Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS SEAWOLF join the Electric Boat built USS NAUTILUS and SKATE in writing new chapters in the achievements of man when the nuclear powered submarine came to the surface at 11:45 a.m. on October 6, 1958 after being continuously submerged for 60 days.
Carrier
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Bear
Posted 2008-05-09 10:53 AM (#15756 - in reply to #15470)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Carrier

As a bit of clarification you both are probably right

1 The Coral Sea was part of the major Libyan attack called El Dorado Canyon the Air Wing at the time was CVW 13 and their Hornets flew Combat Air Patrol and repeatedly "challenged" the opposing aircraft additionally have worked with CVW8 squadrons as well as CVW13 squadrons The famous Line of Death is part of El Dorado Canyon in 86. The Mig shot downs were in 81 and 89.

2  It is very possible that CVW 8 (which would have been aircraft from VF-41) were on the Coral Sea when Dex saw them,  CVW8 was in a transtition phase from 89-91 when they were waiting for the Roosevelt to become availiable and all the squadrons from CVW13 were in the process of changing air wings. As Sept of 89 while CVW-13 exsisted the squadrons either did not or were moving on to another wing in fact the squadrons still assigned basically had little or no aircraft. So if infact this was in that time frame late 89 till 91 then the planes on deck were most likely not the planes from Coral Seas airwing and probably were on loan.

3 Also F-14's at that time were also doing two major changes so like the A-6 and EA-6B they airplanes used by VF-41 in 1981 were most likely not in the squadron in that they would be high air time air frames and finally the state of Texas Flag and the state outline was used on planes that were part of the reserve airwing VF-202 Superheats caused they were based out of Dallas and from 1986-till decomm they were with out a carrier to call home and were flying very old Tomcats which is why the decommissioned rather than convert and were using what ever carriers to maintain quals

So in a nut shell the VF-41 plane from 81 mostly was part of VF-202 and was on the Coral Sea since the Coral see had not planes around then and VF-202 had no carrier. So Dex no regular aircraft assigned to Coral Sea downed a plane in the Libyan Conflict.  Blackbeard there is a high degree of probablity that the tour guide may have actually been told that the plane on deck was one of those planes that did (there were 4, but VF-32 was not until 89) shot down a Mig and just didn't know that it was no longer a Black Ace Plane, but on the surface it would be a valid assumption to think a VF-41 plane was not on Coral Sea as they never were assigned to her in fact Coral Sea never deployed with Tomcats.

So play nice

(vf-202_1.gif)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments vf-202_1.gif (14KB - 835 downloads)
Bear
Posted 2008-05-09 10:55 AM (#15757 - in reply to #15470)

Great Sage of the Sea

does it make sense now
Buc1369
Posted 2008-05-09 11:16 AM (#15758 - in reply to #15470)
Crew

Being there in the area at the time the mind is fuzzy with age, but I'm sure the planes were from the Nimitz.
What a wonderful way to remember a med run.

Oh yeah we never did see THE LINE in the Gulf
Bear
Posted 2008-05-09 11:28 AM (#15760 - in reply to #15470)

Great Sage of the Sea

the cars on deck are normally part of a change of home port the navy lets crew take POVs to new home port onbard the deck sometimes

Here is the list of skippers which might tell when the tour was

1981 - 1983Captain Jerome L. Johnson, USN
1983 - 1984Captain Jeremy D. Taylor, USN
1984 - 1985Captain Robert E. Tucker, USN
1985 - 1987Captain Robert H. Ferguson, USN
1987 - 1988Captain Bruce B. Bremner, USN
1988 - 1990Captain Lloyd E. Allen, Jr., USN

which in turn might help figure out the why

Buc1369
Posted 2008-05-09 11:46 AM (#15762 - in reply to #15470)
Crew

The information I found was that the Coral Sea was involved in the 1986 Gulf of Sidra incident, and her planes took out a shore base radar site that was painting the US aircraft. So Bear you had the right answer.
Bear
Posted 2008-05-09 12:21 PM (#15764 - in reply to #15470)

Great Sage of the Sea

yeah but I really think Dex is right to I think for the review they had aircraft on deck and that the aircraft was most likely from VF-202 (hence the Texas Flag) and that the aircraft was actually the one that VF-41 Skipper flew when he downed the Migs

anyways  it is airdale stuff  and it is like saying which torpedo number was used to hit which ship  not important

Edited by Bear 2008-05-09 12:50 PM
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-05-09 1:58 PM (#15767 - in reply to #15470)

Great Sage of the Sea

That any of the Aircraft from the two shoot-downs could be displayed on the Coral Sea is a given, they could crane the Space Shuttle onto her for display if they wanted. I was addressing the details under my (probably incorrect) assumption the Dex meant that they launched from the Coral Sea for either of those events.
It was a friendly attempt to provide the correct information which I believe I made clear by my tone. Saying "play nice" is unnecessary. I respect Dex and think he is one of the best pen-men on any board around. I will *ping* him as a fellow Submariner as I do with any others I respect and enjoy corresponding with, but I rarely if ever am discourteous, I have better things to do with my time than cause grief on the internet.
Although my heart will always remain true to the Submarine force, the Airdales have been my bread and butter for the last 25 years or so (even if my best job involved shooting and blowing them up!) Despite my resistance I've learned quite a bit about them and their history and have met and admired many of them tremendously, Adm. Venlet included. Sadly I have also gone to services for far too many of them that became friends and were lost. Being a Test Pilot is still a very dangerous job and these Aviators have earned their wings with blood.

