Camel doghouse... 10 years ago or so, when we were clearing out my house back home in Pittsburgh, the books that I refused to part with were my Peanuts and Snoopy/Red Baron books...have them in my storage space now...

Love snoopy.. picked up the video Snoopy Come Home on DVD recently.. the first movie I remember going to as a little kid.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software