Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: The first boat known to have been navigated under water was built in 1620 by a Dutchman, Cornelius Van Drebbel. Van Drebbel is said to have developed a chemical which would purify the air and allow the crew to stay submerged for extended periods.
Hey Retired guys; is this true? (marginally sub related)
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-05-19 7:30 AM (#16046)

Master and Commander

Subject: Hey Retired guys; is this true? (marginally sub related)

Retirement

I've often been asked, 'What do you old guys do now that you're retired?' Well, I have a friend who has a chemical engineering background and one of the things we enjoy most is turning beer, bourbon, and martinis into urine.

And, we're pretty damn good at it!!'

Edited by Doc Gardner 2008-05-19 7:32 AM
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-05-19 10:46 AM (#16052 - in reply to #16046)
COMSUBBBS

Subject: RE: Hey Retired guys; is this true? (marginally sub related)

As I've been led to believe, too much of a good thing ain't quite right. So, it is best for all concerned to spread it around a bit. Trouble now is my waistline is spreading a bit in a direction that seems to be tough to control.
My wife is a great cook. I thought that maybe it was her good cooking and multiple helpings at dinner time was causing an expansion of the waist. We commenced eating out at various eating establishments. Low and behold that was a wrong way to go. More expansion! Decided what was required is to reduce the number of spoon and forkfuls.
So Doc, you might consider smaller glasses. No, not those things on your face, damnit, those containers for your beverages. Cheeez, these Marines, send them to school, buy them books---well, you guys know the drill.
Runner485
Posted 2008-05-19 11:27 AM (#16053 - in reply to #16052)

COMSUBBBS

Ralph, we in the Roche household call what your doing 'portion control'. Less in your plate than you normally would take. Believe me it doesn't work!!!! I find myself taking 3 or 4 of those itty bitty portion control servings.

But in all seriousness, what I find that helps me is that I walk 3-4 miles a day, a minimum of 4 times a week. Preferrably 5 times a week. Then I can eat the 3-4 itty bitty portion control servings...without any adverse effects.

And Doc. I understand you already have your MBA in chem eng and are pretty close to a PHD....Keep up the studying and you';ll make it fer sure!    
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-05-19 3:18 PM (#16058 - in reply to #16046)
COMSUBBBS

Joe, I've got a black lab that cold noses me every morning if I happen to linger to long between the covers. Generally, I'm up around 0430, at least by 0500. At 0501 she gives my the cold nose and we are out walking the streets by 0545. This is a 7 day/wk stroll.
Yep, I have a street walker for a pet. Trouble is she has 4 legs and my 2 legs have rouble at times keeping up the pace.
Now, 40 years ago I could have kept pace with a 2 legged street walker. How time does take its toll.
Coyote
Posted 2008-05-19 7:53 PM (#16060 - in reply to #16046)

Master and Commander

In Wisconsin, beer is food.

So are the olives and that clear sauce they come in.

Can't justify bourbon as food, but I drink Blanton's anyway.

Coyote
Doc Gardner
Posted 2008-05-20 1:48 AM (#16062 - in reply to #16058)

Master and Commander

Subject: Careful Ralph

Ralph:
Be careful with that 0430 dog walking. That's been my routine for years also and look where it landed me; i.e. on my butt with a couple pounds of titanium in my leg. Those dogs are all involved in the conspiracy to keep us close to home. I swear my wife (RN) has trained the dog to be my private duty nurse so she doesn't have to deal with me.
Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2008-05-20 2:34 AM (#16064 - in reply to #16046)
Master and Commander

The Australian Shepard and the Airdale have a one acre fenced back yard. They still insist I am up by five, just in case those squirrels are out there. With the copper and air conditioner theft around here, I have threatened the two of them with spending the whole night outside. They are hitting air conditioners at churchs like there isn't an easier target. Only cut out the copper coils. Remember, it is good to flush the kidneys. Helps control the stones.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-05-20 5:40 AM (#16069 - in reply to #16046)
COMSUBBBS

Doc, I know you can search through those memory banks of yours and recall that we don't have that crap you call ice & snow here in Charleston. Well, maybe once in a great while. My Lab, jessie, is rather laid back a bit and the sight of snow and ice causes her to sleep in on those mornings.
Donald L. Johnson
Posted 2008-05-20 12:23 PM (#16079 - in reply to #16069)

Great Sage of the Sea

Ralph Luther - 2008-05-20 3:40 AM

Doc, I know you can search through those memory banks of yours and recall that we don't have that crap you call ice & snow here in Charleston. Well, maybe once in a great while. My Lab, jessie, is rather laid back a bit and the sight of snow and ice causes her to sleep in on those mornings.

Must be that "global warming" in action. When I was on the 622B out of Charleston in 79-82, we had snow every winter. Lasted about 3 days each time, but still.....

Sure glad my Dad took me up to the Sierras to learn to drive in snow.
Sure was fun watching them Carolina cowboys slide off the road into the almost-frozen swamps.
Almost as much fun helping them get back on the road after we were done laughing.
(I carried 50 feet of chain, 4 bags of sand, and a couple 4x6 planks in the back of my 1977 E-150 van for such occasions).

Sewer Pipe Snipe
Posted 2008-05-21 2:16 AM (#16086 - in reply to #16046)
Master and Commander

You should have seen it in 72. Three inches of ice with five inches of snow on top. The body shops were busy until June. Gotta love Charleston. The bridge over the rail tracks on Rivers Avenue was some fun. A train was stuck across the avenue. The cars would crest the bridge, see the train and go into a wild skid, usually resulting in damage. This with the cops putting flares out on the far side of the bridge.
Ralph Luther
Posted 2008-05-21 7:32 AM (#16092 - in reply to #16046)
COMSUBBBS

That particular snow storm was in '73 and I am personally responsible for it because I dragged it all the way from Denver in my 18 wheeler. The day before I left Denver it was sunny and warm. Can't remeber the exact date, but, it was in February around the 18th.
The next day when I left it was freezing rain turning to snow. East Bound and down on I-70 trying like hell to out run it. Surely should by the time I get to KC---WRONG--surely by the time I reach Nashville---WRONG-- and so on all the way to Chasn. Had some real good highway meds back in those days.
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software