Reunion Info
Books/Video
Binnacle List (offsite)
History
Boat Websites
Links
Bottom Gun BBS
Search | Statistics | User listing Forums | Calendars | Quotes |
You are logged in as a guest. ( logon | register )

At random: "No one has done more to prevent conflict - no one has made a greater sacrifice for the cause for Peace - than you, America's proud missile submarine family. You stand tall among our heroes of the Cold War.” -- Gen. Colin Powell
All I asked for was a glass of water...
Moderators:

Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
   Forums-> Submarine DiscussionMessage format

Corabelle
Posted 2008-05-19 8:43 PM (#16061)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: All I asked for was a glass of water...

...and the waitress popped the top of a Boston Lager.

No wonder I was confused when she asked if I wanted a cold mug to put my drink in.

I said, "Sure." Didn't really understand why I wanted a cold mug for my glass of water, but what the heck.

This actually happened to me this evening at Fuddruckers.

I don't think I've ever finished a bottle of bear in my life. Not bragging, I just never acquired the taste.

Cora

Blue from West Oz
Posted 2008-05-20 4:17 AM (#16066 - in reply to #16061)

Master and Commander

Subject: RE: All I asked for was a glass of water...

Corabelle - 2008-05-20 10:43 AM

I don't think I've ever finished a bottle of bear in my life.
Cora

;

is that like Moosehead Beer?.....maybe it's an American cousin to our Koala Beer?

Blue *_*
Flapper
Posted 2008-05-20 5:24 AM (#16067 - in reply to #16066)

Master and Commander

It's from Samuel Adams brewery, one of America's few 'major' makers of decent beers and ales. I won't even drink Bud, Miller, Rocky Mountain piss (oops! I mean Coors), etc. But Samuel Adams, Anchor Steam, and any number of local so-called 'microbreweries' produce a range of pretty good product.

Nice story about Adams: there is a shortage of hops in the US due to a combination of weather and farmer's shift to growing corn for ethanol manufacturing (don't EVEN get me started on that topic!!!), .... which has been putting the hurts on microbreweries without reliable local suppliers. Samual Adams has stock excess to their needs, and they have made the excess available - through some sort of lottery method - to local breweries that are hurting.

Edited by Flapper 2008-05-20 5:24 AM
Corabelle
Posted 2008-05-20 9:21 AM (#16073 - in reply to #16066)

COMSUBBBS

Subject: Smart Ass !!!

And, I tried to be so careful with spelling, etc. Guess "bear" is a real word.

I wonder what the waitress did with the opened bottle of Boston Lager.

To you, Blue!

Cora
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-05-20 9:25 AM (#16074 - in reply to #16067)

Great Sage of the Sea

Flapper - 2008-05-20 5:24 AM

It's from Samuel Adams brewery, one of America's few 'major' makers of decent beers and ales. I won't even drink Bud, Miller, Rocky Mountain piss (oops! I mean Coors), etc. But Samuel Adams, Anchor Steam, and any number of local so-called 'microbreweries' produce a range of pretty good product.

Nice story about Adams: there is a shortage of hops in the US due to a combination of weather and farmer's shift to growing corn for ethanol manufacturing (don't EVEN get me started on that topic!!!), .... which has been putting the hurts on microbreweries without reliable local suppliers. Samual Adams has stock excess to their needs, and they have made the excess available - through some sort of lottery method - to local breweries that are hurting.

Sierra Nevada makes some great beers too. And the Sierra Nevadas are also known for their bears.

BB
Flapper
Posted 2008-05-20 12:03 PM (#16077 - in reply to #16074)

Master and Commander

BlackBeard - 2008-05-20 10:25 AM
Sierra Nevada makes some great beers too. And the Sierra Nevadas are also known for their bears. BB

BB, I spent my high school years (and a lot of vacation time afterwards) roaming the Sierra Nevadas. Graduated from Jackson Union High School in Amador County (in a senior class of 31 students!). I know the region between Tahoe and Yosemite pretty well, having been over all the passes and doing a lot of camping up where it's high and cool in the summertime.
BlackBeard
Posted 2008-05-20 1:09 PM (#16080 - in reply to #16077)

Great Sage of the Sea

Flapper - 2008-05-20 12:03 PM

BlackBeard - 2008-05-20 10:25 AM
Sierra Nevada makes some great beers too. And the Sierra Nevadas are also known for their bears. ;)BB

BB, I spent my high school years (and a lot of vacation time afterwards) roaming the Sierra Nevadas. Graduated from Jackson Union High School in Amador County (in a senior class of 31 students!). I know the region between Tahoe and Yosemite pretty well, having been over all the passes and doing a lot of camping up where it's high and cool in the summertime.

