Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "Submarines Forever, Forever a Submariner" - Mike Hemming
A tribute to Shelton Doyle Blalock, my grandfather
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

snakeyez
Posted 2008-05-13 8:18 PM (#15905)

Senior Crew

Subject: A tribute to Shelton Doyle Blalock, my grandfather

It's been a year in the making. This is my tribute to my grandfather Shelton Doyle Blalock. The link below is a pictorial overview of his entire life. It's tremendous! Very graphic intensive - doesn't play well with dialup.

http://www.snakeyez.us/blalock.html

So many words describe him....son, brother, sailor, shipmate, submariner, war hero, veteran, husband, mailman, father, gardener, rockhound, geologist, archaeologist, artist, artisan, hunter, fisherman, volunteer, entertainer, grandfather, and friend.

Take the time to look over the following webpage. There is an entire page devoted to his submarine career in WWII, and nearly every picture you see is a picture that he or a friend or family member took. This is never seen before stuff.

http://www.snakeyez.us/blalock.html

Share your comments. And thank you all, for nearly a year ago I barely knew what a submarine was.
Skii
Posted 2008-05-13 8:35 PM (#15906 - in reply to #15905)

Great Sage of the Sea

Subject: RE: A tribute to Shelton Doyle Blalock, my grandfather

What a Labor of Love. I understand the message you are trying to convey "If You Give Love"
"You Get Love" and your paw paw gave you and your family much love to have you do such
a tribute to him and his beloved Lodena. I can't give you enough thanks or blessings for sharing
this with all that will take the time to view each Chapter and know the legacy left behind for
a loving grandson to share with those he left behind.

We are a "Last Man Standing" Organization, but with a generation like yours sharing our legacy
we will stand tall for many more years to come.

Thank You for this fine tribute to your grandad.

Dick Jarenski
Cdr/Secy USS Sterlet (SS32) Assn
Vice Cdr White Mountain Base
Park Dallis
Posted 2008-05-13 10:00 PM (#15907 - in reply to #15905)

Old Salt

Very nicely done, Lance. A great tribute to your PaPaw.  I'm sure he was proud of you.
snakeyez
Posted 2008-05-14 5:21 AM (#15915 - in reply to #15905)

Senior Crew

When he passed away in 1997, it seems the internet was just starting to really take off. I bet he never dreamed he'd have his own place on the web!

I meant to ask this in my original post - take a look at that shadowbox picture. I found that ceramic fish stuffed away in a box. I thought it looked like mahi-mahi, a dolphin fish, something that would be special to a submariner. What do you guys think? I wonder if it was possible he bought it in Hawaii way back long ago?
dex armstrong
Posted 2008-05-14 10:07 AM (#15924 - in reply to #15905)

COMSUBBBS

The only true imortality is in being remembered. Your beautifully crafted tribute certainly gives this obviously worthwhile life meaning and purpose. Someone once said that footprints on the sand eventually fade...fill in and disappear, but lives lived by honorable men live on as examples to those who have the good sense to use them in mapping the future. Every grandfather should be given the gift of a grandson like you to remember him the way you have your grandfather. DEX
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software