BB
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-05-09 2:48 PM (#15769 - in reply to #15470)

COMSUBBBS

Blackbeard was ABSOLUTELY RIGHT...I didn't know my butt from the preverbial excavation void. I was amazed the whole time I was on that great big monstrosity....The hanger deck, where they had set up for the Change of Command, was the size of a damn shopping mall...Family and friends were invited to have coffee, cookies and cake in the Wardroom after the ceremony. I never found the place...I wandered around in an endless rat maze of passageways, companion ways, twartships-midships crossways, sideways...up and down ladders...goddam frame numbers...Hell, I kept moving up until I reached daylight and couldn't have known if I was on the Coral Sea or downtown Hong Kong.....That sonuvabitch was thje biggest metal contraption I had ever seen. I didn't tell anyone I asked directions from that I was once a sailor and rode something that the only way to get lost on was to get shot out the GDU....One thing about bolting stuff onto a sea story...If you screw it up and get the details bolloxed up....Somebody with far more knowledge than you will pin the tail on your donkey....I now am sporting a forty two foot donkey tail and the evidence of the two hundred and seventy five cow pies I have tap danced in. Somebody throw this poor bastard a line. Blackbeard I surrender. DEX
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-05-09 2:58 PM (#15770 - in reply to #15470)

Great Sage of the Sea

Here's a stool, have a seat. The first round is on me.

BB

Edited by BlackBeard 2008-05-09 2:59 PM
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-05-09 3:09 PM (#15771 - in reply to #15470)

COMSUBBBS

Also, Blackbeard you were right again. I DID represent that they were CORAL SEA fighter aircraft...I never heard of the fight where they shot down the Lybian planes. I heard about it from some guy in a flight suit telling the spectators about it. He was standing next to the plane dressed up like some guy who flew airplanes...He might have been a leftover extra from some movie...To a highly trained E-3 he looked like the pilot...he was dressed up like a pilot and had a lot of pilot stuff on...patches and sewn on wings and had a helmet with some kind of elephant trunk hose on it....tucked under his arm. I figured he must have shot down something from that airplane and he had to live and fly off the CORAL SEA because that's where the two airplanes were ....I've never represented myself as a forensic scientist or knowledgable authorirty on anything but the effects of an enlarged prostate. I thought they were part of the CORAL SEA for the same reason I would have thought any sonuvabitch running around in pads and a jockstrap in the Notre Dame locker room played for the Fighting Irish....I DID represent them as flying off the CORAL SEA for one simple reason...Up to yesterday I was convinced they did.....Your Honor, I would like to use THE DUMB BASTARD DEFENSE....DEX
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-05-09 3:14 PM (#15772 - in reply to #15652)

Master and Commander

Hey POD, When was this show on our TV?

Just one point about your comment about once being a bonehead....you still are! *_*

wrt the show, how many times have any of you actually stated, "I wish these TV guys would interview me, I would tell them what really goes on here, not the BS the Officers/Chief's are telling them" I bet there is a few here!

Good to see you last night POD, but next time do better with my numbers, sick of being one number off!

Blue *_*
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-05-09 3:31 PM (#15775 - in reply to #15470)

Great Sage of the Sea

Dex, it reminds me of a joke that I shared (but was not appreciated) with a Former Cmdr. (O-6 select) Hornet driver that we have dinner with every few months or so. If you are unsure if he was a real Naval Aviator you can look for certain clues.

An old Lady calls the Base MA up and complains that she has a bunch of drunk, naked Pilots on her front lawn dancing and singing. The duty MA says "Ma'am, if they are naked how do you know they are pilots?"
She replies "Well, they have really big wrist-watches and tiny C**ks!"

Thank you, I'll be here till Friday, try the Lobster and tip your waitress, Goodnight!

BB

Edited by BlackBeard 2008-05-09 3:32 PM
Bear
Posted 2008-05-09 3:44 PM (#15776 - in reply to #15470)

Great Sage of the Sea

Okay I give up

All I was trying to do was explain how both of you could be right at the same time and my comment was just meant to say consider how you both were wording things  such as you saying Dex you are wrong but its a nice sea story (implying not all TINS are true yah know) and Dex very certainly stated Well I know it was the Coral Sea  So whatever I keep my damn comments to myself and you all can just stuff it. I am done with this crap

BTW: Naval Air was my life from 1989 to 1996 (yes I was at TailHook several times)

Edited by Bear 2008-05-09 7:35 PM

BlackBeard
Posted 2008-05-09 8:31 PM (#15783 - in reply to #15776)

Great Sage of the Sea

Why are you so sensitive? No one jumped on or abused you. Your input was correct and valuable. My comment that "play nice" was unnecessary was only that, a comment and I explained why.
My friendly, well intended, and non-confrontational (but unsolicited) advice would be to 'not consider responses to be angry unless they make it clear - that they are angry.'

