Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: USS SKATE and USS SEADRAGON, after affecting a historic rendezvous under the ice, surfaced together at the North Pole through an opening in the ice on August 1962. What really happened: We didn't surface together, Skate surfaced first. Then we (Seadragon) fired yellow flares forward and aft so Skate could tell us how we were lined up. Remember, under-ice was primitive in these days. Skate called back down rapidly that one flare surfaced on her starboard side and the other to port. She requested we reposition before vertical surfacing. We did. - Coyote (Owen Carlson)
Food for thought..
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Darrin
Posted 2008-05-12 5:00 AM (#15839)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: Food for thought..

Everyone knows about Mothers day and of course Fathers day.... But when is Single parent day????

To me it is funny that there isn't one even though women AND men raise kids everyday by themselves and no one pays attention to the hardest working parents of them all. No one sits there with the dad and tells them how to handle little susy's new "female problem" or shows them how to pick out skirts and dresses for their daughters nor does anyone show them how to put on make up for the first time at home, if they are lucky enough the have a female neighbor that will help or a quick phone call to Grandma might help.

We are those who raise their kids by themselves making sure that homework is done and food is on the table at a reasonable hour and who takes them to all of their sports activities so that they will have a "normal" life, we make sure that they brush their teeth at night before going to bed and make sure that they are ready for school in the morning. And make sure that they have done their homework and have it with them and that they are taught manners at home and are polite to others.

We ask for nothing from others because it is our job to raise our kid(s) by ourselves and while sometimes we wish that we had a significant other and most of us realize that we are happier and our kid(s) are happier without the other parent living with us.

We just like the rest of the parent of the world watch our kids grow up and become men and women, but for us there isn't anymore going out with the guys or girls just because we want to or feel that we "need to". Those whom are single parents the only time that we get a break is when other single parents or others are nice enough to have a sleep over so we can go and relax for just one night to ourselves.

To all of the single parents out there raising their kids by themselves I say thank you, thank you for raising PJ, Robbie, Alexis, Samantha, Derrik and all of the others by yourselves for you truly have the toughest job.

Darrin
A proud single dad
Jim M.
Posted 2008-05-12 7:13 AM (#15840 - in reply to #15839)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: Food for thought..

And to my wife, before I married her, for raising our son Hylton...

Thank you..
TSpoon
Posted 2008-05-12 8:01 AM (#15841 - in reply to #15839)
Great Sage of the Sea

Is not a 'single Mom' a Mother and a 'single Dad' a Father?

You have your days, guess it just depends on your perspective of life.

T.Spoon, DBF
Corabelle
Posted 2008-05-12 9:37 AM (#15848 - in reply to #15841)

COMSUBBBS

I agree.

"Your day," Darrin, is called "Father's Day."

You are doing what single women have done for decades. Good on ya!

Cora
Darrin
Posted 2008-05-12 2:14 PM (#15863 - in reply to #15839)

Great Sage of the Sea

While I can agree with I have Fathers day,
you don't have to look into the eyes of your 5 year old little boy whom is the pride of your life and tell them that we aren't celebrating mothers day here because his mother lives with another man. You don't have to hear your little one tell you that he is giving his soccer trophy to his mom even though she never did anything to show her support of him and was only able to come to half of his final soccer game. You don't have to get ready for Christmas or any other holiday and then take him to his mom's house as soon as presents have been opened that way she can have "her" time also.

No sir and ma'am I don't have to like to go to the store at mothers day and spend money on her so my son can give her a card or something else to a woman whom I cannot stand to be around let alone look at, no sir no ma'am I don't have to like to be reminded for weeks prior to mothers day that it is coming up because for me I am his mom and his dad, I am the one who he goes to when he has fallen and scraped his knee or when he has a cold, I am the one that makes sure that he is properly taken care of everyday, I am the one who is there to teach him right from wrong and when the teachers need to have a conference I am the one that is called.

Try being a single parent in todays society, when the school wants to recognize the parents of the students and they ask for the mother and father to come up and only one comes up and you hear the other parents sigh under their breathes and quitely say that he or she is a single parent and how sad that is. To hear other parents complain about how little time that they have on their hands is a hoot because you ask them what their significant other does and they give a lame excuse and then tell them oh by the way I am a single dad only to have them tell you that they would have never have guessed that because of the way my little boy acts and how well he is adjusted in life, and they can't understand how I am able to do it. I do it because my son is my life and I am his dad, I have had the choice of giving him up to his mother but I want him raised right unlike his brothers whom she cut me off at the knees at every turn when I tried to raise them right and make them respectful and active members of society and not some couch potato who wants everything given to them and complain when they don't get it.