We go through Amador county every three years or so to buy wine. My Bro-in-law lives outside of Sacramento so we hang out at his place and tour wineries over the weekend. Nice place... (cue the banjo boy from Deliverance...) ;)

BB

Edited by BlackBeard 2008-05-20 1:10 PM
Flapper
Posted 2008-05-20 2:34 PM (#16082 - in reply to #16080)

Master and Commander

My youngest brother has a place and a 'retirement vineyard' a few miles north of Plymouth (on Shenandoah Rd); he sells his harvest to some of the local vintners. My sisters live in Drytown and just off the junction of Hwy 49 and Rte 16 on Ione Rd. Just the two oldest (me and my bro') 'flew the coop', never to return ... except for family gatherings.

And yes, there's bears in them thar hills ... mountain lions, too! I was coming down Hwy 88 from Tahoe once at night, and saw the biggest damn cat I've EVER seen! He (or she - I was going 60 and didn't catch the fine details) went bounding across the road maybe 100 ft in front of us and leaped up about 10 - 15 feet into the granite as graceful as you please. From nose tip to tail end, it extended the better part of a lane width ... 6 - 8 feet long. I was impressed, and I ain't that easy to impress!

And Corabelle: sorry about hijacking your thread! You know how it is with old sailors: once the conversational train leaves the station, Lord only knows what kind of detours it'll take and what little visited towns it'll pull into for a whistle-stop.
Tom Conlon
Posted 2008-05-20 8:55 PM (#16084 - in reply to #16061)
Old Salt

IMNSHO, most American beers like Miller, Bud, Coors, etc., are little more than swill. I refuse to drink them.

I *do* like Samuel Adams, tho. Another great American beer is Yuengling. Yuengling bills itself as America's oldest brewery. It comes from PA. It's *really* good beer. However, I feel bad fro you folks who don't live in the Norteastg and Baltimore area. You can only get it in this area.
MAD DOG
Posted 2008-05-20 9:33 PM (#16085 - in reply to #16084)

Master and Commander

Tom Conlon - 2008-05-20 8:55 PM

IMNSHO, most American beers like Miller, Bud, Coors, etc., are little more than swill. I refuse to drink them.

I *do* like Samuel Adams, tho. Another great American beer is Yuengling. Yuengling bills itself as America's oldest brewery. It comes from PA. It's *really* good beer. However, I feel bad fro you folks who don't live in the Norteastg and Baltimore area. You can only get it in this area.

I'm enjoying a Yuengling right here in Va.Beach,even as we speak.
Darrin
Posted 2008-05-21 4:11 AM (#16089 - in reply to #16061)

Great Sage of the Sea

Can get it here in Newport News also, don't care for it much myself but others on Torsk love that beer.
PaulR
Posted 2008-05-21 5:54 AM (#16091 - in reply to #16084)

Master and Commander

Tom Conlon - 2008-05-20 11:55 PMIMNSHO, most American beers like Miller, Bud, Coors, etc., are little more than swill. I refuse to drink them.I *do* like Samuel Adams, tho. Another great American beer is Yuengling. Yuengling bills itself as America's oldest brewery. It comes from PA. It's *really* good beer. However, I feel bad fro you folks who don't live in the Norteastg and Baltimore area. You can only get it in this area.

Sam Adams is my "standby brew".  It's readily available and I enjoy several of their products.

I remember my uncle buying Yuengling some 20 years back, maybe longer.  Then, you could only get it in bulk beverage places.  It was VERY INEXPENSIVE then and I recall they sold it in 16oz THICK brown glass bottles.  It must have been way before recycling started because I remember it being a big deal to return the emties to the store.

At that time it was a big step up in flavor from the mass market stuff of that time.  Today, I think it is still better than them, but so many others taste better IMHO.   I would never serve a Shipmate Bud, Miller, Coors, Corona, etc.  If they were to request it, I would go buy it special, but they would have to ask for it.
John396
Posted 2008-05-21 12:46 PM (#16095 - in reply to #16061)
Old Salt

Flapper talks about Dry Town.
I wish I had a $ for every time I had breakfast at the Old Well in Dry Town. I have a cabin in Twain Harte, and ussualy eat there once either coming or going. John396
Skii
Posted 2008-05-21 3:10 PM (#16098 - in reply to #16061)

Great Sage of the Sea

I really didn't want to respond to this but after thinking about it felt there was no wahy I couldn't.
Cora did a typical submariner goof. She went to a restaurant drunk, the waitress knew it and
by golly any one coming in in that stuper and condition wouldn't order a glass of water nor get one.
So she simply served her what she looked like she needed a case of beer. Well as it usually goes
the story was watered down to one beer by the time she told it.

Cora that is usually what we told the Captain at Mast. I only ordred one Beer.

Hope you enjoyed it and what you started HICCUPPP hope you only get 30 days confinement.

XXXXXX
Ski
Jump to page : 1
Now viewing page 1 [25 messages per page]
Printer friendly version
E-mail a link to this thread
Jump to forum :

(Delete all cookies set by this site)
Running MegaBBS ASP Forum Software v2.0
© 2003 PD9 Software