Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: When the nuclear powered submarine USS SEADRAGON surfaced at the North Pole while charting the Northwest passage in August 1960, the crew organized a baseball game. Because of Polar time differences, when a batter clouted a home run it would land in either the next day or in 'yesterday'.
Question on submarine biography book set
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Don Gentry
Posted 2008-04-23 7:42 PM (#15295)

Admin

Subject: Question on submarine biography book set

Received this today - can anyone help:

Mr. Gentry, in the late 1980s, Taylor Publishing in Dallas produced a four-volume (if I remember correctly) set of WWII submariners biographies. Taylor does not have them, and I'm wondering if your organization still has copies. I have only one volume of the set. Thank you for your help---

Mike Thomason

Archives Librarian

Pueblo Community College

900 W. Orman Avenue

Pueblo, CO 81004 

Mike.Thomason@pueblocc.edu

TSpoon
Posted 2008-04-23 7:55 PM (#15296 - in reply to #15295)
Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Question on submarine biography book set

There were four volumns printed and a fifth as an index for the first four. They were done for the SVWWII and sold to them. I have looked for the set or individual books and ony found them on a site that is a clearing house for small independent used book sellers. They usually sell for $50 - $80 per book. I understand there was a clearance sale of sorts by the printer or the SVWWII National Storekeeper in teh late 1990s but of course I had not heard of them and missed the sale. They have no more.

The books are done much like the recently printed "USSVI -The First 40 Years" book and are a tremendous treasure of bio's, pictures, and first hand stories of WWII Submarine adventures. They are about an inch and a hald thick. I understand they went out looking for enough pictures and info to prine one book but got enough for four.

The site is:

http://www.abebooks.com/

you search by name (Submarine Veterans) and they are listed by asking price. This is a great site to look for out of print books and such.

Hope this helps,
T.Spoon, DBF
snakeyez
Posted 2008-04-24 5:25 AM (#15300 - in reply to #15295)

Senior Crew

I frequently see these books (not as a set, but individually) on sites like eBay.com and Half.com for various prices.

I do wish they would be republished, even as paperbacks, with the USSVWWII era perhaps coming to a close within the next years.
Bear
Posted 2008-04-24 8:36 AM (#15305 - in reply to #15295)

Great Sage of the Sea

I no longer have Mike Geleka's info but if one of the WWII or someone with his info you mike ask him he was long time SK for them and may know where there are copies
Warshot
Posted 2008-04-24 12:29 PM (#15312 - in reply to #15295)
WWII Sub Vet

I remember this very well. I did NOT participate because you had to PAY to get your story in the book. Not my thing.

Warshot
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software