Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The first Japanese prisoner of war captured by the Americans was Kazuo Sakamaki, an ensign in the Imperial Japanese Navy. He was captured on the morning of December 7, 1941. Sakamaki had set an explosive charge to destroy his disabled submarine, which had been trapped on Waimanalo Beach. When the explosives failed to go off, he swam to the bottom of the submarine to investigate the cause of the failure and became unconscious due to a lack of oxygen. Sakamaki was found by a Hawaiian soldier, David Akui, and was taken into military custody. When he awoke, he found himself in a hospital under American armed guard. After the war he returned to Japan and found work with the Toyota Motor Corporation before retiring in 1987. Sakamaki died on November 29, 1999, aged 81.
Officer Rank Question
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Thomas Courtien
Posted 2008-05-10 5:10 AM (#15790)
Master and Commander

Subject: Officer Rank Question

I tried to answer this by searching different phrases in google, lycos, yahoo; but no luck.

Someone asked me if officers who leave the service for the "ready reserve" are sometimes given the next rank as a title.

I believe ready reserves do not go to meetings, training, or get compensated.

Now if they were to be reactivated, they would revert to their last rank.

So, after 6 years a guy leaves the Navy as a Lt. but he has 3 years of ready reseve time due to his obligation. They make him a Lt. Commander. But if he was reactivated, he would be a Lt. again.

Roy Ator
Posted 2008-05-10 6:12 AM (#15792 - in reply to #15790)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Officer Rank Question

I don't know. I'm no expert on reserve programs as I was a straight coupled, black shoe, regular USN type. However, I see no useful porpose in such a phony scheme. I do know that it doesn't apply to reserve enlisted. Our daughter, MA2 Greer is in IRR status having completed all of her active duty requirements in the reserves (she is subject to recall). They certainly didn't offer her a 'frocked' paygrade/rate boost.

At the time of my retirement [30 June 73] my permanent paygrade was CWO-3. I was serving as an LDO(temporary). I was immediately transferred to the USN Retired list at the highest grade held 'for pay purposes' of O-3-E, LT. Thus my permanent rank is LT. I had a total of four years commissioned service out of 22 years active duty.
The Brat
Posted 2008-05-10 6:13 AM (#15793 - in reply to #15790)

Crew

Currently being in this classification (not as an officer, but as enlisted) I may be able to shed a little light.
First you have 2 catagories;
1. SELRES, which is Select Reserves who actually drill one weekend a month, and serve a minimum of 17 days active duty per year.
2. IRR, which is Individual Ready Reserve who are placed on an "inactive" list. No drilling, no 17 day requirement and no pay.

For active duty who transfer to SELRES, they transfer at the same RATE or RANK into a drilling reserve unit and must await promotion until the next cycle in which they would of been eligible had they stayed active and they must meet all the same requirements. (ie; pass advancement exams and/or be chosen by the board for advancement.

For active duty who transfer to the IRR:
a. enlisted transfer at the same paygrade last held while on active duty and remain ineligible for promotion for the remainder of their contract. (That's where I am until Aug 30, 2009)

b. Officers who transfer to IRR are under commission and can be selected for the next higher rank upon transfer to IRR IF they meet certain requirements and would of been eligible for promotion had they otherwise stayed on active duty. (I think this rule was the same when my dad retired some 30 yrs ago)
There is however, no guarentee a comissioned officer will be promototed to the next higher paygrade when they go IRR. It all depends on their service record, eligibility, and of course, who they know...........

Loophole: Both Enisted and Officers who transfer to IRR can voluntarily request 17 day AT orders (Active Training), where they would spend 2 weeks on some training mission and receive pay. This also puts them back in the advancement pool. You see a lot of enlisted who request 17 day AT orders during times when advancement exams are taking place. All they have to do is notify their NOSC (Naval Operational Support Center) that they will be on orders and wish to take the exam. If the NOSC gets their notice 8 weeks in advance, an advancement exam gets ordered for them.

Since Officers do not take exams, I'm not exactly sure how their promotion process works under this loophole, but I do know it can happen. Again, when it comes to Officers, a lot of it depends on who you know!

Hope this helps.

Edited by The Brat 2008-05-10 6:33 AM
Thomas Courtien
Posted 2008-05-10 8:58 AM (#15798 - in reply to #15790)
Master and Commander

Thanks for the answers.

Robin - I believe your "b" answer is what can happen.

Bob Melley
Posted 2008-05-12 11:42 AM (#15857 - in reply to #15790)
Old Salt

Tom:
I left active duty after 40 months, (OCS and 3 years active duty on DL) was LTjg, went into ready reserve, found a billet, unpaid, in IUWD 3-2, went to meetings, made LT after required time 4 years. Got Paid for 2 weeks in summer, did get "credit" for reserve service.....left IUWD 3-2 when I took new job.......Received Honorable Discharge after 12 years, active then ready reserve and 6 more years in S-2 reserve status....that help?????
Tincanman
SOB490
Posted 2008-05-12 12:53 PM (#15858 - in reply to #15790)

Old Salt

The "correct" answer depends on several factors.

