Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: In clear water, a submerged submarine can be spotted from the air at depths up to 100 feet.
WTC Elevators
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Runner485
Posted 2008-04-24 5:14 AM (#15299)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: WTC Elevators

This should have been under Sid's post below A long read, but worth it....Don't know how it went to the top....Looks like I need a sig for this evolution!

Thanks Sid. It's amazing what people can write about. My own experiences with the Trade Center elevators are just memories of long ago and the mundane morning, lunchtime & evening ride to the lobby, unless the wind was blowing hard.

I worked on the 110th floor of Two WTC. To get up there consisted of an elevator to the Sky lobby on the 77th floor. Then a ride to the 107th floor....then a freight elevator to the 110th floor, 3 stories above the rentable spaces. We had no windows up there.

On windy days, if the mechanism for slowing down the elevators wasn't activated, and I don't know who or how that happened, the ride from the 77th floor to the lobby was not only as usual, fast, but the car banged back and forth while heading down to the lobby. Which was unnerving to say the least and required at least two additional drinks for lunch to calm your nerves!

Later today, I'll go pull out my copy of that issue and read the entire story.

Edited by Runner485 2008-04-24 5:18 AM
PaulR
Posted 2008-04-24 7:06 AM (#15302 - in reply to #15299)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: WTC Elevators

Runner485 - 2008-04-24 8:14 AMThis should have been under Sid's post below A long read, but worth it....Don't know how it went to the top....Looks like I need a sig for this evolution!

Thanks Sid. It's amazing what people can write about. My own experiences with the Trade Center elevators are just memories of long ago and the mundane morning, lunchtime & evening ride to the lobby, unless the wind was blowing hard.

I worked on the 110th floor of Two WTC. To get up there consisted of an elevator to the Sky lobby on the 77th floor. Then a ride to the 107th floor....then a freight elevator to the 110th floor, 3 stories above the rentable spaces. We had no windows up there.

On windy days, if the mechanism for slowing down the elevators wasn't activated, and I don't know who or how that happened, the ride from the 77th floor to the lobby was not only as usual, fast, but the car banged back and forth while heading down to the lobby. Which was unnerving to say the least and required at least two additional drinks for lunch to calm your nerves!

J

Joe, when I first moved to Washington Place in 1969, one of our neighbors was Howie Olson. He was a foreman with an OTIS crew working at WTC.

I joined their Tues night poker group for most of the time I lived there. One evening I mentioned the Brooklynn Dodgers, and how I had grown up following that team, and how my entire extended family were all Dodger fans. He said "then you'll find this very interesting".

He went on to tell me that one of his laborers used to be a player for the Dodgers, how he now wears a hard-hat and eats his luch like all the others, while warming himself beside the fire barrell. I thought at first that he was referring to a minor leaguer, but when he mentioned that he was from Reading, PA,.

I knew right away

Edited by PaulR 2008-04-24 7:29 AM
Jim M.
Posted 2008-04-24 11:20 AM (#15309 - in reply to #15299)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: WTC Design

My father was a structural engineer in Pittsburgh... during the construction of the World Trade Center, he was asked to become involved with the structural design of the Twin Towers.. but that would have made him move us to NYC, which he didn't want to do.

When the FEMA report on the towers collapse came out in 2002 or 2003, I gave him a copy, as I recognized the names of companies he used to work with back in Pittsburgh..
Runner485
Posted 2008-04-24 11:39 AM (#15310 - in reply to #15302)

COMSUBBBS

PaulR - 2008-04-24 7:06 AM
Runner485 - 2008-04-24 8:14 AMThis should have been under Sid's post below A long read, but worth it....Don't know how it went to the top....Looks like I need a sig for this evolution!

J

Joe, when I first moved to Washington Place in 1969, one of our neighbors was Howie Olson. He was a foreman with an OTIS crew working at WTC.

I joined their Tues night poker group for most of the time I lived there. One evening I mentioned the Brooklynn Dodgers, and how I had grown up following that team, and how my entire extended family were all Dodger fans. He said "then you'll find this very interesting".

He went on to tell me that one of his laborers used to be a player for the Dodgers, how he now wears a hard-hat and eats his luch like all the others, while warming himself beside the fire barrell. I thought at first that he was referring to a minor leaguer, but when he mentioned that he was from Reading, PA,.

