Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Nautilus has long been a popular name for a submarine. Some of the more famous of these are Robert Fulton's NAUTILUS (1800), Jules Verne's fictional Nautilus, and the NAUTILUS of Sir Hubert Wilkins in which he attempted a voyage to the North Pole under the ice (1931). There have also been three U.S. submarines of that name, including the world's first nuclear powered submarine built by the Electric Boat Division.
New Escape Trainer at SBNL
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-05-02 11:50 AM (#15522)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: New Escape Trainer at SBNL

Hey all,

Well, it is that time of the year when Groton Base hosts "Return to Sub School" and the new trainer, although still under construction, is open for viewing. It's quite the marvel, but not knowing what previous trainer looked like, will leave it up to you. I would love to have gotten a really great photo...inside, but that would have been a no-no, so I tried to get pix from both vantage points.

Enjoy!

(100_2540A-Dive Trainer, SBNL.jpg)

(100_2538A-Dive Trainer-SBNL.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments 100_2540A-Dive Trainer, SBNL.jpg (20KB - 778 downloads)
Attachments 100_2538A-Dive Trainer-SBNL.jpg (34KB - 768 downloads)
RCK
Posted 2008-05-02 12:01 PM (#15523 - in reply to #15522)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: New Escape Trainer at SBNL

A thing of beauty ........ fun to play in too. I had a blast in in the tank. The one in New London and the one in Pearl where we did our requalification. It may sound a bit scary to some one who never did it but it was great. I shot out of the water up to my knees. They wouldn't let us go from the 100ft level and I never understood why. I took up scuba after I got out and 100 foot dives in the ocean were great fun although you only had about 5 minutes of bottom time using standard compressed air rigs. Here's to scuba diving and Berracuda watching you do it!!!
Mac McCoy
Posted 2008-05-02 12:54 PM (#15529 - in reply to #15522)
Senior Crew

Yep Scuba was fun. Spent three years in Roosevelt Roads and was in the water most weeks. However when a LARGE Barracuda saw his reflection in your mask and decided to investigate it made for some rapid heartbeats for a minute or two. Those rascals looked real big from a foot in front of your mask.
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-05-03 11:30 PM (#15584 - in reply to #15522)

Great Sage of the Sea

I learned in Guam during a 30 day refit in the middle of our WestPac. Loved it and still do when in warm waters.

BB
Keg
Posted 2008-05-04 6:06 AM (#15586 - in reply to #15523)
Mess cooking

RCK - 2008-05-02 12:01 PM

A thing of beauty ........ fun to play in too. I had a blast in in the tank. The one in New London and the one in Pearl where we did our requalification. It may sound a bit scary to some one who never did it but it was great. I shot out of the water up to my knees. They wouldn't let us go from the 100ft level and I never understood why. I took up scuba after I got out and 100 foot dives in the ocean were great fun although you only had about 5 minutes of bottom time using standard compressed air rigs. Here's to scuba diving and Berracuda watching you do it!!!

I enjoyed it myself but I think you just answered your question why they they no longer allowed 100 foot tower escapes. A five (5) minute bottom time. When I went through in 1966 it was said that 100 ft accents had been allowed at one time but a man died. Even after a 50 foot escape we had to stand at parade rest for a period of time to be observed for a while to assure we did not require recompression.
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-05-04 8:52 AM (#15592 - in reply to #15522)

COMSUBBBS

I went through in 1959....You went into the "locker room" took off your undress blues, skivvies and socks...put on your navy blue wool issued "Nut hugger"....put your gear in a locker, locked it and put the locker key, which was attached to a red rubber ring that looked like those red rubber Mason jar gaskets...you put that around your left ankle...You went in the 50lb psi Chamber then they put you in the escape chamber...some guy who looked like a shaved King Kong gave you instructions.... all I remember was "Stop and blow out all you can" and "Don't pass your bubbles" Then he said, "If you feel a pain in the center of your chest, STOP and blow like hell...the pain comes from your lungs over expanding from air expanding as the external sea pressure decreases and put simply. the pressure if continued will unseat your ribs from their sternum sockets, which will allow the back pressure to pop them out of your chest and your lungs to hop out and explode." That made one helluva impression on me and the 19 other jaybirds....There were four mermaids painted on the inside of the tank....They had been painted with different breast exposure configurations, You were told to remember the pattern of breast exposure....One had her golden locks covering her starboard boob....One had a porpoise tail fin obscuring one and two had both perky titties sitting up and winking at the boatsailors....I remember hitting the surface climbing out and some sonuvabitch asking me. to burp..then saying "How'de the mermai8ds look?" "One titty, One titty, Two titties, Two titties" OK, You're qualified...We're open on the weekend if you want to make another one....Since I couldn't afford amusement park rides, I made two more. DEX
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software