Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The USS SEAWOLF join the Electric Boat built USS NAUTILUS and SKATE in writing new chapters in the achievements of man when the nuclear powered submarine came to the surface at 11:45 a.m. on October 6, 1958 after being continuously submerged for 60 days.
Michael Geletka, ENC(SS) - Eternal Patrol
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

PatH
Posted 2008-05-10 6:15 PM (#15813)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: Michael Geletka, ENC(SS) - Eternal Patrol

Shipmates, we lost a WWII hero this day in Michael Geletka, ENC(SS). Mike made five war patrols in the legendary USS Harder (SS 257), being temporarily assigned to RC-121 for a rest while Harder went on her sixth patrol.  Harder made her last dive that patrol in a knife fight with a Japanese Destroyer near Dasol Bay, PI, witnessed by USS Hake.  Harder's skipper, Sam Dealey, was celebrated as the "Destroyer Killer."

In Mike's own words, "Three things I won't forget: 1) being caught in a minefield off the coast of Japan, 2) sinking 5 Destroyers off Tawi-Tawi and 3) the blowing up of a destroyer over our heads at 90 feet; what an awakening that was. We moved the Japanese Fleet out of that area 20 hours ahead of time. We rescued 6 Australian soldiers from North Borneo." "I made 8 Patrol Runs during the war. I received the fol lowing medals and ribbons: Combat Pin , Navy Presiden tial Unit Citation, Philippine Presidential Citation , Antarctic Service Medal, Good Conduct Medal (with 5 Bronze Stars), American Defense Service Medal, American Campaign Medal (with Letter A), Europe-Africa-Middle East Medal, Asiatic Pacific Campaign Medal (with 5 Stars), Philippine Liberation Medal, WWII Victory Medal, National Defense Medal, Combat Action Medal, and China Service Medal."

Mike was very active in SVWWII and was their Memorabilia Director for many years. He also belonged to USSVI, Thresher Base.

Rest in Peace, Honored Shipmate, and thank you for your service to us all.

Where do we get such men...

http://www.thresherbase.org/Biographies_HTML/Geletka_bio.htm

Edited by PatH 2008-05-10 6:16 PM
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-05-10 9:28 PM (#15815 - in reply to #15813)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Michael Geletka, ENC(SS) - Eternal Patrol

Mike also served aboard the USS Sennet SS-408 during 1946.
Sailor Rest Your Oars And Go With The Lord.
Thank you, Mike, for your Service and Dedication.
HAND SALUTE!!
TWO!!
Corabelle
Posted 2008-05-10 10:55 PM (#15819 - in reply to #15813)

COMSUBBBS

What a blow! I feel like I knew him personally, even though we never met. I ordered many patches, stars & pins from him, for two shadow boxes, and also for Elmer's uniform. When we wrote to the Department of the Navy for all the medals, ribbons, patches and pins that Elmer had earned, we got everything except for the diesel boat Combat Patrol Pin. We were told that this pin was no longer available. Before and after that, I had purchased a total of three Combat Patrol Pins from Michael Geletka. I joked that I had better resources than the Navy! How will anyone get that pin now?

Mr. Geletka knew several of Elmer's Sterlet shipmates, and gave me updates on them at different times.

I both wrote and phoned Mike. Several times. I have lost a friend.

I located Mike through another Mike - or Mickey. I found Mickey Skurat on the Internet. He wrote a history of the "World War II Diesel Boat Era," plainly enough that even I could understand it.

Fair winds and following seas Michael.