No sir, ma'am I don't celebrate mothers day in my home and btw I did call my mom and wish her a happy mothers day at least she was able to enjoy it. One day those whom have taken on the challenge of raising tomorrows leaders by themselves will be recognized for their hard work and determination to making sure that their child is raised as well if not better then those who have two parents at home.

Darrin
Darrin
Posted 2008-05-12 2:29 PM (#15866 - in reply to #15839)

Great Sage of the Sea

TSpoon and Cora I am not mad at you and I understand your comments, IF I offended you with my reply I do apologize for that and yes I know that women have heard that same thing for years and it is sad to me that they have not been recognized either for the hard work that goes into raising their kids by themselves.

While the world is not perfect and never be by any means it would be nice for those whom have come before me and those that will come after me to be told thank you for your hard work because most people couldn't do it by themselves.

The folks that have done the Torsk Work Weekend the last 4 years can tell you the difference between my step kids and my son PJ, while PJ has yet to do a work weekend (due to only being 5) he has worked on the boat one weekend already and they were completely amazed in the differnce between the way that he acts and the way that his brothers acted when they were onboard for two different work weekends. It was a running joke that weekend that PJ was going to start giving better tours then the Docents because he asked so many questions from the bandits and then was able to tell the tourista's the right answer when they asked a question about what component that they were looking at.

Yes sir and ma'am I am a proud dad who wouldn't change my life and how I am raising my son one little bit.

Darrin
TSpoon
Posted 2008-05-12 2:38 PM (#15867 - in reply to #15839)
Great Sage of the Sea

Darrin,
No offense taken, I know you are just venting as they say.

My hat is off to any and all single parents especially those who do not have the help of the other parent. What Cora and I were trying to say is that you should never feel as if you are not a FATHER to your kids. You are more FATHER than most in two parent homes and even a MOTHER to the kids. That is more than most of us can say plus you deserve to celebrate both holidays.

So, please give your kids a Submarine Hug and be thankful they are healthy.

T.Spoon, DBF
Darrin
Posted 2008-05-12 4:19 PM (#15870 - in reply to #15839)

Great Sage of the Sea

I know that Tim and I appreciate the heart felt hug for my son, it is nice to know that people do care but like I have said the single parents have one of the toughest jobs in the world and honestly just once when it comes to the Army letting people off of duty for their birthday or their anniversary it would be nice for the Military to just set down and stop for one day and thank those who give their all for our country and are able to raise their son or daughter by themselves.

If you set and think about it when was the last time you heard anyone thanking those who raise our youth by themselves??? That my friend is true food for thought, but then again the voltures would turn that day of thanks into another day of "discounts" at the supermarkets and the shopping malls just like they have with every other thing that we used to hold sacred to our hearts like memorial day and veterans day and the rest of the holidays. So maybe that is a bad idea after all

Darrin
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-05-12 5:51 PM (#15871 - in reply to #15839)
COMSUBBBS

Yeah, food for thought for sure. What is it we are looking for? Recognition from others, or , the joy you see in the childrens eyes and the thanks they give you with a big hug.
I've been blessed with a wonderful wife. I was married once before. Two great "kids" and two wonderful Grandkids. The love that we all share with each other everyday makes everyday a Father's Day for me. I don't need a special day singled out.
Being a single parent is a tough job, as I can only imagine. As long as you can go to bed at night and KNOW that you have given them your best is what's important. Kids, whether they are 5 or 35, know when you do what's best by the example you show and give.
Good onya, Darrin!
Darrin
Posted 2008-05-12 6:22 PM (#15872 - in reply to #15839)

Great Sage of the Sea

Ralph,
I don't want the recognition for myself it is for the other single parents in the world whom do this everyday and don't get any recognition, thats all. I do get a lot of support from other single parents and from other parents in my neighborhood. Tomorrow do me a favor if you know a single parent thank them for the hard work that they do in raising their kids and trying to be a productive member in society.

