Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: Modern nuclear submarines can travel faster submerged than they can on the surface. They can fully submerge in less than a minute.
Why wear you dolphins in public - inspirational reason
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Skii
Posted 2008-05-08 11:16 AM (#15730)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: Why wear you dolphins in public - inspirational reason

On May 7th I was leaving Tucson Int Airport for my daughters PHD ceremony in Chicago (May 8th Loyola University -
a doctor is in the house) and was at the bar making a cell call and the waitress said a young man across from me
would like to buy me a drink. I had on my USS STERLET (SS392) Association shirt blue with white lettering and
large dolphins over the pocket. I accepted not knowing why and he yelled across were you on submarines. I
said yes, and he said so was my Dad. I then walked around to join him and he told me his Dad had passed away
in March and he was so happy to see a submariner while in Tucson on a training mission.

His name was Timothy Hopely and he was proudly wearing his Dad's dolphin belt buckle and web belt. I learned that his Dad was very involved with the Southern New Jersey Chapter of USSVI, served on the Diablo and instrumental in many
successful reunions and functions involving USSVI. He was very proud to share this with me and I in turn said I will
send him many links for him about the Diablo and possibly his Dad. The first one I opened had a cover story about
Tom Hopely his service to the Diablo organization. His Dad passed in his sleep in York, Pa. on March 31, 2008 while
attending a Coast Guard Auxiliary function.

I was very touched and little teary eyed as I shared memories with Tim about his Dad and was even prouder that
I wear my dolphins daily (have gold necklace with them on also) to share with the world.

I am sending this along to all on our BBS in memory of Thomas Edward Hopely III USS DIABLO 52-55 and USSVI
member - "Sailor Rest Your Oar" our prayers to you and your family as you have entered you "Eternal Patrol"
and joined our every growing ranks of our departed shipmates.

Dick Jarenski
Tucson Arizona
Cdr/Secy USS STERLET (SS392) Association
VCDR White Mountain Base
MAD DOG
Posted 2008-05-08 7:17 PM (#15742 - in reply to #15730)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Why wear you dolphins in public - inspirational reason

My dolphins are like an American Express card.I don't leave home without them,
either on my belt buckle,shirt,hat ,or lapel.They are often a great conversation starter(except for the nuckleheads who ask"Were you an aviator?").LOL

Edited by MAD DOG 2008-05-09 1:10 AM
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-05-08 9:32 PM (#15743 - in reply to #15742)

Great Sage of the Sea

MAD DOG - 2008-05-08 7:17 PM

My dolphins are like an American Express card.I don't leave home without them,
either on my belt buckle,shirt,hat ,or lapel.They are often a great conversation starter(except for the nuckleheads who ask"Were you an aviator?".LOL

You can always say "No, I could spell my name correctly so they sent me to Submarine school!"

BB
subvetss
Posted 2008-05-09 6:25 AM (#15745 - in reply to #15730)
Senior Crew

I had these hats made over 10 years ago. There is also a white one. I have worn one every day since then. They were made by Bancroft in the US. Almost all the original posters on Rontini's board got one.
Note that they can attract some nice young things.
Joe'the'Most

(Resized Disney 1030.jpg)

(Resized Disney 1975.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments Resized Disney 1030.jpg (88KB - 705 downloads)
Attachments Resized Disney 1975.jpg (55KB - 735 downloads)
Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-05-09 6:33 AM (#15746 - in reply to #15745)

Master and Commander

Subject: Some need hats to attract the pretty young ones.....

....and some don't.

I will have to find out their secret also! LOL

Blue *_*

PS. I wear my Dolphins day and night....via a tattoo.
Bear
Posted 2008-05-09 8:22 AM (#15749 - in reply to #15730)

Great Sage of the Sea

hey Joe I can not help but notice someone has their trusty straw hat on the table though!

But the real reason for the post is that "Inquiring Minds want to know what the greenthing is in front of you on the table?

Have a good one. And if you ever need to replace one of those hats or add your name to it let me know

subvetss
Posted 2008-05-09 8:53 AM (#15750 - in reply to #15730)
Senior Crew

Hey Bear,
The straw hat is my brother's and the green thing is his flashlight.
Like I said the hats are made by Bancroft. They are the folks who supply the US Navy with hats. Unlike the hats made outside of our country they never wear out. I have 4 of them that have been washed many times and still in great shape. I'm 72 years old so they will probebly outlast me. Thanks for the offer though.
Joe'the'Most
Bear
Posted 2008-05-09 9:25 AM (#15751 - in reply to #15730)

Great Sage of the Sea

I know I use to use Bancroft for somethings mainly the garrison hats very few ball caps Richardson and PacHeadwear are nicer and Otto Cap even better. BTW it appears like so many of the wholesalers to military Bancroft is either gone or chnaged hands none of my numbers or internet numbers work for them Same with Best emblem where I got combat pins etc.

Just to show you all even young chicks dig dolphins (or wait a minute is Ken actually paying her to shake his hand) and before you all get excited and call the perv police picture is at SSB fund (which we do on Memorial Day at WalMart) and is of Ken Board our Sec. and he is a Peirce County Detective

(SSB Fundraisesm.jpg)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments SSB Fundraisesm.jpg (41KB - 707 downloads)
whalen
Posted 2008-05-09 8:19 PM (#15782 - in reply to #15745)

Great Sage of the Sea

Joe:

The young lady's shirt said: "Kissimmee Hooters"!

I hope you did.

whalen

BlackBeard
Posted 2008-05-09 8:34 PM (#15784 - in reply to #15782)

Great Sage of the Sea

Whalen, that was an excellent observation and I am ashamed that I didn't notice it first.

Nice job.

BB
Darrin
Posted 2008-05-10 5:06 AM (#15789 - in reply to #15730)

Great Sage of the Sea

Heck I am sure that he did thats why I didn't ask that question.. Hey Joe I should be down in the Ocala area in July, you want to get together for a beer???

Darrin
Keg
Posted 2008-05-10 5:42 AM (#15791 - in reply to #15745)
Mess cooking

subvetss - 2008-05-09 6:25 AM

I had these hats made over 10 years ago. There is also a white one. I have worn one every day since then. They were made by Bancroft in the US. Almost all the original posters on Rontini's board got one.
Note that they can attract some nice young things.
Joe'the'Most

10 years?? Damn, how the years fly by. How is Joey anyway? I still have 4 of the ones I ordered. They are great hats, 2 white and both blue styles. They last forever. One of the white ones is still wrapped. I did have 3 white but I gave one a away to a WWII Silversides vet over in Louisiana when I met him several years ago.

Keg
subvetss
Posted 2008-05-10 8:49 AM (#15797 - in reply to #15782)
Senior Crew

Because the 'Hat' seem to make me desirable to young things with perky attributes I thought I might spread myself around.
Joe'the'Most

(IM_A0220.JPG)

Attachments
----------------
Attachments IM_A0220.JPG (73KB - 715 downloads)
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software