BB

dex armstrong
Posted 2008-05-10 5:10 PM (#15812 - in reply to #15470)

COMSUBBBS

Bear, First let me say...I am extremely grateful to you for the detailed research and the way you bailed me out. I hope to hell, nothing I said made you feel otherwise. When you are 67 looking back years ago...both memory and factual historical recounting become homogenized into something resembling a bulls**t gumbo. Your support and coming to my rescue was deeply appreciated. My humor sometimes makes me tapdance a weird doo-dah, but it is always wonderful when someone gives you a helping hand when you are snorkeling in the septic tank. THANK YOU...DEX
Coyote
Posted 2008-05-14 10:03 PM (#15934 - in reply to #15470)

Master and Commander

When Seadragon (SSN584) was brand new and on shake-down in the Caribbean, and working with destroyers and a carrier, the carrier officers thought it would be nice if we gave a day of indoctrination to some officers. The CO said fine, could he send some of his folks to the carrier for the day. Sure, come on over.

The morning transfer of officers onto Seadragon from Valley Forge went well enough and the transfer of some of us (including the undersigned dipstick) went ok. They used one of the helos that had side-by-side counter-rotating props. The helo driver had to ham it up, of course, so he went in at water level next to VF, then hopped up and sideways onto the deck. We got out and ran into the "island'.

About five minutes later, some AB2 was writing me up for wearing my Frye boots. He asked what division I was in, I said 'Sonar'. He said We don't have a Sonar Division. Yup, you don't, Seadragon does. Send the report slip through your CO, he invited us. He wadded up the chit and wandered off mumbling.

We spent the day in CIC and on the Flag Bridge (no flag on board) watching the ops. Interesting, but not my bag.

The helo transfer back was a little more exciting since the seas had come up and Seadragon was taking water over the deck now and then. I got dropped onto the deck and slipped out of the harness as a wave came over but the COB held onto me.

Carrier? Some of those folks deserve medals just for getting up in the morning and facing that flight deck. Others are drones and worse. Representative of the population at large, I guess. We have it better.

DBF
Coyote
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-05-15 6:49 AM (#15935 - in reply to #15470)

COMSUBBBS

I never served on any other type of ship other than Fleet Boats....The only experience I had regarding multi deck craft was limited to diagrams in my Great Lakes issued BJM....So after an excercise in 1961 I was sent as the Exec's personal burro to jackass a load of DRT tracing rolls over to the USS ANTIETAM and deliver them to the CIC......The experience was like being a headhunter captured on a remote South Pacific island and ending up in downtown Chicago......and once inside that goddam monster, I knew exactly what Jonah felt like when the whale ate him. Never in the course of human history was a dumb sonuvabitch more lost, confused and wondering if he would ever see sunshine...blue skies and those he had previously known. If someone took me and Dick Cheney waterboarded me for ten hours, I couldn't tell them where in the hell I went that day....I seriously thought of doing a Hanzel and Gretel bread crumbs trick but would have had to have had an eighteen wheeler load of crumbs. I wandered around like a human pinball in that giant contraption asking folks how to get to the CIC....I heard terms I'd never heard before like... frame numbers...midships and something called twartships passageways...companionways....taff rail...."X" doors..."Z"doors....First Lt.s Division....CAC deck....Signals deck ladder...I asked one guy what some term meant and he said."Buddy how goddam long have you been in the NAVY?" I was wearing a peacoat that covered my Dolphins...."Two years...but the ship I'm riding is like living in a 20 guage barrel with no way to get lost, when you're sober." Carriers are simply too damn big....going in one of those damn things is like crawling up a hippo's colan. DEX
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-05-15 10:01 AM (#15943 - in reply to #15470)

Great Sage of the Sea

I hesitate to tell this story but since others have come clean...
When I reported to the Gurnard they were on WestPac. I had a month or so to wait so they assigned me to the Dixon Gyro shop for the time. After a quick indoc and tour of the mess-decks, infirmary, and workspaces, the squadron weenie showed me to my bunk. He carefully pointed out the frame, deck, and space number so I could always find my way back. This worked for about a week. Then I came back from an evening of sampling the local San Diego beverages and for the life of me I couldn't find my space. Couldn't remember the correct numbers no matter what. So I slept in the gyro-shop that night and the next day, with better lighting and less inebriation, I was able to find my rack, shower and change into my dungarees before quarters.
This happened a couple more times and I finally gave up. I retrieved my seabag, threw it in my car, and slept there for the next week. Then I was assigned to work on the Bonefish replacing pyrometers and a dozen other small jobs (replace Bilge level indicators etc.) I'd work during the day, go out for dinner and take a break, then come back and work till 2-3 in the morning. By the fourth week the SQ. CMC had found a rack for me in the Sub-base barracks, but those 2 weeks of sleeping in the car and working double shifts (nothing else to do) I now consider as good preperation for life on the boat...

BB
Jump to page : 1 2
Now viewing page 2 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software