Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The United States submarine USS TRITON was fitted with twin reactors and was considered the longest submarine ever built until the advent of the OHIO class. The TRITON was designed for a surface displacement of 5,900 tons. Large submarines of other countries have been the Japanese I-400 (5,220 tons), and the French SURCOUF (2,880 tons).
Don't laugh.
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Corabelle
Posted 2008-04-22 7:39 PM (#15253)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Don't laugh.

Okay - you can laugh.

Has anyone on the board 'submerged' in the Atlantis, a tourist attraction in Hawaii? I understand it dives to 120 feet.

I've been given an opportunity to travel to our 50th state (or is it the 49th?), and want to do this tour.

If anyone has done it, except for the glass bottom - or porthole - does it compare anywhere near diving in a 'real" sub? (Poor sentence structure, but I think you'll understand what I mean.)

Cora
Flapper
Posted 2008-04-22 11:03 PM (#15255 - in reply to #15253)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Don't laugh.

Bwa-ha-ha-ha!

Ok, now that we have THAT out of the way ...
... BTDT! I don't know if it was Atlantis or a sister-sub tho. Me and my honey try to make it to Maui most years, and we did the sub thing a few years back. We enjoyed it.
A lot of the so-called 'submarine rides' are really essentially glass-bottom boat rides where you're enclosed so that it 'feels' like you're under water - technically you ARE below the surface, because the seating is below the waterline! But the boat isn't.
However on the Atlantis-type attraction you do indeed submerge the boat to depths of 100 feet or so.
I'd say GO FOR IT!
And Hawai'i IS the '50th state; it was admitted officially 21 Aug 1959. Alaska was admitted on Jan 3 of '59, making it the 49th state.

Edited by Flapper 2008-04-22 11:08 PM
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-04-22 11:49 PM (#15257 - in reply to #15253)

Master and Commander

Corabelle - 2008-04-23 9:39 AM

Okay - you can laugh.

I've been given an opportunity to travel to our 50th state (or is it the 49th?), and want to do this tour.

Cora

Well they didn't name the TV show 'Hawaii Five-0' for because it sounds good!

Blue *_*
steamboat
Posted 2008-04-23 2:24 AM (#15258 - in reply to #15253)
Master and Commander

Be sure to visit the Bowfin and the Submarine memorial with a stone for each of the 52 lost boats, it is close to the Arizona. I have not been, but my CINCHSE has..... one of these days.....
Steamboat sedns
Darrin
Posted 2008-04-23 4:08 AM (#15259 - in reply to #15253)

Great Sage of the Sea

At the Bowfin park there is also a WWII Japanese Kitaen (midget submarine) along with a Mk 37 or two and a bunch of memorabilia from the Diesel boats and from the submarine community it self. The Arizona trip is well worth it and they now have a dedication up for those lost on the USS Nevada on Ford Island, from what I have seen in the news about it it should be a well worth it experiance also. If you can get on Pearl go to the sub base chapel, that was used in the movie "they were expendable" and there is one of the WWII lost boats bells in her tower that still rings today. Forgot to mention that the USS Missouri is also there at Ford Island and open for tours as a museum now.
Coyote
Posted 2008-04-23 6:24 AM (#15260 - in reply to #15253)

Master and Commander

Corabelle - 2008-04-22 9:39 PM

Okay - you can laugh.

Has anyone on the board 'submerged' in the Atlantis, a tourist attraction in Hawaii? I understand it dives to 120 feet.

If anyone has done it, except for the glass bottom - or porthole - does it compare anywhere near diving in a 'real" sub? (Poor sentence structure, but I think you'll understand what I mean.)

Cora

My son and his wife did it on their honeymoon last year. They enjoyed it.

The diving principal is the same as a large submarine, but the thing they emphasize is the look at the reef, fish, divers, etc. That we didn't have.

Coyote
crystal
Posted 2008-04-23 8:55 AM (#15265 - in reply to #15253)

Master and Commander

Cora, one weekend I was teaching classes all day Friday and Saturday in Kona on the Big Island (we lived on Oahu for 22 years).  My wife decided for our "day off" we should take the Atlantis tour.  I was actually quite impressed with the wee thing - so much so that I wrote a talk called "Real Submarines Don't Have Windows" - I still have the notes for it around here someplace.  We later took a ride on the one that dove off Waikiki.  Visit the Arizona Memorial and Punchbowl of the Pacific (military cemetery), get to the other side (Windward) of Oahu and go to Kailua Beach... Many, many places to go and plenty to see without having to pay too much...
Launcher Lary
Posted 2008-04-23 10:13 AM (#15266 - in reply to #15265)

Senior Crew

My wife and I took a " caribein' " cruise 8.5 years ago for our 20th ann. and one of the islands we visited was Barbaidos (SP), long story short, they have a "submarine tour" there also (I think it was on Barbaidos). Anyway, we went to 150, with windows and all the seats were in the centerline facing outboard. We stayed down between 45 minutes to an hour. I talked with the crew most of the time, quizzing them on job oppurtunities, if I remember correctly you needed gold fish to apply, but there weren't many openings. It was fun for the wife and the in-laws and they got a small taste of what I use to do.

Billy Bob
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2008-04-23 1:29 PM (#15267 - in reply to #15258)

Great Sage of the Sea

steamboat - 2008-04-23 12:24 AM

Be sure to visit the Bowfin and the Submarine memorial with a stone for each of the 52 lost boats, it is close to the Arizona. I have not been, but my CINCHSE has..... one of these days.....
Steamboat sedns

YES, DEFINITELY visit the Bowfin, and the museum and monument garden.

During the overhaul on Seadragon ('76-'77), I had the honor of helping clean up the Bowfin when she was brought out of mothballs for conversion to museum service. Had lots of fun, and learned first-hand how some of my senior shipmates lived on the old fleet boats.

On subsequent tours of duty at Pearl Harbor, I made it a point to visit at least once a year, and take visiting family and friends for a tour. Every time it got a little bit better, as they added more things to the museum complex.

I also made an annual visit to the USS Arizona. My father has high school classmates onboard.

AND... if you have time, go visit the USS Missouri.

Plan on spending a whole day at Pearl Harbor. And get there early for the USS Arizona tour. They bring in the tourists by the bus-load.

Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2008-04-23 1:34 PM (#15268 - in reply to #15265)

Great Sage of the Sea

crystal - 2008-04-23 6:55 AM

Visit the Arizona Memorial and Punchbowl of the Pacific (military cemetery), get to the other side (Windward) of Oahu and go to Kailua Beach... Many, many places to go and plenty to see without having to pay too much...

You might also enjoy visiting the North Shore: Haliewa town, Waimea Falls Park, and Turtle Bay. Great places to sit on the beach and watch the surfers, enjoy local musicians, and relax.

Runner485
Posted 2008-04-23 1:39 PM (#15270 - in reply to #15268)

COMSUBBBS

Donald L. Johnson - 2008-04-23 1:34 PM
crystal - 2008-04-23 6:55 AMVisit the Arizona Memorial and Punchbowl of the Pacific (military cemetery), get to the other side (Windward) of Oahu and go to Kailua Beach... Many, many places to go and plenty to see without having to pay too much...
You might also enjoy visiting the North Shore: Haliewa town, Waimea Falls Park, and Turtle Bay. Great places to sit on the beach and watch the surfers, enjoy local musicians, and relax.

Maybe even score some ganja then sit back & really enjoy the music....
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software