Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "I believe it is the duty of every man to act as though the fate of the world depends on them. Surely no one man can do it all. But, one man CAN make a difference.” -- Adm. Hymen Rickover
Question for the motorcycle folks
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

The Brat
Posted 2008-05-17 3:38 PM (#16007)

Crew

Subject: Question for the motorcycle folks

My daughter and I just returned home from a shopping trip to Weatherford; a mid sized town about 28 miles east of us. We were driving west on I-20 and began to notice what appeared to be "bikers" standing on some of the overpasses. By the third overpass, it was obvious they were watching for something that was coming from the west. They had American and POW/MIA flags that they were waiving, and even had a sign hanging over one of the bridges, but all I could make out in my rearview mirror was "Texas welcomes.............". Then, about a mile later, we saw what they were obviously waiting to pass under them. Hundreds and hundreds of bikers, all headed east. Some of the bikes had trailers in tow and the majority of them were decorated with American and POW flags.

There has been no media attention that I am aware of telling of any rallies. Do any of you guys have a clue as to who these folks are, and where they're headed? I have never seen a parade of bikes that long in my life. Must of stretched 2 to 3 miles and all were traveling 2 by 2 at highway speed. It was a beautiful sight seeing all those flags rolling down I-20 for sure!!
Stoops
Posted 2008-05-17 4:06 PM (#16009 - in reply to #16007)
Master and Commander

Subject: RE: Question for the motorcycle folks

I'd guess it was the Patriot Riders but have no idea who they were respecting...maybe they have a website you can check.....

It's kinda nice about Texas and Texans..........just chock full of patriotism and pride.....let me know if you find out anything.....

Sorry I missed your brief visit to Galveston....hope the cruise was good.

Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-05-17 5:01 PM (#16010 - in reply to #16007)

Master and Commander

The Brat - 2008-05-17 4:38 PM

My daughter and I just returned home from a shopping trip to Weatherford; a mid sized town about 28 miles east of us. We were driving west on I-20 and began to notice what appeared to be "bikers" standing on some of the overpasses. By the third overpass, it was obvious they were watching for something that was coming from the west. They had American and POW/MIA flags that they were waiving, and even had a sign hanging over one of the bridges, but all I could make out in my rearview mirror was "Texas welcomes.............". Then, about a mile later, we saw what they were obviously waiting to pass under them. Hundreds and hundreds of bikers, all headed east. Some of the bikes had trailers in tow and the majority of them were decorated with American and POW flags.

It's "Rolling Thunder". They are on their way to Washington D.C. for Memorial Day and a visit to the Viet Nam wall.
If my leg was healed I'd be traveling there this year too. Maybe next year.

There has been no media attention that I am aware of telling of any rallies. Do any of you guys have a clue as to who these folks are, and where they're headed? I have never seen a parade of bikes that long in my life. Must of stretched 2 to 3 miles and all were traveling 2 by 2 at highway speed. It was a beautiful sight seeing all those flags rolling down I-20 for sure!!

It's "Rolling Thunder". They are on their way to Washington D.C. for Memorial Day and a visit to the Viet Nam wall.
If my leg was healed I'd be traveling there this year too. Maybe next year.

Edited by Doc Gardner 2008-05-17 5:01 PM
miss lumpy bumps
Posted 2008-05-17 5:48 PM (#16011 - in reply to #16007)

COMSUBBBS

It is also "ARMED FORCES DAY" today. We had scads of groups out today up here...the one good thing about it...not a "protester" in sight!

Bear
Posted 2008-05-17 7:55 PM (#16017 - in reply to #16007)

Great Sage of the Sea

I will see if Pat or someone has pictures of Armed Forces Day Parade here in Bremerton  I intended to attend but did not feel well enough to go, which is the pits first time in years I was not working.
Runner485
Posted 2008-05-18 6:07 AM (#16025 - in reply to #16017)

COMSUBBBS

Yep! Doc is right. It's Rolling Thunder heading twoards DC for the Memorial Weekend. Saw it on TV last night!!!
subvetss
Posted 2008-05-18 6:27 AM (#16026 - in reply to #16025)
Senior Crew

Next weekend there will be a parade and service in Stuart Fl. honoring the Fallen veterans. We, vets in this area, recieved word that that radical hate group that protests at veterans funerals will be in attendance doing there thing.
Joe'the' Most
SOB490
Posted 2008-05-18 12:57 PM (#16032 - in reply to #16026)

Old Salt

>>>received word that that radical hate group that protests at veterans funerals will be in attendance doing there thing.

Joe - I sure hope folks down there go out of their way to make these folks feel welcome - REAL welcome!
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software