Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "When you shoot at a destroyer and miss, it's like hit'in a wildcat in the ass with a banjoā€¯ -- Chief Officer Steward Dogan on the USS Gurnard during WWII
Question For Photography Hobbyists
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Tom Conlon
Posted 2008-05-02 10:49 PM (#15542)
Old Salt

Subject: Question For Photography Hobbyists

All,

For years I used Minolta SLR cameras (X700). I had *really* good luck with them. Good quality, well-constructed.

For lenses, I used Vivitar's Series 1 lenses (28-85 and 70-210). They were just about the *best* lenses on the market at the time (1980's).

I've since moved away from film and into digital cameras.

Over the last few years, I've been using a Minolta Dimage Advanced P&S camera. I got some really good pictures with it on the recent USSVI Cruise to Alaska convention. The camera recently died. Since Konica-Minolta has since gone out of the camera business, I "bit the bullet" and replaced my Minolta Dimage with a new Nikon D40 digital SLR. It's my first Nikon and I think it'll work out real well for me.

My question to the assembled multitude is: Are the old Vivitars in Minolta mount compatible with the new Nikon lens mounts? Obviously, I'd have to use them in full manual mode.

I'd really like to use my "old faithfuls." They were really good lenses.

I'd appreciate any information that anyone could provide. Thanks.

HSN,
Tom
Flapper
Posted 2008-05-04 6:36 AM (#15587 - in reply to #15542)

Master and Commander

Subject: Not really an answer, Tom, but...

... more like an observation on boat sailor behavior:

When first attempting to pose your question, you accidently posted a 'bodiless' (ie, no text) message before you had even completed the Subject line. Here we are 3 or 4 days later, and I see I'm the first responder to your actual substantive question; yet I see there are 14 or 15 wise-ass responses to your 'blank page' accidental post, which makes it (in BBS terms, at least) a pretty successful conversation starter.

Just like the old days: a bunch of boat sailors would much rather BS about nothing at all than to do anything meaningful!

And sorry, I can't answer your lenses question ... all I can say is that I can still take superior photos with my ancient metal-body Minolta SRT200 and the lenses I acquired over the years, than with my digital cameras. But eventually getting and processing film will become pretty exhorbitant, I'm betting.
RCK
Posted 2008-05-04 9:59 AM (#15594 - in reply to #15587)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Not really an answer, Tom, but...

Flapper - 2008-05-04 6:36 AM

" yet I see there are 14 or 15 wise-ass responses to your 'blank page' accidental post, which makes it (in BBS terms, at least) a pretty successful conversation starter."

HARRUMMMPH!!! I resemble that remark!!! The three most hated things in the world are warm beer, wet toilet paper, and a smart ass!!! Now this be true in the world at large, but in the "Brotherhood of the Phin" things are different. Sometimes we had to put up with warm beer. WE DRANK IT ANYWAY......Wet Toilet paper was a necessary evil that we learned to tolerate both at sea and ashore (Ashore some drunk sailor would accidentally drop the roll in the s**tter.... sometimes out of meanness ) WE LEARNED TO LOOK BEFORE WE SELECTED A SUITABLE HEAD IN WHICH TO SEEK OUR REPOSE. "Smart Assism" was part and parcel of the qualifcation process and a proud tradition that became elevated to an art form upon receiving the coveted Dolphins. Without it we were no better than the average citizen, with it we were SUBMARINERS!!! P.S. Blank Pages and voids are prime openings for the SMART ASSIST to raise his ugly head. When you leave a vacuum, be afraid......be very afraid.
Bear
Posted 2008-05-04 11:23 AM (#15596 - in reply to #15542)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Question For Photography Hobbyists

I know that a Minolta will not fit a Nikon Digital D40 but the only people that could really answer that would would be someone that tried the combination (like I did will my Killer Konica lense which was/is vivatar) or possibly a check of Vivatat website to see what they show as compatable lenses but there are not numbers given for the lenses and Nikon doesn't say any specifics that I have found.
Chew
Posted 2008-05-04 1:43 PM (#15600 - in reply to #15542)

Mess cooking

In the day, vivitar made adaptors for their lenses so they could fit any number of cameras. Being that old, and adapting to a new camera, I wish you luck.

Bob
Park Dallis
Posted 2008-05-04 6:21 PM (#15604 - in reply to #15542)

Old Salt

I've bought a lot of gear from B&H Photo and therefore got on their mailing list for their periodic catalog mailings.

The catalogs are huge with lots of photography and electronic gear.

Check out their website, they have a help center and telephone contact numbers.

Good Luck.

B&H Photo.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software