Darrin
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-05-12 6:22 PM (#15873 - in reply to #15870)

Great Sage of the Sea

Darrin - 2008-05-12 4:19 PM

If you set and think about it when was the last time you heard anyone thanking those who raise our youth by themselves??? That my friend is true food for thought, but then again the voltures would turn that day of thanks into another day of "discounts" at the supermarkets and the shopping malls just like they have with every other thing that we used to hold sacred to our hearts like memorial day and veterans day and the rest of the holidays. So maybe that is a bad idea after all

Darrin

I could say thank you, I could take you out for a beer or buy you a steak. Hallmark could soak up your kids allowance on a card you'll lose in a few years.
The thank-you you will receive is far more valuable and permanent. When your children grow to be strong, honest, good individuals. When you see them do something without hesitation that expresses the values you taught them through many tough and tearful lessons.
When you see that they have become better than you in the best ways.
And most of all, when they are older, and out of the blue and for no particular reason they let you know how much they love and appreciate what you did.
It is worth more than all the gold in the world and all the routine and insincere thanks you might get generated by Hallmark or Walmart.
You are doing a job that is more important than almost any other. You are forming lives. You have to be patient for the results, but when they come they will be far greater than anything strangers could give.

Of course, just my $.02

BB

Edited by BlackBeard 2008-05-12 8:10 PM
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-05-13 5:45 AM (#15882 - in reply to #15839)
COMSUBBBS

Thanks Darrin! My daughter, Lori, is a single parent and is doing a GREAT job with her two, Sierra and Shane Brody. Her slacker of an X-husband is about a nonfactor in the kids lives. This past week he has been kept fed and dry in the county big house for nonsupport.
Blue is another single parent and is doing a good job with his two, Pamela and Daniel, as my wife, Sharon, and I saw while visiting in Oz. We know of a couple others here locally.
The sign of the times looks like this will be an increasing situation in our society. As you know, in order to get favorable recognition you need to put forth a favorable effort. No one said it's easy but it's there if they work at it.
Cheers
Darrin
Posted 2008-05-13 2:35 PM (#15895 - in reply to #15839)

Great Sage of the Sea

Your welcome Ralph and give your daughter a big hug for me and tell her that I am proud of her for what she is doing, I knew that Blue had one son I didn't however know that he was raising a daughter also, good on ya Blue for making a go of it mate.. Black Beard, I will however take you up on the steak and beer offer and yes you and others here are right about watching the kids grow up knowing that they are respectful and are productive in life and not some slacker living off of welfare and not wanting to do anything with their lives is more then worth a card from Hallmark.
I get filled with pride everytime that my son tells me that he loves me and when he does good I swell up even bigger and when he falls I pick him up and tell him that I am not mad and that he just needs to pay attention a little bit more and everything will be fine because I am not mad at him.
I am sure that I am not the only one who is filled with pride when looking at their kids and I thank you all for your comments and support, one day our little ones will grow up and show us that we raised them right and that the pride that we knew before was nothing compared to the pride of seeing them have good lives and raise good families.

Darrin
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-05-13 5:01 PM (#15898 - in reply to #15839)

Great Sage of the Sea

Amen. I made reservations at the local steak house for 19:00, don't be late!

BB
Darrin
Posted 2008-05-13 6:00 PM (#15901 - in reply to #15839)

Great Sage of the Sea

When and where, if it is tomorrow I have to take a rain check because I won't be back home until sometime around then due to being in Norfolk and Fort Story on Army buisness, sorry shipmate. BTW it would also be nice if you were close enough for me to make that time and place
But if you are able to make it to Torsk for the Work Weekend in October I am sure that I will buy you the first one, right now I am scheduled to be there for my 5th year and for me it is one of the highlights of my year.
Take care one and all and make it a point to thank those whom are single parents whom are raising their kids right without help of a significant other to help them, because I am sure that they don't hear it often enough or at all.

Darrin
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-05-13 11:15 PM (#15909 - in reply to #15901)

Great Sage of the Sea

Good for you re. the Torsk.
Sorry, I'm just a bit outside Death Valley so you missed it. But it was good, I ate your dessert!
Actually I spent the evening out at the ballfield. Although my kids are long gone on their own and scattered about, I continue to coach softball. My season is over (I coach JV High School now) but I still go watch my private students play. I also check out the players that are moving up to High School next year. I watch them at their practices and games to gather insight into their work habits, what drives them, and what we will need to work on in the next year. They all become my kids and I do what I can to teach them the values that will help them grow to be good people.
Parenting, teaching, mentoring. These things never stop and always come back to you if you put your heart into it.

BB

Edited by BlackBeard 2008-05-13 11:16 PM
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software