Cora

Edited by Corabelle 2008-05-12 9:23 AM
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-05-11 5:55 AM (#15822 - in reply to #15813)

COMSUBBBS

In life you come across very few people who play in Mike's league. I would like to give you a small story illustrating what I mean and indicative of the man. Ten years ago a lad who worked in an organization that reported to me came into my office and said,"Mr. Armstrong, they tell me you were in Navy submarines." "That's right...many, many years ago." "Were you in World War Two?" "No..no...But the men who were, were why I joined...They were and still are my heroes." "My uncle was in submarines...My Mothe Dora's brother." He handed me two documents...The first was a telegram anouncing that the USS SWORDFISH failed to make her ETA at Midway and had not been heard from. The other document was a form letter from the Department of the Navy, bearing a James Forrestal facimile signature stating that since the end of the War that the Allied Forces had examined the wartime records of the Empire of Japan and that a thorough inspection of Japanese POW records had not turned up the names of any of the crew of the USS SAILFISH...therefore effectively immediately the officers and men would be considered dead (lost at sea) and all pay,allowances and benefits would cease as of the date of this correspondence. The letter contained very little in the way of appreciation for his service or the the pain caused his family by his loss...There was a line that read something li8ke "The Secretary of the Navy regrets the loss of (name typed in) the officers and men of the (name of boat typed in)." The letter had been read and reread so many times over the years that the back was covered in yellowed Scotch tape to keep it from falling apart. That was the sum total of what the family had for the fellow's wartime service. They had no medals....no ribbons...they had one old photo taken when he was home on leave...showing him next to a Southern Maryland tobacco barn badly in need of repair...he was smoking a cigarette and wearing a right arm rate Second Class crow and wearing a sewn on set of WWII cuff Dolphins. I phoned Ron Martini, the master wizard and one man clearing house for information on where to locate submarine stuff...and found how to locate a photo of SWORDFISH and bought several ship's patches that believe it or not are still available through Grogan........Then I called Mike and wondered if I could order a set of wartime cloth Dolphins, a Submarine Combat Patrol pin...nobody knew how many patrols he made but prior to riding SWORDFISH he rode the ARCHERFISH....I took the liberty of filling all the "patrol star holes"(for lack of the proper term) and I asked if I could order miniture Purple Hearts for all of his neices, nephews and surviving sister, Dora. My wife and I later had our framing shop mat and frame a copy of his photo, the photo of his ship, Ron pointed out how to get...his cloth Dolphins, patrol pin, minature Purple Heart and his SWORDFISH ship's patch. Two weeks later another envelope arrived postmarked Maine and bearing Mike's return address.....Inside was a full size Purple Heart medal, in a leather case and a letter addressed to Dora...It read something like this..."Dora Darling, Please accept this long overdue token for the servi8ce and sacrifice of one of our own. Without knowing it, you and your dear family have ALWAYS been a part of the Submarine Community. It was just that we lost you for a while. Now that you have been found, know that all of us honor the courage and sacrifice of your Brother and join in presenting you the precious decoration he earned." Guns Mendleson and Admiral "K" (Big Al the Sailor's Pal) presented it to Dora at a memorial service in Arlington National Cemetery. Mike ordered and paid for that medal out of his own pocket...I* am told that one every Memorial Day...the entire family wears their medals ...that day and the following Sunday to church......Mike's medal is called the BIG ONE because all the others have minatures. Dora's daughter told me that one year her Mother was hospitalized and the daughter got to werar the BIG ONE to church. Every year Mike's gift tolls a silent bell for a lost submariner....Gentlemen and Ladies, God shared a fine man with us and has returned him to an eternal life he so richly deserves and earned through a lifetime of selfless service to mankind's finest ideal. God Bless You, MIKE....Proud to have been your friend DEX
Warshot
Posted 2008-05-11 8:16 AM (#15823 - in reply to #15822)
WWII Sub Vet

I got to know Mike pretty well over the years.

There has never been a nicer or harder working Submariner born than Mike Galetka.

Thanks Mike for all your service both during WWll and afterwards for SubVets WWll.

Ron "Warshot" Smith
PaulR
Posted 2008-05-11 1:02 PM (#15831 - in reply to #15813)

Master and Commander

It's irony that just yesterday, I had a discussion with Matt Schmitz about our mutually pleasant experiences with Mike over the years.  I first met him in Hagarstown in 1997.

So sad to hear that he Sailed On Eternal Patrol.

Sailor, Rest Your Oar.

Park Dallis
Posted 2008-05-12 3:29 AM (#15836 - in reply to #15813)

Old Salt

I have also dealt with Mike over the years.

He was a gentleman of the first order.

Fair winds and following seas, Mike.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software