Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: In their history, submarines were called by many names such as 'eel boats', 'plunging boats', 'devil divers', and 'pig boats'. Technically, and by size, the submarine is a ship, but it has been called a boat since its earliest days, and the term is steeped in tradition. Submariners almost invariably call their ships 'boats".
Excellent Ship Reunion in Groton
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Thomas Courtien
Posted 2008-04-27 6:02 PM (#15409)
Master and Commander

Subject: Excellent Ship Reunion in Groton

We had a great reunion for the SSBN657 – USS Francis Scott Key in Groton this weekend.

Friday we went to the Sub School graduation to see the “Francis Scott Key” Class graduate. The new Master Chief of the USS Texas was the guest speaker; he is one funny guy with a good sense of humor.

Then we had a tour of some of the training facilities. There is a new escape trainer that is almost finished. There is a new suit to wear when coming up. Then there is a little "raft" to keep you out of the cold water. Royal Navy designed and tested. They have come up from 600 feet if I heard the diver correctly.

They have a simulated firing range which works pretty nice with laser technology. You can work through different scenarios on the video screen.

Saturday we went aboard the USS Providence SSN 719. She has been certified to sail with chartless navigation; it is all computers. It is all out fitted with flat screens, fiber optic cable, and internet; plus, a video system in place of the scope.

The best was going over all the memories with shipmates. Lots of memorabilia being passed around to spark old memories.
There is a unique continuity; the older guys remember us when we came aboard and then we remember the newer guys when thay came on board; and so on. There are memories behind us and memories in front of us.

The Master Chief of the base spoke at our dinner and told us how they worked to fight the threatened base closing in the last few years.

There was one young sailor who asked me, as I was wandering around, if I was looking for the restroom. I said no, but can you tell me where the head is located.

Edited by Thomas Courtien 2008-04-27 6:45 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software