LDOs such as Roy generally had different regulations than "unrestricted line" - i.e. "1100" officers.

Even then, the source of those "1100" officers ("1100" means unrestricted line) comes into play.

Some years ago, for example, USNA and Regular NROTC graduates received "regular" or "USN" ("1100") commissions while Contract NROTC and OCS graduates received "reserve" or "USNR" ("1105") commissions.

Technically, submarine qualified officers carried the designator "1120" or if USNR, then 1125 but I can't recall that actually being used during my career time.

Aviators were 1300 and then we got into all of the corps designations for EDO, Medical, Medical Support, Intelligence (1600 if memory serves me), cryptology, on and on.

I believe the complexity of designators was aimed at complying (read that to mean "evading") the intent of Congress with regard to the authorized strengths of the armed forces. But that is my own cynical observation, and may or may not be correct.

In any particular commission, the XX00 meant USN and XX05 meant USNR. The LDO numbering system was somewhat different and I don't recall all of those variations except that they tended to start with 6 and the last digit could be 1, 2, 3, 4, and perhaps even more. I remember serving with several LDOs who were coded 6302, for example. Or was it 6203?

The reason I belabor all of this info is that the designation (1100, 1105, 6302, etc) was tied to needs of the service as well as Congressional authorizations of manpower (or is it now PC to call it "personpower" or "he/she/power?"

Under the draft system (Universal Military Training Act) prior to the wonderful all-volunteer, don't even have to register anymore era, one's obligations could be satisfied in many combinations of ways involving active duty, active reserve, and inactive reserves.

I forget the exact number but it seems that perhaps the magic threshold was 6 -- and if one served 6 months on active duty, they had to serve 5-1/2 years in the active reserves. If one served 4 years active duty, then they had to serve 2 years in the inactive reserves. As I said, there was a matrix of combinations and permutations that would make a train system scheduler proud as punch to claim as his own.

As for officers "promotions" upon leaving the service, the only one I'm aware of applied to WWII-era officers and what is called their "tombstone" or "mailbox" promotions - i.e. the higher rank appeared on their tombstone and mailbox but amounted to little more.

The practice was to retire an officer who received a personal decoration under combat conditions - i.e. Legion of Merit with Combat V or higher to assimilate the next higher rank upon retirement. That "promotion" did not increase retirement pay or official status but it does account for the gaggle of Rear Admirals USN (ret) and Commodores USN (ret) that abounded for many years.

Edited by SOB490 2008-05-12 12:54 PM
Roy Ator
Posted 2008-05-12 1:57 PM (#15862 - in reply to #15858)

Great Sage of the Sea

For the record: As a CWO my designator was 7242 and as an LDO it was 6151. Both had to do with Ordnance Control. I don't even want to get into the changing of serial numbers...and then there were lineal numbers as well.
SOB490
Posted 2008-05-13 12:15 AM (#15876 - in reply to #15862)

Old Salt

>>>I don't even want to get into the changing of serial numbers...and then there were lineal numbers as well.

Oh, good gravy, Roy! You know what that was all about -- more numbers to keep hundreds of GS-type sandcrabs employed tracking all the numbers, nothing more.

Once I got my O "file number" I needed my enlisted serial number only once - to get some porkchop squared away on my pay grade of O-1-E -- which, as you know, that "E" made one helluva difference $$-wise every 1st and 15th. I still remember both numbers, even if I can't remember whether I had dinner tonight, let alone what it might have been. But I'm not hungry so it must have been something.

Yes, the lineal number - something neither you nor I ever had to worry about - it was the "precedence list" that all of the O-5s and up sweated as to who got to go into port first on Friday afternoon ... but us lowly types worried as much about "seniority" as we did about who the next king of Slobbovia might be. Besides, we already knew the answer to the seniority riddle.

Edited by SOB490 2008-05-13 12:19 AM
Bob Melley
Posted 2008-05-13 11:38 AM (#15891 - in reply to #15790)
Old Salt

Roy:
Six digit number was individual officer's serial number, had to do with commissioning date etc.....
four digit number was the service code....i.e., 1100 was reg. navy surface line officer, 1105 was USNR surface line officer.
Example, mine was 643xxx/1105.....then, they eventually they went to Social Sec numbers......?????????PIA.
Tincanman
Roy Ator
Posted 2008-05-13 11:54 AM (#15892 - in reply to #15891)

Great Sage of the Sea

I had three (3) [or was it four] different serial numbers prior to going to the SSAN.
Enlisted, warrant, Chief Warrant were all different. I remember the first & the final only. Others require a "look up".
CRS don'tcha know... Now they are issuing ID cards without a visable SSAN.

With four years commissioned service in four different paygrades, I did have some exposure.
SOB490
Posted 2008-05-14 12:53 AM (#15911 - in reply to #15892)

Old Salt

Uh, Roy - wasn't "exposure" a violation of Article 117?

Edited by SOB490 2008-05-14 12:56 AM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software