I knew right away

Paul, without even opening up your link I know it is Carl Furillo....What an arm he had. While your entire family was Dodger fans we were NY Giant fans who of course hated the Bums....My regret today is that I never went to Ebbets Field to see a game, I just couldn't go, I detested them that much. All those years losing to the Bums turned around in 1951....You remember don'cha...In case you forgot I;ll remind you. It was the "shot heard round the world", and it had nothing to do with 1776!

BTW! The kids I grew up with were all Yankee fans and not one Dodger fan among them. We lived in Manhattan, maybe that's why. Matter of fact I never met a kid growingup in NYC, who admitted being a Dodger fan.....

Memories......nice thoughts, thanks

PaulR
Posted 2008-04-24 12:03 PM (#15311 - in reply to #15310)

Master and Commander

Runner485 - 2008-04-24 2:39 PM
PaulR - 2008-04-24 7:06 AM

J

I knew right away

Paul, without even opening up your link I know it is Carl Furillo....What an arm he had. While your entire family was Dodger fans we were NY Giant fans who of course hated the Bums....My regret today is that I never went to Ebbets Field to see a game, I just couldn't go, I detested them that much. All those years losing to the Bums turned around in 1951....You remember don'cha...In case you forgot I;ll remind you. It was the "shot heard round the world", and it had nothing to do with 1776!

BTW! The kids I grew up with were all Yankee fans and not one Dodger fan among them. We lived in Manhattan, maybe that's why. Matter of fact I never met a kid growingup in NYC, who admitted being a Dodger fan.....

Memories......nice thoughts, thanks

I remember it well...OCT 3, my brother's birthday.  "Sometimes you win, sometimes...."

Our family wa from the Ozone Park and Richmond Hills area of Queens, so the B'klynn border was walking distance away.

I did get to to see the Dodgers play in NY, in Brooklynn and at the Polo Grounds where Robinson stole home against Ruben Gomez if memory if my memory is still there.
Tom McNulty
Posted 2008-04-24 1:34 PM (#15314 - in reply to #15299)

Master and Commander

Boy, you ex NYers are good. Being a kid from Astoria we could go anywhere and be unwelcome. I was a Yankee fan and dreamed about the ganes at Yankee Stadium. My pals were Giants fans so unless I wanted to go to the Bronx alone it was off to the Polo Grounds. Yankee Stadium was upscale and the Polo Grounds, well blue collar. None of us would admit that Brooklyn was part of NYC. It was an independant country where the bogieman roamed and all spoke a foreign language. You know like "earling" your bike chain, "berling" water, etc. But free baseball was good baseball and Ebbett's Field was where PS 122 had there field trips. Great seats too, if you liked to study the rivets on the steel holding up the roof. But again, it was free baseball. I used to carry my birth certificate on those trips in case I had to prove U.S. citizenship crossing the Gowanus Canal. Speaking of the canal, have you ever been able to eat lunchmeat since? The locals will know just what I mean. That was a long time ago.
Runner485
Posted 2008-04-24 2:34 PM (#15317 - in reply to #15314)

COMSUBBBS

Good stuff Tom. I friend of mine described the difference btwn the Giants, Dodgers, and Yankees, in political terms....

The Dodger fans are anarchists and would go crazy when appropriate.
The Giant fans are democrats and would cheer wildy,  "          "
The Yankee fans are republicans and would politely applaud,   "   "

Writing that I got a broad grin on my face....

Flapper
Posted 2008-04-24 4:35 PM (#15324 - in reply to #15314)

Master and Commander

Tom McNulty - 2008-04-24 2:34 PM
{SNIP}
I used to carry my birth certificate on those trips in case I had to prove U.S. citizenship crossing the Gowanus Canal. Speaking of the canal, have you ever been able to eat lunchmeat since? The locals will know just what I mean. That was a long time ago.

Reminds me of a routine by Chris Rush - no, not THAT Chris Rush - the original, a white guy from NY in the early 70s. He was riffing about how the Mafia "gets rid of bodies by running them through the lunch meat factory over in 'Joisey'. Can you imagine making a sandwich and the bolgna has five o'clock shadow? I mean, sure it holds the mustard better, but Jeez!"

Edited by Flapper 2008-04-24 4:40 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software